• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimebag Darrell\'s pickup

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

heh basically he used on all his greatest records a bill lawrence l500xl and a SD '59

BUT
      from what i know 59 isn't a blade humbucker

so on vulgar display of power he uses in his ( i think bulletholes graphic paintjob dean )
      a hum with blades in a neck that looks exactly like a black lawrence

Comment

I know the answer to this one........CFH, Vulger Display and Far beyond Driven dime used the L500XL/Duncan 59 combo. He also had one of his ML's equipped with a Duncan Invader/Duncan 59 combo. He also used 2 L500XL's in some of his guitars. Hands down he was a diehard Bill Lawrence fan. After Great Southern Trend kill he started using an exact replica of the L500XL made by Duncan and not until recently it was made available to the public.

I had an L500XL in my Dean MLXT Phantom and also in my NJ Series BC Rich Warlock with the alder body. It totaly had harmonics and it could get that chugging palm mute thing too. It is dependant on EQ. If you want alot of bottom out of it you have to crank it and visa versa. It's a good pickup and nothing like an EMG 81. I ended up settling on my favorite pickup.........Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion.

I think the L500XL is a cross between the Duncan JB and the Duncan Distortion. At least that's how it sounds to me.

Not a bad pickup, but you got to factor in Dime's Randall Warhead and Marshall JCM900's as well as his Eventide FX processors. When you add his unbelievable talent and his finger tips............well...........you know the rest.

Comment

Thanks! I gotta say the folks on this website are WORLDS more knowledgable than on other guitar message boards.

Comment

I tried a couple of those Bill Lawrence XL-500's and I was not too impressed. Maybe I was expecting them to be hotter, but the EMG 85 I use in the bridge now just buries the Lawrence in terms of tone, harmonics and gain.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK:
              Darrel uses the Dimebucker and the 59 in the neck. He wanted to use pups from the same manufacturer so he asked Seymour do a virtually identical copy to his Bill Lawrance 500XL.
              So thats what's in his guitars now.
              however he may not have changed out all his guitars to the dimebucker. So if you see one with a cream pup in the bridge its the lawrance and the black is the duncan.
              Gil
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think he switched companies because he just wanted his pickups to match. As usual money is involved and SD has the funds to finance endorsements, Bill Lawrence probably can't. I mean, that guy is like 70 years old and is still winding the pups himself.

Comment

Did he have the L-500XL in the neck as well?

What would that sound like, it is too much for the neck position?

s

Comment

I swear I saw a old video of Pantera (Russian Rock Fest or something) and Dime was playing a Jackson (ML Shaped body, neck thru, Reverse pointy headstock, White with splattered paint job on it, Floyd Rose) Can anybody confirm this???????? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I just ordered a Dimebucker for my Les Paul. What should I expect in terms of sound quality, gain and other factors?

Comment

Originally posted by It's All In My H3ad:
                      I just ordered a Dimebucker for my Les Paul. What should I expect in terms of sound quality, gain and other factors?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">wouldnt you want that answered BEFORE you bought the pup? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

The Washburn site says that a 59 is in the neck position but my cousins came with a JB in the neck and a XL500 in the bridge. The guitar is 3 or 4 years old.

Comment

Working...
                        X