Unleashed in the East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unleashed in the East

I've been spinning this disc in the car a lot lately. This is just an absolutely killer disc. It's amazing - I've been listening to this album since I was in high school and it still kicks ass. It still sounds fresh to me. "Victims of Changes" remains one of my all time favorite metal tunes and the live version is just killer. Anyone else still into this disc?

I'm really looking forward to seeing them in 2004 with Halford back in the band. The stuff they did with Ripper Owens was pretty good but nobody can replace Halford.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Unleashed in the East

Dude, I think you are absolutely correct. That is the best live album EVER in my opinion. I, too, have listened to it since it came out, and I still pop it in from time to time when I wanna scream my lungs out! heh heh... Actually, the remastered one with the bonus tracks ("Starbreaker", etc...) sounds even better!

I cannot wait to hear the new Priest stuff. I think (and hope like hell) that it will pick up where Painkiller left off. I doubt that Rob would let them write shitty material like Demolition for the comeback album.... especially after his successful solo Halford discs. He truly IS the metal God!!

Comment

Unleashed in the East is the live album to measure others to. Even if you don't dig JP, the quality is phenom...

Exciter, freakin rocks...I would love to hear that song updated with modern sounding guitars and mix. I think Scott Travis could really tear it up.

Has anyone seen the DVD Live in London? It's super, a must for any JP fan.

I've been a Priest fan since way back. In junior high I was listening to Stained Class and British Steel while everyone else was into Bananarama or whatever.

How about the Glen Tipton solo disc? I read a really good interview with him a while back saying how he wrote that not knowing if there was even going to be another JP album. I think some of those songs would have been great with Scott Travis and Ripper.

Painkiller is one of my favorites and I really hope they pick up where that left off.

Comment

I haven't heard it in some time, But I remember not liking it that much.

But I really like my Sad Wings of Destiny tape

Comment

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but didn't they basically rerecord the whole thing in the studio? I thought I'd read that somewhere. Whatever the case, the live "Manalishi" from that album is a personal favorite.

Comment

It is the one Judas Priest album to own if you were to get just one. Of course I have almost all their stuff right up to Turbo Lover, which was pretty awful. For studio albums, I would say that Sad Wings or Stained Class are my favorites, but Unleashed is THE BEST overall priest album ever.

Chuck
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Unleashed in the East is my favorite live album of all time. I saw them when this album 1st came out when they opened for Kiss. Next on my live album list is Strangers in the Night by UFO. Damn thats a good album.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                Not to burst anyone's bubble, but didn't they basically rerecord the whole thing in the studio? I thought I'd read that somewhere. Whatever the case, the live "Manalishi" from that album is a personal favorite.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you are mixing up Priest with Kiss Alive 1. I have never heard that story.

Comment

JG, I have heard that story about "Unleashed" too, but I choose not to believe it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] By the way, "Diamonds and Rust" is my favorite from that album.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Actually, the studio story was that all the music was recorded live, but something was wrong with the vocal track, so Rob had to re-record his vocals in the studio over the live track. I remember people back in the day calling it "Unleashed in the Studio" and other b.s. like that. It's not like Halford couldn't sing live....everyone who's ever seen them knows that Halford has never had a problem singing live. It was just a recording screw up. So basically, all the music is absolutely live, but the vocals are dubbed. No big deal to me though....I love that CD! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                      Unleashed in the East is my favorite live album of all time. I saw them when this album 1st came out when they opened for Kiss. Next on my live album list is Strangers in the Night by UFO. Damn thats a good album.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Without a doubt!! "Unleashed in the East" is by far is "THE" live album that all other metal bands must measure up to!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                      I agree!, UFO's "Strangers in the Night" is a close second for best live album!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                      I pickup up Unleasted +4 about a year ago new for about $10. This album was remastered and contains 4 extra live tracks from that period!!
                      The "live" verions of "Rock Forever" and "Deliver the Goods" total Kick some serious Butt!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      Byfar the best studio album is "Hell bent for Leather"! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Brian:
                        I doubt that Rob would let them write shitty material like Demolition for the comeback album.... especially after his successful solo Halford discs. He truly IS the metal God!!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No sh1t. The first time I spun Resurrection I couldn't believe it. From the opening of that tune and just belting Resssssurrrrrrrecccccction, I figured that would be the end of that sort of thing in the tune and he'd back off the vocals but hell no, he kicks in harder. He can fukking sing!
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

99% of live albums are done in the studio. Most live albums simply keep the drum tracks from the live show and them overdub everything else. Has anyone got the new Priest DVD yet?.........

Comment

UITE opened my eyes to metal.

Viiiic-tim of chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                            aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnngggggggeeeeee
                            eeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jgcable:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Without a doubt!! "Unleashed in the East" is by far is "THE" live album that all other metal bands must measure up to!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                              I agree!, UFO's "Strangers in the Night" is a close second for best live album!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                              I pickup up Unleasted +4 about a year ago new for about $10. This album was remastered and contains 4 extra live tracks from that period!!
                              The "live" verions of "Rock Forever" and "Deliver the Goods" total Kick some serious Butt!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              Byfar the best studio album is "Hell bent for Leather"! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I should have known with your screen name that you would chime in on Strangers in the Night. Schenker at his best. Man I love that dude. What feel. Doctor Doctor please.....

Comment

Working...
                              X