The roots of shred-style playing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The roots of shred-style playing.

Let's talk about the players that laid down the foundation of what we now know as "Shredding"

While I won't deny that Jimi Hendrix was a key figure in the devellopment of the thing, his style actually was based on long solos, no lightning fast runs or fingerbreaking riffs. Hendrix was self taught and it showed in his playing, he's the ultimate "Play-from-the-heart" guitarist and that's what made him so good.

But when it comes to playing those lightning fast runs and fingerbreaking riffs we have to look elsewhere.
    Steve Hackett for example on the second Genesis album "Nursery Cryme" for example. "The return of the Giant Hogweed" starts with a furious two hand tapping riff predating Van Halen's similar "Hot for teacher" by twelve years.

Go see and hear it here.

Another key figure in the devellopment of Shred was Dutch guitar master Jan Akkerman, who was among the very first to incorporate classical influence in his solos and he played them faster that anybody else in those days. His work on the album "Moving waves" earned him the title of Best guitarist on the planet as given by the readers of the New Musical express.

Just see for yourself in this awesome rendition of "Hocus Pocus"

Or in this wonderful rendition of "Eruption", now where did Eddie Van halen got that title from?
    Last edited by Blazer; 01-19-2007, 05:41 PM.

Good call on Akkerman. I don't know if he's the pioneer, but I always think of him when this subject comes up.

Comment

I'd think of Uli Roth on 'Tokyo Tapes', Holdsworth with UK and of course Dimiola.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Holdsworth with UK is one of my all-time favorite gigs. I met him and asked if he would ever get back together with those guys and he said "Those guys are assholes !!" (mood killer ...)

Comment

Too bad, awsome tunes!
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            Good call on Akkerman. I don't know if he's the pioneer, but I always think of him when this subject comes up.
            Me too. Great guitarist. It's a pity Focus hasn't been remembered as much as they deserve to be.

Comment

I've always felt that it all comes down to Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen. Between the two of them and the styles they pioneered........every shredder fits into their two categories somehow. I can't even describe it....how great both of them are/were ( I had to add "were" for Eddie...seen him on the last VH reunion and wanted to sue him for my money back)......and how every shredder,,,even Vai, in my opinion, fits within the Yngwie/Eddie categories. Sure, some have taken it farther and to the extremes (hmm. Paul Gilbert , Vai, etc come to mind.....total aliens also) It's like...if you morphed Eddie and Yngwie into one,,,,there just is nothing else imaginable. To me, they are the two greatest guitarists to ever be born on this planet.......(for the style we are talkin') I mean, even Randy Rhoads had a lot of Eddie influence in his playing way back then.

Comment

Focus was a very big influence on me. Their albums were full melodic riffs and powerful chords lots of keyboards.The videos don't capture the essence of the band.Get real stoned then crank the vol.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Rick Derringer was shredding EVH riffs 5 years before Van Halen was ever known.

The guitar player from Chicago was a shredder.
                  The guitar player from Bill Haley and the Comets shredded back in the 50's.
                  The supreme shredder is Uli Jon Roth. He has been shredding neo-classical style since 1972.

Comment

I always thought what Alvin Lee did at Woodstock to be a bit ahead of it's time. Defnitely caught my attention, at an early age. I'm a Jimi fan, and I actually enjoyed Alvin more than Jimi.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Alvin Lee was fast but not as clean as Uli.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

good call
                        that Alvin Lee clip was the first real shred I think I ever heard.

see it here
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        Last edited by kmanick; 01-19-2007, 10:15 PM.
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

What about 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago.
                          I heard that the solo in Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo was one of the first.
                          Don't forget I'd love to Change the world by Alvin Lee.

Rock around the clock was really old shredding.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                            I've always felt that it all comes down to Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen.
                            But I'm talking about BEFORE Malmsteen and Van Halen broke into the scene.

READ the message before you start to preach about them.

Comment

Dick Dale was the first one to play loud and fast. Ask him.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X