Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dream Theater - Train of Thought

i dont think myung gets lost in the mix. you can hear him on every album. maybe i am used to albums with little to no bass guitar (think and justice for all, james scooped the **** out of his sound and jason is completely blown out of the album [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] or think emperor...those black metal **** is mixed without any bass ^^). furthermore, i dont think JP's sound is very scooped on images and words. i think his sound is pretty normal (maybe you think its scooped because of his scooped bridge pu?), but maybe i'm used to more scooped stuff (again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) such like ajfa or exhorder oder the early death....THAT is scooped!

but, **** it, his sound is great! i actually think his lead tone was the best DT lead tone ever on images. his rythm tone is pretty cool on awake - and ToT. bah, i want a roadking [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
      Enigma, it has taken me quite a few listens to get my ears totally wrapped around Train of Thought, but I really appreciate it now, as well as the direction the band have decided to go. I agree that the relative lack of keyboards on ToT was a problem at first, but the keyboards in DT haven't been that great since Kevin was in the band--he's nowhere near as technically gifted as either Derek or Jordan, but his keyboard parts added a lot more to the music, in my opinion--something of an avant-garde edge, rather than just pads and solos.

At least the new direction rocks a lot more than most of Six Degrees, which I grew tired of rather quickly.

One other good thing about ToT--you can actually discern John Myung's bass-playing for once!! Once Petrucci went for the heavily scooped sound on Images and Words, Myung seemed to disappear in the mix. Check out the first album to hear how great Myung can be when not buried in the mix.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree about Moore, his parts just created the mood, the atmostphere and made DT almost sound like a band from the future or another planet. Very different. His playing was very prominent on Awake, I have listened to that album so many times I have every sound memorized LOL.

Comment

Since I bought Train of Thought I've listened to it more than enough times to lose count. It is such a great CD! And I love it when a bands save the best song on the CD for last. In The Name of God is one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard!

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
          One other good thing about ToT--you can actually discern John Myung's bass-playing for once!! Once Petrucci went for the heavily scooped sound on Images and Words, Myung seemed to disappear in the mix.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's because no one seems to realize the bass player needs to use more mid range when playing along with a scooped guitar sound. Rex from Pantera had that mastered to go along with Darrell's sound. How come no one else can seem to figure this out? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know, a lot of bands are stupid with EQing each instrument. I don't get the whole bass craving so many guitarists have, that's kinda the bass players job. An exception here would be doom metal type bands that tune way low, use a lot of bass frequency, and play very slow. I play very fast and intricate, so if I set up my rig like say, Korn, everything I play turns to mush. I don't want mush, I want my fast riffs to get that machine gun type of sound. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

For anyone who hasn't done it yet - play the CD on yer computer.
              [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cool stuff....
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Bought the new DT a week ago maybe. Much heavier and angrier. After a few listens, its growing on me. John's at his usual best.
                My fav DT album is Awake although A Change of Seasons is a very close 2nd. A former bandmate and I used to do a two acoustic guitar performance of Silent Man at this old country/folk/openmic thing in St Charles, Mo. All of these older guys with lapsteels, banjos, and Martin D-45's playing James Taylor, John Dnever, etc. We'd play SM and you could hear crickets. The ol timers actually dug the song but kept askin, "now, what wuzzat chord thingy you did in there?" We also worked up a 6 pc version of Another Day which took a while to get down tight but to this day, playing that song as a band was the most emotional musical experience in my life. You know....when something sounds exactly as you intended, as good as the recording, and you felt it all the way thru the song? Man, I'd love to feel that again.
                DT Rules!

Comment

I picked it up like a week ago too, and it's growing on me more and more. I've played it on my computer, but it won't let me access Dream Theater's site with it. Says something about AOL not supporting it and won't let me open the file. I've had the same problem with my Motley Crue, Metallica, AIC and Gov't Mule cds. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My old crappy home computer couldn't access the 'special web features', either. Oh well, the album is good enough by itself. I love this one a lot.

Comment

I have been a DT fan since I first heared something of their stuff (scenes from a memory), but I must say, I was disappointed. I love the old DT stuff really much (best album I own: Images and Words), but this is not what I liked DT for.

harrald

Comment

Working...
                      X