The PROBOT Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PROBOT Project

OK, I am by no means a Dave Grohl fan, although the Foo Fighters had maybe one or two decent tunes, but...

I have read a few reviews just totally praising this new PROBOT project of Grohls', but I am still hesitant to pick it up. Does anyone have it, and is it really that good? The main reason I want to get it is to hear all the kickass, godly singers on it, but I just don't wanna waste the crump on it if the music is Foo Fighter-ish.... anyone?

Thanks!

Re: The PROBOT Project

The new song with Lemmy on vocals is pretty cool. But, i heard Max Cavalera on one of the new songs and it does sound pretty heavy. I thought it was an old Sepultura song before some one pointed out it was Probot.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I just checked out the Probot site, no clips on there yet. The album's supposed to be out Feb 10. It is feature album on Triple J (Oz radio) this week (from 6 Feb) so I guess I'll get to hear most of it during the week.

I have heard bits of the Lemmy song & the Max song & liked them both. Not Foo-ish at all.

Just found this too:

Check out Probot LIVE on HEADBANGERS BALL Sat 02/07 @ 10:00 PM!!
      Probot will perform "My Tortured Soul"

Probot live is made up of: Greg Anderson: Rhythm guitar
      Dave Grohl: Drums
      Nick Raskulinecz: Bass
      Eric Wagner: Vocals
      Wino: Lead Guitar

The show is a Probot themed episode - videos from many of the Probot disciple's bands will be featured: Motorhead, Obsessed, Voivod, Mercyful Fate, Trouble, Sepultura, COC etc..) This will be the world premiere of the PROBOT video Shake Your Blood.(w/ Lemmy, Wino, and Dave)

DON'T FUCKING MISS IT!
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I saw the PROBOT video with Lemmy last week on Headbangers Ball. I think it was the 2nd video they played that night

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the feedback, bros. Yeah, Gil, I saw that they were gonna be on HBB this week... i gotta watch it now, except I gotta have a mag or somethin' to do while they play all those fuckin' ebonic bullshit vids. Ugh....

I mainly wanna hear the song that DIO sang on and Eric Wagner's (Trouble) as well. They rule!!

Metal up thy ass!!!

Comment

Check out http://www.southernlord.com for a few more song clips. Southern Lord is a small stoner/doom/drone oriented label that's releasing the Probot album. Greg Anderson (SL founder) and Dave Grohl have known each other for many years apparently so when Grohl wanted to do a metal album, he asked Anderson if he wanted to release it.

I've heard a few of the tracks and they fucking kill. Lee Dorrian's track sounds like a really good Cathedral song. Pick it up.

Comment

I heard the Lemmy song and thought it was very cool. I think I heard the Max song too and just thought it was Soulfly or something.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I haven't heard enough to make a opinion ...but the Lemmy song was ...OK I guess...that's all.

I'm not writing home yet...
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Mike Dean is on it. I have to at least check it out and support my COC homeboy.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                    Check out Probot LIVE on HEADBANGERS BALL Sat 02/07 @ 10:00 PM!!
                    Probot will perform "My Tortured Soul"

Probot live is made up of: Greg Anderson: Rhythm guitar
                    Dave Grohl: Drums
                    Nick Raskulinecz: Bass
                    Eric Wagner: Vocals
                    Wino: Lead Guitar

The show is a Probot themed episode - videos from many of the Probot disciple's bands will be featured: Motorhead, Obsessed, Voivod, Mercyful Fate, Trouble, Sepultura, COC
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Trouble, COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I saw Trouble around '89 or '90 when they opened for Overkill at a local show here. They were pretty cool!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Trouble did a show here in Stockholm in december -03 together with Candlemass and that new band with Michael Denner and Hank Sherman.
                        The old MF boys didn't impress me much but Troble RULED!
                        I've wanted to see them bad ever since I heard their first album back in -84.

Gotta check this Probot thing out since I'm allso a huge fan of Saint Vitus.
                        Thanks for the info my good friends.

Trouble is the best!

JT

Comment

heard the lemmy song the other day. it wasn't bad, but definitely nothing special...

Comment

The Cronos track is pretty cool. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's my review

I've listened to it about 5-6 times over the past couple of weeks.
                              Dave Grohl understands this stuff. I love the fact that the production on each track is different from the next. A majority of the songs were obviously written for the lead singer that he was able to get (notable exception, the tom fischer track - that don't sound much like Celtic Frost!).

This is sort of a tribute record to his influences, but with original tracks and he totally pulled it off.

- centuries of sin (w/ cronos)
                              this track is a complete gas. delightfully low budget gregorian chant casio patch intro. Main riff is pure Venom . Huge and dumb, including the guitar tone. During the obligatory metal "guitar riff with punches" bits Cronos hits this lone overdriven bass note w/o a drum punch that cracks me up. Lyrics contain some Venom-like gems, my favourite being "the undestroyable". I wish his drumming was more sloppy and lo-fi like early Venom! As it is, it sounds like Venom with a competent drummer haha

- Red War (w/ Cavalera) - Very authentic sounding Chaos AD era sepultura. Picture the Territory intro with the Refuse/Resist lead fill. A good track.

- Shake Your Blood (w/ Lemmy) - Could there be a more Motorhead sounding title than "Shake your Blood"? Ever counted how many Motorhead song titles contain the words 'shake' or 'blood'? Everything about song is pure 90's-current Motorhead. Love the nod to "Chase Is Better Than The Catch" bass fill / mini-solo. Love this one.

- Access Babylon (w/ Mike Dean) - Never was a hardcore fan, and I never liked COC pre-Deliverance.
                              - Silent Spring (w/ Kurt Brecht) - same as above.

- Ice Cold Man (w/ Lee Dorrian) - What a killer Cathedral song. Great late-80's/early 90's British doom riffage and tone. Very inspired vocals I thought.

- Emerald Law (w/ Wino) - Great song, one of my favourites. Another inspired effort vocally.

- Big Sky (/w Tom Fischer) - Great rhythm. Not crazy about the vocals. This one gets a bit repetitive.

- Dictatosaurus (w/ Snake) - What a fucking intro. Probably the catchiest chorus out of the bunch. Totally radio-friendly. Reminds me of Voivod's Angel Rat record, when they tried to go commercial.

- Tortured Soul (w/ Eric Wagner) - I love Trouble. I absolutely love the guitar sound (it clips!) and compressed drums. Wagner came up with some very inspired vocals. This track is worthy of Trouble. I peed my pants the first time I heard it.

- Sweet Dreams (w/ King Diamond) - Classic KD layered vox and screams. Grohl must have gotten some massive goosebumps after receiving KD's tape. I believe the leads are provided by Kim Thayil, great stuff. I creamed my pants the first time I heard it.

To conclude, if you didn't like the singers' bands you probably won't dig this. To me half the fun is to spot how good Dave's 'impressions' of these bands are. Kinda like Will Ferrell's impression of James Lipton is funnier if you've ever watched Inside the Actors' Studio.

After listening to the latest records of Tenacious D, QOTSA, Killing Joke and now Probot, I find it hard to believe that this is the same guy who put out some of the most cheesy rock ballads in recent memory. Shit, rumour has it he might guest on the next Trouble record

[ February 15, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Jerry From Ghana ]

Comment

Working...
                              X