Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jon Donais (Shadows Fall) - a Korg AX30G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Donais (Shadows Fall) - a Korg AX30G?

According to my new guitar mag, that's all he uses to get his tone, running into a Marshall, which he just runs clean (he does use EMGs too, but so do I, and I still don't compare). [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Anyone else find this amazing? What's next? A Zoom 505-II straight into the board? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Jon Donais (Shadows Fall) - a Korg AX30G?

not really.. I just plug straight into my marshall too, sometimes I'll use a wah. His tone isn't anything special, its really raw and plain. Think I'll go listen to some Shadows Fall now, its been a while [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The part that amazes me is that, as I understand it, he is running the Marshall clean, really just using it as a power amp, and getting all of his tone from his multi-effects processor. No rack effects, no high end tube preamps. Just a lowly multi-effects processor. And a great sound!

Comment

Korg has offered some decent distortions over the years, so I'm sure it's quite possible to get a great sound from such a simple setup. I ran a Korg 104ds HyperDistortion into both a Peavey Special (solid state, clean channel) and Classic (tube, single-channel) and it sounded brutal through either amp. I'm surprised that Korg doesn't get more mention.
        sigpic

Comment

I think Matt's got a great tone too! He uses the Marshall Mode 4 with a Tube Screamer. They both are awesome, but I was also really shocked when I read about Jon Donias' setup.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
            he does use EMGs too, but so do I, and I still don't compare
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heh. It says he uses the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Though, the pic of him shows passive pickups, and I've never seen him in any pics with EMGs in his guitars. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Guess he's got them in his guitars now. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'm actually listening to their Art Of Balance album right now!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey Toejam check out the lesson page that they have in Guitar World...there are some close up shots of their hands, you can definitely see the EMGs in Jon's guitar!

Comment

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at seein his rig (or lack thereof!). It's weird cos he's using the JCM800 2203, but only has it on clean, and plugs into the front of the amp (not just the poweramp part) and uses the low sensitivity input.

So essentially he's using into 2 preamps?...The Korg as the 1st, then the Marshall?
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I used a Korg ax1000g with a peavey bandit for some years,I was pretty happy with that setup.Also if it was SS I could get some nice distortions...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                    Hey Toejam check out the lesson page that they have in Guitar World...there are some close up shots of their hands, you can definitely see the EMGs in Jon's guitar!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh cool! I hardly ever pay attention to those lesson pages. I just skim through them quick most of the time.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck seems to be getting pretty popular. Someone said that Zakk Wylde had told them to run "the hot one in the neck". I think he's doing the same thing.

Comment

I've seem them live before and they were both using Marshalls. Looked like JCM 800's. IMHO, it was one of the worse live tones I've ever heard from a band of that caliber. Very piercing and ice-picky. Almost solid state, they could really just be using pedals and processors.
                        Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

I would almost guarantee that's not what's on the albums. No big shock, most people don't use their live rigs to record with anymore, anyway.
                          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I just saw them on Sunday. They opened for Priest. Donais was playing a Washburn with passive pickups in it. They were standard black humbuckers. They are an extremely bottom heavy band. It is all about the drums and the bass. Sometimes I couldn't even hear the guitars although when I did they both sounded great. I didn't see a Korg AX on the floor but it could have been in front of one of the wedge monitors. I am a big fan of Korg processors to. I had a 411FX that I ran for years straight into a Randall head on the clean channel. The 411FX is basically a portion of the AX1000 or 1500G

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I just saw them on Sunday. They opened for Priest. Donais was playing a Washburn with passive pickups in it. They were standard black humbuckers. They are an extremely bottom heavy band. It is all about the drums and the bass. Sometimes I couldn't even hear the guitars although when I did they both sounded great. I didn't see a Korg AX on the floor but it could have been in front of one of the wedge monitors. I am a big fan of Korg processors to. I had a 411FX that I ran for years straight into a Randall head on the clean channel. The 411FX is basically a portion of the AX1000 or 1500G

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the guitars were difficult to hear and didn't cut through the mix very well. All highs. At least where I saw them at which is a good venue. Many bands play there and they have a good sound setup.

Their albums pound though. I'm awaiting the new one. There is a track on their site for the new album in case you haven't heard it yet.
                              Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

Working...
                              X