Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from the Iced Earth camp

quote blabbermouth.net

ICED EARTH guitarist/mainman Jon Schaffer has posted the following message on the band's official web site:

"Again I have to apologize for the delay in updates. I've been extremely busy with writing and preproduction for the new ICED EARTH CDs.

"I also lost the one person that was my true mentor and inspiration throughout my life, which was very difficult. My father, Tom Schaffer, died unexpectedly of a massive stroke in October. He was 67, and died two weeks before his 68th birthday. It's hard to imagine what my life would have been like without my Dad's influence. I would not be who I am today, that's for sure. Fortunately, he was able to travel with the band a few times, and he really enjoyed meeting and talking with the fans. He was there for the 'Alive in Athens' recording and was dubbed Papa Earth by some of the fans in Greece. I will miss him very much.

"Obviously, this had a huge impact on me and brought the writing to a halt for about a month.

"I'm back on track and we are going to start recording on February 1st. We will be releasing a single/EP in June '07 that will feature the 'Something Wicked' trilogy re-recorded and a track that will be an alternate edit of a song that will be on 'Something Wicked Part 2' that now has a working title of 'Come What May'. The label was wanting me to do something with the original trilogy to reintroduce the story. So, what we have in store for you is very cool. You will hear 'Prophecy', 'Birth of the Wicked', and 'The Coming Curse' in a new way that will be a very killer way to kick off this massive epic.

"I don't want to give you any details to spoil the surprise, but trust me, it's going to be awesome.

"'Something Wicked (Part 1)' will be released in the September/October '07 time frame and Part 2 will follow in January/February '08.

"This is by far the most epic task I've ever taken on as a songwriter and I really feel like it will be worth all the sacrifice when it's finished. I've been working nonstop for over a year now and it's coming together in a very special way. I've just about finished all the musical arrangements and am now focusing on writing the lyrics/vocal melodies. I'm in the final stretch now...

"Tim Mills has contributed a few really cool pieces of music and has shown a real interest in the whole 'Something Wicked' story, and a real passion for being involved with the band. All this while owning and operating his own company (Bare Knuckle Pickups). I'm impressed, it's a rare quality, believe me.

"Also, the bass player on the next record is a local boy from Indianapolis whose name is James 'Bo' Wallace. Bo is a killer player and a great personality. I went to see him perform several months ago and was impressed with his abilities, energy and passion. He played with MA KELLEY for many years and released several records on a few different independent labels. Without a doubt, Bo is a great bass player and I'm happy to have him working with ICED EARTH.

"Here's a list of working titles for the upcoming epic. There will likely be changes but this gives you an idea of where things are going."

"Something Wicked - Part 1"

01. Overture
    02. Something Wicked (Part 1)
    03. Invasion
    04. Man's Motivation
    05. The Setian Massacre
    06. Ghost Dance Ritual
    07. Reflections
    08. Ten Thousand Strong
    09. Execution
    10. Order of the Rose
    11. The Clouding
    12. Infiltrate and Assimilate
    13. Retribution From the Shadows
    14. Something Wicked (Part 2)
    15. The Domino Decree
    16. The Division of Religion (Man Needs God)
    17. Novo Ordo Seclorum (Cycle Of A New Age)

"Something Wicked - Part 2"

01. The Sacred Flames
    02. Behold the Wicked Child
    03. Minions of the Watch
    04. A Gift Or A Curse?
    05. I Walk Among You
    06. My Burden, My Honor
    07. Ancient Rage of the High Priest
    08. A Gathering Threat
    09. Time Marches On
    10. Sacrificial Kingdoms
    11. Something Wicked (Part 3)
    12. Divide Devour
    13. Conspiracy / A Charge to Keep
    14. Come What May (Mankind Is Lost)

let me start with saying that i'm probably the most devoted fan when it comes to barlow era iced earth. schaffers songwriting just matched up perfectly with barlows soulful and intense voice, truly my nr.1 heavy singer.
    however, i was really let down by the glorious burden....i don't think ripper fits into iced earth particulary well. the songwriting and production was also sub par if you ask me.

so, for me this is like schaffers last chance to prove that he and ripper can successfully continue the legacy of the barlow era. tackling the something wicked epos - and turning it into a full blown 2 cd storyline - takes some major balls and songwriting skills. not only is it really difficult to come up with not one but TWO full length albums worth of KILLER songs, but also should it relate to the original SWTWC theme and writing in one way or the other.
    another thought....i'm kinda nervous as far as the re-recording of the original epos is concerned. imho, if he fucks it up, he won't sell half as many of the something wicked CD's he could have....my guess is that many old IE fans are going to buy at least the CD1, but as i said, if they listen to the re-recorded single and it's sub par many of them won't bother with the album.

so, i REALLY hope schaffer is going to surprise us IE fans with some kickass material to blow our heads off. i really do.

any thoughts/comments?

Well i am not exactly as devoted as you are but i always thought that Iced Earth did some awesome tunes with Barlow. And yeah i also don't like the glorious burden so much. Ripper is a very good singer, i don't think anyone can argue with that but i agree that he doesn't fit with Iced Earth.
    We'll see what will happen. I am not nervous as you are. Iced Earth isn't really one of my favourite bands but i would like to see them grow strong as they were. Would be pretty cool.
    If not well there still is Night of the Stormrider which is and probably will always remain my absolute favourite Iced Earth album. When i like to listen to Iced Earth it's always this record.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Glorious Burden was such a huge let down combined with the fact that when I saw them play live with Ripper he wrecked pretty much every old song that I enjoyed. I refuse to get even somewhat excited for this new album but I am curious though. I will download it and listen to the record and go from there.

Comment

Ripper is a very good singer, and great dude..

I'll be recording with Tim's Beyond Fear drummer very soon..Beyond Fear guitarist John Comprix is starting to hound me about it..so I should move fast. I'm going to do my first "cover" song ..my version of "Rapid Fire"..I think it would be cool to have Ripper do some guest vox on that one..

Much like Judas Preist.. Ripper did an amazing job and held down the fort. But Rob is 50% Judas Priest..as Matt was 50% Iced Earth...

My singer TY is 50% of my project and we fit together like a glove..much more so than a great singer like Tim..

Ripper's guitarist John wants use Ty for more of a aggressive side project..which is cool..I think bands should help each other..especially good ones..

In all honesty I think Ty would do better in Iced Earth IMO..he can hit all the high stuff when needed, and is much more "soulful" and agressive than Tim..much like Barlow.

Cool to see IE doing something..I love the band..always have..but I do miss Matt in that camp.

I would take bass duties in a heart beat in either camp if they ever needed one..I know I would do a killer job!!

Bill Z Bub
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

that's some stuff that i'm looking forward to for a long time now
          You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Ripper and Iced Earth was the best match up I've heard in ages!! More importantly, where's Richard Christy???? I now hate Stern for stealing him from us!! He needs to come back, even it's not with Iced Earth!!
            I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover View Post
              Ripper and Iced Earth was the best match up I've heard in ages!! More importantly, where's Richard Christy???? I now hate Stern for stealing him from us!! He needs to come back, even it's not with Iced Earth!!

I know Tim pretty well ..he was a big fan of my VH trib years ago..I'll be seeing him soon shortly in his studio..my singer and Tim go waaaaaay back..when they were kids.

I should tell the guys to stop by and say hey..

Richard Christy rules!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                I know Tim pretty well ..he was a big fan of my VH trib years ago..I'll be seeing him soon shortly in his studio..my singer and Tim go waaaaaay back..when they were kids.

I should tell the guys to stop by and say hey..

Richard Christy rules!!
                Tell the Ripper he has big fans in New Mexico!!

Fuck Ya Richard Christy rules!!!!
                I love admins!

Comment

I like Glorious Burden. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the other albums.

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover View Post
                    Tell the Ripper he has big fans in New Mexico!!

Fuck Ya Richard Christy rules!!!!
                    I know he was just in Mexico a few weeks ago..not sure where tho..

OK, I'll convey the message!!

My fave IE is my introduction to them..Something wicked this way comes and The Dark Saga..

Schaffer plays a Uberschall ya know..sounds great..just like an Uberschall!!

John of Beyond Fear loves my Uber..he played a Framus and Deizel while on tour and he's getting a Bogner endoresment..lucky bastid..he's going to score me a Uberkab ..I hope.

He's currently endorsed by Engl..

Comment

Exciting news.

I dont know where I stant with Ripper. Yes he is awesome, but damn, Barlowe was just more raw. I think Ripper is too dramatic in a lot of his passages, and I want to hear the raw powerful sound of barlow's voice. The last CD wasnt bad, I enjoyed the song "when the Eagle cries."

But still, does anything kick as much as the song "Dracula"? Barlow at his finest!

Comment

I sort of guitar teched for IE in 2001. I was in All That Remains at the time and my friend who works as a tour manager hooked me up with a tech gig.We left Jon's house on 9/11/01 so you can imagine the tour was later canceled and we headed home a week later. Stange days......
                        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                          I sort of guitar teched for IE in 2001. I was in All That Remains at the time and my friend who works as a tour manager hooked me up with a tech gig.We left Jon's house on 9/11/01 so you can imagine the tour was later canceled and we headed home a week later. Stange days......
                          You played on Behind Silence and Solitude? If so, that's awesome... I always thought that it is the best All That Remains record. From These Wounds is a "classic" song as far as the more modern American metal bands go.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                            You were in All That Remains?!?!?! WTF! Wow, is Phil a cool guy? Was Oli in the band at the time?
                            DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Thanks guys, I played most of the solos on BSAS and wrote about half the material. Oli and I did all the harmony stuff together. I was in ATR for over 3 years. Phil and I played the guitar for the first demo and Oli came in a little later. I knew Oli in the 90's when we were in different bands. Like many members since me, I didn't get along too well with Phil. I have never been paid a cent from that record, I heard the band sold the first record back to the label to finance the second record, I never got a dime. I don't want to get into it too much, I'll let God judge this one.
                              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                              X