Metallica and their success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica and their success

A couple days ago I happened to hear some kids gushing about the utter coolness of Metallica. It never ceases to amaze me the incredibly positive reaction this band gets. Even if one was just a fan for a short period in their life. I’d never really analyzed their music, so I started wondering exactly why this was. It has to be more than image, any band can wear skull T-shirts, snarl at the crowd, and play in a minor key. Other bands can play fast and sing about death too. I was in my car yesterday and they spun the song Leper Messiah on the radio, and I carefully listened to it. Metallica has got two things in their sound that really compliment one other, and give them their unforgettable sound. Can anyone guess at these? Remember these two musical factors compliment each other.

Ok. Number one is the incredible tone they have to their rhythm guitars. Some of their songs have the best Rock rhythm guitar sound I’ve ever heard. James and Kirk have chemistry on rhythm. Number two is the unique singing of James Hetfield. The thing is here he really compliments the rhythm guitars with his aggressive voice, while staying in tune with them, and it all forms one unified bombast. That’s it. Kirk is an adequate soloist (and one of the nicest guys on the planet), but I find some of his solos to be odd, and a few even irritating. I’ll admit Lars is a kick-ass drummer, but if you really think about it he is ancillary to their larger success. (Especially if you don’t count lawsuits.)

Modern equipment helped: like 80’s guitars, double humbucking pick-ups, tremolo systems, effects, and amps. (All to the chagrin of a new guitarist who realizes he’ll have to spend serious cash for that sound.) But other bands had access to the same equipment. Metallica’s effects package set them apart, at least for a while. It sounds like their own blend of overdrive, reverb, a subtle delay (probably a flanger or chorus set low), compression sustain, and equalization. It’s a full rich tone, trying to stay just shy of washing out the signal. The natural, artificial and resonant harmonics sound awesome. Does anyone know exactly which effects they used?

Hetfield speaks for himself. A great Rock singer is the hardest dude in a band to find, and like it or not, he is Metallica. He’s taken a lot of crap the last few years for various things, but as long as he keeps his gear, has Kirk around to double his rhythm parts, and doesn’t catch on fire, it’s all good. And how bad could a guy who used to put a sticker on the headstock of his guitar with the saying, “Kill Bon Jovi!!” be anyway?

Re: Metallica and their success

are you one of those pagan front dudes? i noticed your icon just wondering. if so, more hails!

i just liiked metallica's music from kill em all to master lol and thought it was pretty good doesnt matter what they did to make it good imo

[ November 22, 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: KE2KV2Rules ]

Comment

Pagan Front dudes? No. Are you a member of the Johnny Bravo fan club?

Comment

me? lol nah. i just like that cartoon its funny. i like anime more though. where did you get that skull. that was a symbol of the pagan front. if i recall correctl. and with your german name thats why i suspected. just a suspicion. anyway nice to meet you.

just wanted to share my thoughts on metallica. i've been listening to a lot of metal throughout the years, primarily black, but also death, thrash, NWOBHM and some power. my experience i've always thought metallica to be the best of 80s thrash. i've listened to american, south american and german now i now that couldnt possibly cover all the thrash back then but thats a lot and i've always found them the best. i've nver seen whats so good about slayer. i'm entitled to my opinion and your entitled to yours so let's just leave it at that. cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by KE2KV2Rules:
          me? lol nah. i just like that cartoon its funny. i like anime more though. where did you get that skull. that was a symbol of the pagan front. if i recall correctl. and with your german name thats why i suspected.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not a problem KE2. And bro, you know your German, it is indeed a German expression. Your the first person to ever point it out. When I registered with this forum under that handle, my account wasn't approved for over a week, I figured the Moderators were trying to figure out what it meant. It's German for "death head". Thus my choice of that picture. And I think I got the picture from a WW2 website that had small images of the symbols that the American and German Army divisions used. But I just like the name, not a political thing or anything like that.

Who exactly are these Pagan Front dudes anyway? Whoever they are, they don't sound very original for one thing. The death head symbol has been used by countless units and organizations throughout history.

Comment

not for nuttin but that look like the skull and cross bones that the german SS used to wear on thier hats.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

yes it is. i was gonna have a couple of those tatooed on my neck. i decided against it cause i figured people would brand me a nazi for the rest of my life

Originally posted by eddie_van_earache:
              not for nuttin but that look like the skull and cross bones that the german SS used to wear on thier hats.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Metallica were good because they had good songs. Jaymz sings about as bad as Neil Young, but they are both great musicians because they both write (or I should say wrote) good songs.....You can have the best singer and best guitar tone & talent on the planet, but if your songs are like Nitro's, then youre gonna stink up the place.........

Comment

While I'm not happy with Metallica's postion in the music scene like so many others, they are indeed a really good band. I saw them play Saint Anger on the American Musical Awards or whatever, and it sounded really good.

BTW Totenkopf, awesome name and avatar!

It has been a while since I've seen Johnny Bravo on TV, since I very rarely watch TV anymore. Dexters Laboratory and Edd, Ed, and Eddie are good cartoons. I'm also more of an anime kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Ninja. And in reply to buzzsaw above, I might have it worse than he could have, you see a lot of the people who know me have branded me a Republican.

And I checked, the SS had a very large variety of insignias, with many variations on the ancient skull and crossbones symbol. And dammit, I guess my avatar does resemble one of them. But so did one that Kirk Hammett was wearing on his t-shirt back in the 80s. I didn’t mean anything political, so before I find another skull and bones image, are there any ones that are politically correct and wouldn’t offend someone someplace? It’s a friggin’ symbol of death after all.

Comment

don't get me wrong man, i don't have a problem with it. i have a thing for skull and crossed bones myself. i was going to have one (just like yours) tattooed on each side of my neck connected by a big ass tattooed chain. i think it would have been badass and i may get it done anyway now that i'm older and don't give a **** anymore. As i said i didn't wanna go through life explaining what the **** it meant to everyone. it's a total pain in the ass explaining my others ones to people with no imagination. i could just hear it, what does that mean? are you a neonazi? are you a militiaman? etc... i really have no time for stupid people
                      no one knows you're a republican till you start talking [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Totenkopf:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Ninja. And in reply to buzzsaw above, I might have it worse than he could have, you see a lot of the people who know me have branded me a Republican.

And I checked, the SS had a very large variety of insignias, with many variations on the ancient skull and crossbones symbol. And dammit, I guess my avatar does resemble one of them. But so did one that Kirk Hammett was wearing on his t-shirt back in the 80s. I didn’t mean anything political, so before I find another skull and bones image, are there any ones that are politically correct and wouldn’t offend someone someplace? It’s a friggin’ symbol of death after all.
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Yup, same skull ESP used on some of their guitars in the 80s. You see em every now and then on Ebay, usually go for a pretty decent price. A friend of mine got one, then found out about the Nazi connection and...ehhh...decided he didn't think it would be a good idea to play it at gigs, "just in case", yaknow...hehe.

As far as Metallica, you hit on some major points but, as with most anything popular, it's the total package that gets the high raves. You gotta have it all in the songs--great sound, great vocals, great lyrics etc.--for most people to consider it an exceptional song. Just like bands that write "pop hits" generally have one or two on each album--not every song has just the right mix of everything. For that same reason, you'll notice that some Metallica songs on each album are more well known and recognized than others, even though a lot of people might tell you they love every song on the album. The most common difference between the majority loving a song and LOVING a song, I think you'd find, is whether that song's lyrics "say something" that hits on a more general human condition of the audience, that more of the audience relates to, or believes they relate to. People generally like and hold dear the things that have some sort of personal meaning to them.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkopf:
                          Some of their songs have the best Rock rhythm guitar sound I’ve ever heard. James and Kirk have chemistry on rhythm.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mo, they don't have chemistry on rhythm. James played all the rhythm guitar by himself on all albums up to the black album. Kirk only did solos. The only other person who can play rhythm like James is Dave Mustaine.

[ November 22, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                            I saw them play Saint Anger on the American Musical Awards or whatever, and it sounded really good.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heh, I thought they sounded like crap on the AMA. That new unsigned band that played after them sounded much better. And James' voice just seems to be getting worse.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Totenkopf:
                              Some of their songs have the best Rock rhythm guitar sound I’ve ever heard. James and Kirk have chemistry on rhythm.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mo, they don't have chemistry on rhythm. James played all the rhythm guitar by himself on all albums up to the black album. Kirk only did solos. The only other person who can play rhythm like James is Dave Mustaine. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That reminds me of one of the times I saw Megadeth live. For some reason Dave stopped playing during part of a song, and I remember thinking how bad Marty was on rhythm. That just stuck in my head.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X