Saw Brian Setzer last nite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Brian Setzer last nite

I went with some guys who are big Setzer fans and was totally blown away by how good a guitar player he is. Not my kind of music, but very entertaining.

He played all Gretsch signature models with a Fender Bassman that had a very warm, smooth tone. It's too bad he doesn't play Jackson or Charvels because he did a ton of solos.

It wasn't a shredfest, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Re: Saw Brian Setzer last nite

I caught him a short time ago in the same circumstance-a bunch of friends were going and I said sure, why not.
    I was impressed too!

Comment

He's rockabilly on steriod!! And he's one hell of an entertainer! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Cham

Comment

Brian Setzer rocks plain and simple. It may not be everyones' cup o' tea, but any guitar player will probably recognize him at least for his licks. He's a hard one to keep up with even if you don't dig the style. He definitely knows his way around a six string.

Comment

I'm a Stray Cats fan from way back [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I recently picked up a "Hits" or Best of whatever CD of their best stuff from the first two albums, and yes, he's got Rockabilly nailed.
          I heard some snippets of the big band/swing stuff he did with his Orchestra a few years ago, and I'm hoping to run across those discs as I'm a fan of Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman as well [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I saw the Stray Cats live for their first album in New Orleans - man that was a show [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          What really freaks you out (as a musician, IMO) is to keep in mind the drummer has only a kick, a snare, a hi hat, and a crash. No toms, no ride, no nothing else, yet he kicks more ass than Eric Carr did.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, he's popular so he can't be any good. Kinda like ESP's around here... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What I like about Setzer is he just seems so completely cut off from anything that's said about him. There's just this "Whatever, dude." attitude when it comes to people that don't like hist stuff. Gotta love that. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

yep, he kicks too much ass... newc, if you want, i'll copy his first orchestra disc and throw it in with the hot rails...

i've seen him once, and i wish i could play that stuff... it's too much fun. he's a really nice guy, too.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The funny part is the younger shred guys (not all but most) overlook some really really good guitar players because they don't expand their horizons and worry about talent and not gain. Dave Edmonds and Brian Setzer were great great musicians... Rockibily to Country to Jazz to Metal all have their major talents and it's a great way to be fully inspired by guitar by just listening to the skill level of some of these guys.
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                  i've seen him once, and i wish i could play that stuff...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wish I could play his stuff right, I can fake a lot of it but he uses some jazz chords that I can *just* about finger but it take 10 mins to do it [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Anyone who likes Brian should get the BSO live in Japan DVD. 100% kickass

Also don't miss Ignition ('68 comeback special) for some trio stuff. I havent got the new trio cd yet, Nitro Burning Funny Daddy, but I have heard it's pretty good.

Comment

yeah, ignition is a good one too... i was surprised when i first heard it b/c i didn't know he wasn't doin an orchestra record... it's pretty stray cats-y to me, but i like it.

thanks for the dvd tip, is it easy to find?

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah toss me a copy in with the HR - thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

He started doing some trio stuff while touring with the big band, it got such a good reception he put out a trio album.

I got the DVD at Media Play or Best Buy so I'd say it's easy to get.

Oh yea, he is doing a mini tour with the Stray Cats in Europe next year, so if your on the other side of the pond check it out.

Comment

Brian Setzer is my GOD! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Oh don't mention that he is a real rockabilly player around rockabilly fans.... it's sorta like coming here and talking about how kickass ESP's are. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

He is way talented and a very nice guy. I have his instruction video and still can't play his stuff...very technical and a lot of stuff going on at once.

Comment

Working...
                            X