Jake-E-Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake-E-Lee

Flame suit on "What about Malmsteen" when were talking about grounbreaking guitar player's [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea,I know I can't spell [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have been saying for the better part of my life that Jake E. Lee is one of the most underrated guitarists of the 80's. When I started playing the whole Randy tribute thing just hit the market and the guys my age were just starting to appreciate the guy their older brothers loved, but I always thought there was something about Jake E. Lee that was overlooked. I took alot of crap for saying that and I stopped after a while. However, it appears now that I was never alone and that he is appreciated by many people. I am glad to see that as he truely deserves the recognition.

Comment

I guess it's time for my semi-monthly post. I think Randy and Jake are both awesome. Jake had some huge shoes to fill and he did an amazing job. The Bark at the Moon Tour was my first concert, I never saw Randy. Jake was incedible on that tour and The Ultimate Sin. I love the Ozzy video from that tour. Jake does a great job at Randy's song's.

The one thing that I always had a hard time with is that The Ultimate Sin always seem like Jake was copying Randy. Where as Bark at the Moon doesn't seem like it. I don't know much about the writing process and whether or not that was forced upon Jake or not. I thought he really came into his own Badlands however.

If I had to choose I would say that Randy has the edge. But not by much.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I think it is OK to like them both [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also, Jake said something to the effect that
            the work he did with Ozzy was only a small
            aspect of his overall style and what he wanted to play.

Has anyone heard "A Fine Pink Mist"? I think Jake has great chops, but combine what he did with Badlands and his solo stuff, and you could conclude that he had other plans versus what he was doing at the time with Ozzy.

Comment

Hendrix was definitely ground breaking and I think he only just tipped the iceberg of what he was capable of. He set the stage for everyone who followed. He had power, feel, emotion and a great stage presence.

One cannot compare Randy with Hendrix. They are from two different eras. Hendrix to me is what I consider "old school" and great in his own thing, primarily blues (some jazz) based pentatonic where Randy brought in the classical influences, scales, modes and structure to songwriting.

I agree with Chuck on Hendrix...I'm 39 and love his playing but I'm not influenced by him as much as I was influenced by Randy. There really hasn't been much change or groundbreaking guitarist since Hendrix, Van Halen, Rhoads and Malmsteen. Sure there have been some great players inbetween and since but nothing to me that makes me want to play that way.

I think people put too much emphasis on technical proficiency and in doing so lose some feel and emotion along the way. IMHO how hard something is to play is irrelevant...if you can't cop a feel you may as well hang it...whether you play in a Hendrix kind of way or an Yngwie way.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hendrix is the top dog as far as my favorite guitar players go. The sad thing with Jimi was he was actually getting better (meaning less sloppy, more calculating) before he died.

Comment

Randy was the Man !! Ask Van Halen, he'll tell ya ! Yeah, Hendrix was great and way ahead of his time but you can't compare him with Randy. Jake is a fine guitarist but pretty standard stuff, IMHO but Randy had class, style a technical chops that made you wanna crank the shit up ! Over the Mountain ! Diary ! Flying High Again ! C'mon !!!
                  I miss you Man !

-Randy Fan Forever- [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by heartfielder:
                    Randy was the Man !! Ask Van Halen, he'll tell ya ! Yeah, Hendrix was great and way ahead of his time but you can't compare him with Randy. Jake is a fine guitarist but pretty standard stuff, IMHO but Randy had class, style a technical chops that made you wanna crank the shit up ! Over the Mountain ! Diary ! Flying High Again ! C'mon !!!
                    I miss you Man !

-Randy Fan Forever- [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought someone actually cited a quote from EVH saying that Randy ripped him off. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I personally think that Randy and Jake were on par with each other. Both added their own personal styles to Ozzy's music and left their marks in Ozzy's history.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

When I first heard Randy, it made me feel like I'd never felt before, guitar wise. Eddie, was great...no doubt....Randy was of another planet. Such emotion, melody, beauty in his playing. He felt every note. Listen to Goodbye to Romance....the solo is literally the sound of a guitar CRYING! He absolutely gave his guitar a soul for those few measures.
                      Jake is certainly on par with Randy. I loved him then and his playing still gives me chills. It's all preferences and opinions guys. They were and are both great. It comes down to which one spoke to you at the deepest reaches of yourself. It isn't a matter of who was or is better. They both are what many, if not all of us, want(ed)to play like. Randy, we miss you.

Comment

Jake hands down had the best stage personality out of anybody I've ever seen. Man can he move, and still hit every note. Hendrix was getting better and better with every record. He was a recording nut. He would spend all of his time in the studio, tweaking his craft. He was so sloppy because of the drugs. You could tell when he wasn't high as opposed to when he was. Foxy Lady was very clean. Yngwie was incredible when he broke free of Alcatraz(?) He was so egotistical that when he heard Steve Via's playing after Steve replaced him, he laughted @ him. At least Steve has improved since that time. To me, Randy had way more class than Eddie ever had. I think Eddie finally reached the level of great emotional guitar playing on the 1984 album. Man does that album rock. Sure there was eruption, and cathedral, and fair warning. These are all great guitar driven songs. But they were raw, not classie pieces. All of these guys were great for what they did. And they are all very different. The only time I think Randy ripped Eddie off was in a few little parts of his solo. Which Randy had admitted to himself. We'll, thats my .02.
                        1990 Jackson Professional
                        1992 Dean ML
                        2004 Epiphone Flying V
                        2005 Epiphone Dot
                        2009 Fender Stratocaster
                        2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                        2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                        2006 Fender P Bass
                        2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                        1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                        1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                        Custom Pedalboard
                        ADA MP1
                        ADA FX2
                        Tascam 2488

Comment

I saw Badlands years ago when they first started touring. They opened up for Great White and Tesla, I believe. I had never heard of them back then. After their short set I just wanted to go home.. I had got my money's worth just from that half hour. I spent the next few days hunting down that first release. It still is a frequent resident in my CD player today...

Comment

Doc do you mean that you wanted to go home because they were bad or good, and if they were good how was Jake's performance ??

Comment

I just wanna say that I Love both Randy and Jake!

But I think that Jake has the better chops. Hes got the fast picking stuff nailed! But he does not have the same melody and flow that Randy has.
                              Thats my opinion for what its worth [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Paris,

They absolutely smoked. After that set, I knew neither of the headliners would top what I just saw and heard. It was probably in '87 or '88 when I saw this show so I can't really give any details on Jake's performance. It really left an impression on me though...

Comment

Working...
                                X