Mastodon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastodon

It seems to me there is a bunch of newish metal bands who all of a sudden are so highly touted by everyone and on the cover of every guitar magazine, Dragonforce, Trivium, Mastodon...

I've bought their last cd, I borrowed Leviathan and I've really tried to listen critically and like them, but I just can't!

Seems to me what's missing are the fundamentals of a great HR/HM song, i.e. great, memorable songwriting and a kick ass singer.

Mastodon, Trivium etc can't sing at all! I don't care about the guitar playing, decent guitarists are a dime (RIP and respect to a true music god) a dozen, what makes a band is the singer!

Ami I just clutching at the past, am I not getting something in Mastodon's music?

don't care about them but the drummer is pretty good, I think he is the best from all these recently popular new-metal bands, I like how he is using some old Genesis rhythms.
    Last edited by Endrik; 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I think they're great. Times are changin!

Comment

I love Leviathan. I think it's cool cool how most of the songs on it were inspired by Moby Dick rather than the usual BS a lot heavy music is about nowadays, and I think the vocal style fits perfectly. I also agree w/ Endrik about their drummer, Brann Dailor. He kicks major ass, & how can you not dig this drum kit:

Comment

Saw Mastodon at Loud Park 06, their sound was horrible. Just freakin noise.
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I saw them two times. They seemed really into it, the sound was ok.. but the music does nothing for me.
            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I dig them. The singer completes their heavy aquatic sound.

The riffs are different, the lyrics are different, the singer is different. Haven't gotten a chance to listen to their new one "Blood Mountain" but Leviathan is very refreshing to me. None of that horrid screamo singing (see Trivium) and no boring generic thrash riffs (see Lamb of God, Shadows Fall). The drumming is cool too...lots of snare use.
              Scott

Comment

mastodon is fuckin amazing

Comment

Saw them open for COB, Lamb of God, and Slayer...

Merely towelboys... hehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    Saw them open for COB, Lamb of God, and Slayer...

Merely towelboys... hehehe...
                    MY 69TH POST! WOOT!

Although I think Bodom is a better band (at least their first 3 albums...), I think Mastodon put on a better show in East Rutherford, NJ... and they were 1000x better than Tom Araya's brother's band (that's probably the most they'll be known for unless they do something reallllly cool)... I personally think Lamb of God stole the show from Slayer , and at the time, I liked Slayer just as much as LoG... now I like LoG just a teeeeny bit more than Slayer.
                    Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM.
                    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                    Dimebag Darrell
                    Chuck Schuldiner
                    Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
                      I think they're great. Times are changin!
                      Exactly! That's what makes them Mastodon I'm bored of new bands trying to make music as good as 80's Heavy Metal bands. They just can't... So I need something new and bands like Mastodon give it to me...

As for the vocals, I think they're simply amazing, listen to "The Mortal Soil" from their last record. I know the vocals sound a bit strange but it fits the music incredibly and is "modern"
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

listen to their song "march of the fire ants" ! that'll getcha goin'

I have their latest effort...sounds kinda weird...but hey at least it's original, so that's cool with me

Comment

Well, I hope Mastadon is decent, becasause they are opening for Slayer on their new tour I am going for Slayer, but it is always a bonus if the opening acts are at least good. Jack.

Comment

I'll admit they sound different, I like that. I listen to them every now and then. I respect what they are doing, shit atleasts they dont sound everyone else right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X