OMG - A Guitar Solo on MTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG - A Guitar Solo on MTV

Anybody seen this band out of England called the Darkness? The Darkness are a throwback band like a combination of ACDC, Queen and Led Zeppelin. They have a video on MTV and VH-1 for a song called "I Believe in a Thing Called Love".

When you first see the video you'll think it's an old video from the early 80's from some semi-glam band who raided Steven Tylers closet. The video is cheesy as hell but after hearing the song a couple of times, you gotta admit it's pretty good. There are actually 2 pretty decent guitar solos in the song and a wall of 100 Marshall 4/12 cabinets.

After doing a little internet research I found that this band has become huge in England is just now breaking out in the USA. I've been downloading songs from their CD "Permission to Land" and I gotta admit it's pretty damn entertaining. Sure, it's not old Metallica or thrash by any means but it's pretty damn entertaining to hear some good straight forward guitar rock n' roll ballads with rockin' guitar solos.

If you've seen the video, laugh all you want but before dismissing them, go listen to the CD.

Re: OMG - A Guitar Solo on MTV

Perhaps this is what rock guitar needs.....after watching guitar oriented rock since the mid-80's seriously....it seems to have a pattern....it evolves, morphs, and changes but always seems to go back to the beginning.

I think people are getting bored with what is on the radio and the younger kids are hearing all the older stuff (well, to them Van Halen is old) and like it.

Maybe this is a foreshadow of what will be....perhaps.

Thanks for the post Greg [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

They've been pretty big over here in Europe for a while, gotta say I fuckin hate the falsetto vocals though.
      Not my style at all...go buy Machine Head's latest instead! It rules. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

The ironi is that without the falsetto vocals they would've never even been noticed.
        That's how screwed up the rock/metal scene is today.

Comment

I have said it before on here, you will not find a more entertaining act to see live. They are brilliant and very funny. They are very talented musicians at what they do as well.

Look here is justin and my thumb when he went through the crowd at a gig last year. The guitarists have some very nice Les Paul Customs as well.

Comment

Although there have been a few threads on The Darkness in the Non J/C Related sub-forum, either people hate them or love them. I TOTALLY don't mind the falsetto vocals.

The thing with this band is NOT to take them seriously. They're just having fun and entertaining thousands of people doing just that. Now THAT is rock n' roll. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

This is Black Mariah's favorite band. hmmmmmm

NEVERMORE RULES! they're making a video right now for I, Voyager. oh god, Nevermore rules so much. They're goign to tour the US this summer, I'm pretty sure. Actually i'm just guessing. But, Nevermore is definately worth talking about in a The Darkness thread.

I think so at least. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, Nevermore rules. Machinehead's latest isn't available here until April. I hear it's great - and you can thank former Vio-lence guitarist Phil Demmel for the increase in heaviness. He also plays Jacksons ! The Darkness is good for what they do. Their new song " Growing on Me " is as good or better than the first single.

Comment

Since I've been stuck here in Nowheresville, Colorado for the last couple of weeks, I've been watching alot of TV. I caught their video on MTV and was shocked to hear guitar solos from a "new" band. Actually, my reaction was "whoa"! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They seem pretty cool, except for the vocals. That guy it totally coping Freddy Mercury!

I think I'll have to pick up their CD. I need something new in my CD collection since 90% was released before 1990. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP has a great point about folks taking this shit too seriously. There have been a number of The Darkness threads of late and it amuses me no end to see posts complaining about what they are doing to the good name of heavy metal. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Don't take it all so seriously. They're just a bunch of guys having a good time playing old school hard rock. It's just some dumb fun. Enjoy it or get over it.

boohoo, every other song is about love. So? So were most Van Halen songs. It seems there is no pleasing some folks. It's either bitching about all the gnu-metal with no solos & simplistic riffs on D-tuned axes and guitarists that bob up-and-down on stage like apples in a barrel, or emo bands that sing about how they can't get a girlfriend.

And when a band comes along playing the old party rock that so many of the JCF Brethren seem to hold in such high regard ala VH, Ratt, et al, PLSU playing solos in their songs, folks ***** about the occasional falsetto vox. The same people that praise a guy like King Diamond for his range. So do we like high vocals or don't we?
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                      I believe in God. With my whole heart. I believe that God is a woman. Because only a woman would try to protect a pair of testicles with a thin layer of skin. If God were a man, we'd have another rib cage
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Soooooooo damn true. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell:
                        I think I'll have to pick up their CD. I need something new in my CD collection since 90% was released before 1990. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Only 90%? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

You actually found 10% since then worth listening to?

Comment

...I thought it was a spinal tap type of band when I saw em on the mtv europe awards ? the guys high out of tune vocals are just total crap , but their vid is good to watch for a laugh lol //Steve

Comment

I'm going to have to catch this so I can see what all the fuss is about [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Nevermore > The Darkness

Comment

Working...
                              X