Gary Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Moore

hey guys. Im trying to broaden my musical tastes and trying to listen to different guitar players, so i'm interested in Gary Moore. Especially his shredding period. What do you guys reckon is his best shredding album?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Gary Moore

Victims of the Future
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I'll second that. Corridors of Power wasn't to bad either but was less heavy and a little more blended diversity. Gary has a taste for ballads, so there's usually one or two on those albums.

He had a killer sound on Victims.

Comment

I still love the tone, feel, and phrasing of "Still Got the Blues". I realize that it isn't "shredding" perse, but damn, he had some great moments on that track!!

I can listen to his stuff all day, just like Eric Johnson.....Cliffs of Dover was Eric's highlight.....

Other players who just kill me are Pink Floyds David Gilmour, Danny Gatton (RIP), Brent Mason, John Petrucci, and Ace Frehley.

Comment

I agree, his blues stuff is killer too. There's some great playing on 'Still got the Blues' and 'After Hours'. Gary reminds me of Frank Marino in his intensity, but he has a better voice and writing skills.

Comment

After the War.
            Rockin every night Live in Japan, is great stuff too.

Comment

Out in The Fields and Run for Cover were always favorites of mine. I never really dug the vocals on his albums, but the guitar playing and tone were always unbelievable.

Chuck
              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Make that Wild Frontier, not Out in The Fields, man I gotta stop doin drugs!

Chuck
                "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

And don't forget his time with Thin Lizzy...."Waiting for an Alibi" is one of the baddest twin leads out there! It's a really interesting hammer on solo that is very original.

Comment

Gary Moore... One of the bestand underrated guitarists of all time.
                    He deserves MOORE [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anywa, Check his live albums.Like "We want Moore" from mid 80's.
                    or Video of Live from Stockholm from Wild Frontier tour in late 80's.

Comment

Gary got progressively more commercial with each release as he chased that elusive US breakthrough. So I think Victims is the best of his heavier stuff.

Run for Cover is also very good, has some great tunes, but not as heavy. Military Man is one of my faves, but loads of strong material. Out In The Fields (with Phil Lynott), Once In A Lifetime, the title track.

Wild Frontier? I loved The Loner, great instrumental. Other than that, the album didn't do much for me. Friday on my mind as the single? Puh-lease. I finally get to hear Gary Moore on the radio and it's a very 80s Easybeats cover.

After The War was a much better album, although not as good as Victims or RFC. And he does a beautiful cover of Roy Buchanan's The Messiah Will Come Again.

I picked up the Stockholm vid on ebay a couple of months ago. Great playing, great guitars, but CHEEEES-eee!!

The Emerald Aisles video is much MUCH better. It's not a concert vid though, it's a tour vid. So you get lots of concert footage from different shows, interspersed with doco footage of Gary's return to Ireland for the first time in 10 years, supporting the Victims album.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Check out:
                        Thin Lizzy: Black Rose, some great Moore chops!
                        G-force: A band Gary was in before his solo career took off, great stuff!
                        Back on the Streets,
                        Corridors of Power,
                        Victims of the Future, and of corse the "Live" album: We want Moore [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gary Moore was a great hard rock/metal player before doing the blues thing!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X