Ride The Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride The Lightning

My favorite Metallica's guitar tone,I know it's a Mark MK II c+ into a marshall head return,but which amp today can give that cool crunch?Actually I think Laneys and Mark series.What do you think?Any eq trick to achieve it with other gear?Lets talk abuot this cool tone:P

Re: Ride The Lightning

They only used Marshalls on that album, with Tube Screamers...didn't use the Mesa/Boogie stuff til that tour.

Comment

Definitely use a Marshall JCM800 #2204 (50watt), and an Ibanez Tube screamer TS-9. Pick up's should be Jackson J90C's. If you can get your hand on a 1984 JCM800, that would be ideal. I've tried other years, but the 84's seem to have something special. Put all of this together, and tha ability to play the tune, and you'll be shredding with the tone you want. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      1990 Jackson Professional
      1992 Dean ML
      2004 Epiphone Flying V
      2005 Epiphone Dot
      2009 Fender Stratocaster
      2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
      2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
      2006 Fender P Bass
      2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
      1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
      1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
      Custom Pedalboard
      ADA MP1
      ADA FX2
      Tascam 2488

Comment

thanks for the explanations guys,I'd love to try a mark II c+ but here in Italy they are pretty hard to try out.Although I'm a "marshall tone guy",I think I will like the mark II pretty much.

Comment

Well,my GH50L can nail that tone almost the same,but it still lacks something....maybe post production:P

Comment

compression and three of you doing it at once [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...if you got close then you're ok...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

ADA MP-1 on the left, Digitech GSP-21 Legend/Pro on the right, both into the mixer, EQ it up, and there you have it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle:
                unless you buy a marshall plexi a vintage marshall will never sound REALLY good clean (imho), so imo if you want to be versatile in terms of heaviness you will need 2 amps, a vintage marshall for the crunch and a vox ac30 or a fender for the cleans....OR a boogie c+, that damn thing sounds almost fender like
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">James' clean tone is a Roland JC120 stereo chorus combo. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not back then...he didn't use the Roland til the AJFA days, or even the black album.

Comment

That album was recorded predominantly with James Hetfields' Marshall which was modded by Jose Arrendondo. It was regarded as "the amp" back in the day due to its crushing tone. Combine that with the fact that it was recorded at ridiculous volume levels, and you have an idea of how hard it would be to re-create that monster tone. I recall reading somewhere that James double or triple tracked some of the rhythms on that album as well. Good luck!

Comment

jep, you're right, they used mesa for their master of puppets album (which has - beside various dream theater records - the most beautiful tone ever); for ride they used tuned marshall heads(i dont know which one). if you are looking for the ride tone a vintage marshall (jmp mark II, jcm800 2203...) is your way to go. if you are looking for the mop tone go with a mesa mark2 c+ (if you can afford the damn thing) or a mesa dc10 head. i think both setups (marshall-boogie) are equally good sounding, its just a question of your personal preferences. however, the boogie has a way better clean tone. unless you buy a marshall plexi a vintage marshall will never sound REALLY good clean (imho), so imo if you want to be versatile in terms of heaviness you will need 2 amps, a vintage marshall for the crunch and a vox ac30 or a fender for the cleans....OR a boogie c+, that damn thing sounds almost fender like (listen to john petruccis clean tone) and has a better crunch than the rectifiers.

fragle

Comment

If I recall right, James also used a Duncan Invader Pickup in his Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by MetalChef:
                          If I recall right, James also used a Duncan Invader Pickup in his Explorer
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that sounds strange because in my opinion the invader has the worst sound ever and doesnt sound like james at all. invader users may forgive me but i think the invader is only useful for numetal bands who want to hide their lack of technique behind a HUGE wall of mud [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] just think about tom delonge (alright, pseudo-punk, but if possible his playing is even worse than the playing of some numetal guys (or should i say gays?)

fragle

Comment

James never used an Invader in his Explorer...I have a great close-up shot of that guitar, there are stock Gibsons in there. He did use an Invader in that white Flying V copy of his later on though.

Comment

well, low end punch is a great thing but i think the low end should come from your amp and not from your pickups because bass-heavy pu's get muddy really fast. in a bright, light guitar like a ibanez it can be useful to give the damn thing a sound and not just harsh noise [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but never (i repeat: NEVER) use a invader in a les paul or a explorer or any other heavy guitar built of mahagony [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                              well, back to the topic. what about the lead tones from metallica? the rythm tones are the best on mop and ride in my opinion, but the kill em all has a great lead tone. the lead tone on the black album is killer, too (think of struggle within. what do you think? (note: i'm only talking about metallica lead tones. when it comes to the best lead tone in general i would say nevermore on dead heart in a dead world or dream theater on images and words)

fragle

Comment

Working...
                              X