John Sykes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Sykes

Man! i just can't get enough of John Sykes' tone. I was listening to his new stuff "I wish it would rain". The solo totally screams!! The sweetness of straight into the amp tone!!!

Cham

Re: John Sykes

He had some great moments with Whitesnake...well...before Coverdale decided to "cut" him out of the tour after all the studio work he did [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

He was great with Blue Murder too [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

He has a great vibrato and can wail when he needs to...definately underrated.

Comment

oh yeah, especially right after friggin' Coverdale fired him, Coverdale got Vandenburg. So a lot of people saw Vandy on tour, playing Sykes' stuff. So people thought it was Vandy who played evrything on the Whitesnake album (the first one).

Its ok though. Even Vivian Campbell got screwed over by Vandy.

haha, so um, make a story short, if you were a guitarist in Whitesnake, you'll always be cut down by Coverdale. I think all his guitarists were great, and really underrated.

but yeah, john was awesome. I liked his sig. guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
        oh yeah, especially right after friggin' Coverdale fired him, Coverdale got Vandenburg. So a lot of people saw Vandy on tour, playing Sykes' stuff. So people thought it was Vandy who played evrything on the Whitesnake album (the first one).

Its ok though. Even Vivian Campbell got screwed over by Vandy.

haha, so um, make a story short, if you were a guitarist in Whitesnake, you'll always be cut down by Coverdale. I think all his guitarists were great, and really underrated.

but yeah, john was awesome. I liked his sig. guitar.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Coverdale is a pussy! He'd just cut anybody off who's more talented than himself! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cham

Comment

The "Still of The Night" album was not the first Whitesnake album. Several were made before it; it was just the first one to hit big in the US market, that's all.
          I agree, it was foolish to fire Sykes though. If he'd stayed Whitesnake would've been even much bigger than it was through the 80s. Bad call, David.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Man...I always loved "Slide it In". That is a blast to play with a band [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Whitesnake had some serious songs to pick apart [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

One of the coolest rock stars I ever hung out with. I'll dig the pics up soon.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by skidd:
                One of the coolest rock stars I ever hung out with. I'll dig the pics up soon.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Skidd! YOu hung out with John Sykes!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pictures pictures!! Quick! Quick!

Cham

Comment

I reckon i asked this before, but do any of you know where i can get John Sykes solo ablums Tabs?

Thanx
                  Cham

Comment

Coverdale didn't actually fire Sykes, if I recall correctly. Everything on the '1987' album but the vocals was recorded in 1985, after which Coverdale developed a problem with his sinus cavity requiring surgery, and he couldn't sing for the better part of a year. Sykes and the rest of the band quit rather than wait around for Coverdale to get better--I don't think they could afford the time off. Coverdale finished the vocals on the 1987 record without there actually being a Whitesnake 'band' at that point.

Sykes also toured and played on the American version of the Slide It In album before that. But the same thing happened with that album, in a sense. Mel Galley played second guitar on it, but he was already out of the band by the time it was released in America. Interestingly, Sykes had been hired by Coverdale to replace Micky Moody, a bluesier player who had played in Whitesnake since the beginning--and who had played on the original European version of Slide It In! Sykes went in and recorded 'heavier' guitar parts as part of a total remix of the album after Geffen signed Whitesnake in America, because the new label wanted to position Whitesnake as a metal band, rather than the blues-rock band they had been before.

For anyone who doesn't know what the original Whitesnake was like, check out the "Ready an' Willing" album from 1981--one of the best 'bluesy-rock' albums ever made.

Comment

Before I had a CD player, I had all of Whitesnake's recordings on cassette... I should have hung on to them until I replaced them with CDs...
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

I have a related Whitesnake question...I've heard a total of 3 different versions of Here I Go Again...one is the most common one that starts out with the big keyboards and Coverdale singing, then the rest of the band comes in. The second one I've heard starts out with the whole band, and the solo to me is sub-par compared to the first version. The last one is the most odd...it's like the first version, but it has a much bluesier feel, with an organ replacing the keyboards!! As my amiga Summer would say, What's the deal??

Comment

The older stuff reminds me of a Foghat vein. The bass player on the original 'Fool for your lovin' is playing some tasty lines tho.

Comment

Suuure, make me try to remember!!! I thought that I was missing a song that was re-done... Crying in the Rain may have been it...
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

The original "Fool for Your Lovin" was on Ready an' Willing, which came out in 1980 (not '81, as I stated earlier). This earlier version is much superior to the later version on Slip of the Tongue. Better vocals and a slower tempo on the earlier version that bring out the songwriting more.

The original versions of "Crying in the Rain" and "Here I Go Again" are on the Saints an' Sinners album from 1982. The original guitarists on all these tracks are Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden, though Marsden is not credited on Saints an' Sinners, as he had left by the time the album was released (a regular theme with Whitesnake???) These are the versions with Hammond organ referenced above--featuring the great Jon Lord on organ.

The latter two songs were rerecorded for the 1987 album because Whitesnake had lost their original U.S. record deal, so Saints an' Sinners was not released in the USA when new--it only became available on cd after the 1987 album hit big. So, basically, not even most U.S. residents who actually knew about the earlier Whitesnake (not many) had heard these songs.

Personally, I prefer the 1987 versions of these two songs, because Saints an' Sinners was a horrible-sounding recording featuring some band members who sounded like they wanted to be somewhere else--several quit after the music tracks were recorded. Whitesnake was already big in Europe at that point, but were virtually unknown in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X