Stryper-What Amps Did They Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stryper-What Amps Did They Use?

Michael Sweet lives around here and he came in the shop about 2 years ago. At that time we had a used Mesa MKIIC+ head on the floor. He saw it and told me that it was the same amp he used to record and tour with. He plugged in and ripped a couple of riffs. Seemed like a pretty nice guy... I think Stryper is back together now, is he touring with them?

Matt
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Re: Stryper-What Amps Did They Use?

I think Stryper is back together now, is he touring with them?

Matt
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Check this out...http://www.stryper.com/

Saw them in Austin, best show I've ever seen.

Comment

boy am i going to bring this thread back from the dead.

Anyway, on youtube they have video's from there 2005 tour in philly, you can tell they were using dual rec's and they still sounded great. The audio is very bassy on youtube, but the tone is to die for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMPG...related&search=

They dont show the Rec's there, but you can see the 2x12 cabs that are mic'ed on stage and here is a picture from there website from 2004 (scrool through the pictures), so i am assuming they are still using rec's and the tone sounds like it.

Comment

Tone to die for? Ummm.. ok...

I mean, I like Stryper somewhat and still can't "quite" appreciate it... Not like it's my MESA bias either as I've heard others sound awesome with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post

I mean, I like Stryper somewhat and still can't "quite" appreciate it... Not like it's my MESA bias either as I've heard others sound awesome with them.
            Yeah, that sounds pretty much like anybody playing too loud in a small space.
            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Stryper's tone died for your sins. :ROTF:
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ok let me rephrase that, for the style of music they are playing they sound damn good there. I would rather here it with a better recording though.

Plus everyone has different idea of a great tone, I love there tone there, however you may not. Example both Horns and I owned a uber, but we dialed them in completly different, which just reflects different styles.

Comment

They have a great sense of harmonizing..they are great players and their tone is very good for that time.

It's all what you do with what you have..How many players play a Strat or LP into a Marshall..yet they all have their own voice/style..same gear..completely different sound.

I had a Mesa Mrk III around '91 and it really sounded like "Corridoors of Power" Gary Moore..It didn't sound nothing like Lamb Of God..well I wasn't playing that style at the time..but who was?

see..

I still use my Marshall that I bought when all I listened to was VH/Savatage/Dokken and ect..I still use it today, but in a much different context..I do black/death/thrash metal these days.

I was just playing it, trying some new ideas while jamming with my son..sounded great!

Well, it didn't sound like VH/Savatage and Dokken..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I saw them last Fall. Oz and Michael were using Dual Rectifiers! Awesome tone. Even live!
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Finally more talk of Stryper

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

Definitely the post of the day! Hahahaha.... :ROTF:

Had me actually laughing dude... Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                            Ok let me rephrase that, for the style of music they are playing they sound damn good there.
                            Umm... No...

(actually, I saw them live in their heyday and they sounded great)

Plus everyone has different idea of a great tone
                            That's becoming painfully obvious...

Example both Horns and I owned a uber, but we dialed them in completly different, which just reflects different styles.
                            Umm, Yeah.... Now I don't trust either of you, hahaha...

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                              I saw them last Fall. Oz and Michael were using Dual Rectifiers! Awesome tone. Even live!
                              You sure those were Dual rectoms? lol hey have an endorsement with Peavey
                              and when here in chitown they used the peaveys and flipped the stipper mudflap face plate around to the blank side. Altho bands have been known to use other things livethen what they endorse but The XXX sound like a dual recto when dialed in right. Im just kinda curious as too what they may be doing from show to show. If its consistant or just grabing stuff at a local shop to get the gig done?
                              Gil

Comment

I'd agree that the XXX is Peaveys answer to the Recto. I said that the first day I played one when they came out.

Really, it's not like Strypers tone was anything too amazing. A good sound. But, obviously the result of a bit more than just plugging straight into a recto don't you think? And obviously a result of some drastic EQ as well.

Again, I enjoyed the sound when it came out. And still sorta do. But, a lot of ground has been covered since then.
                                Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X