Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jon Donais (Shadows Fall) - a Korg AX30G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jon Donais (Shadows Fall) - a Korg AX30G?

I've been using my processor for all my tones for two years now, plugging it straight into the front end of my Marshall. I am surprised at the amount of versatility and tweakability you can get. I still have to try to sculpt an extremely brutal sound but I'm getting frickin' close. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Plus, I find my setup is pretty easy and very quick to plug in. No fancy pedalboards or stompboxes. Just my GT-6, combo amp, and guitar... and maybe my Morley wah if I need that sort of sound the GT-6's wah can't give me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      I just saw them on Sunday. They opened for Priest. Donais was playing a Washburn with passive pickups in it. They were standard black humbuckers. They are an extremely bottom heavy band. It is all about the drums and the bass. Sometimes I couldn't even hear the guitars although when I did they both sounded great. I didn't see a Korg AX on the floor but it could have been in front of one of the wedge monitors. I am a big fan of Korg processors to. I had a 411FX that I ran for years straight into a Randall head on the clean channel. The 411FX is basically a portion of the AX1000 or 1500G

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the guitars were difficult to hear and didn't cut through the mix very well. All highs. At least where I saw them at which is a good venue. Many bands play there and they have a good sound setup.

Their albums pound though. I'm awaiting the new one. There is a track on their site for the new album in case you haven't heard it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They played the new track on their upcoming album and it KILLED. It was the best song they did the entire set. I am certainly going to pick up their cd's.

Comment

I gave my Korg to a friend of mine who wanted to try a new pedal, but I do think that running a good distortion pedal in the clean channel of a tube amp can result in a great tone. That's what I've been doing for years, both with the Korg and an ART Xtreme. Old Peavey single-channel tube combos go for dirt cheap used, so pairing the right amp with the right pedal can make for a great bargain-basement rig. Last night, we played a show with myself and the other guitarist running distortion pedals into our Peaveys, and the tone was great. But there's also the whole "analog vs. digital" thing with distortion, and I find that analog pedals will sound far better with a tube power channel than digital.
        sigpic

Comment

This is not a new concept. Many of the great players ran a distortion pedal into the front end of Marshall amps. Quite frankly I do not think the JCM800 has alot of distortion, which is probably why most players in the mid-late '80s had their Marshalls modded to get more gain or ran a pedal or effects unit in front of it to get their distortion/overdrive.
          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

also you have to remember that all tube Marshalls also get there tone/distortion from driving the poweramp tubes. I would bet they ran those Marshalls loud.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              also you have to remember that all tube Marshalls also get there tone/distortion from driving the poweramp tubes. I would bet they ran those Marshalls loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how Marshall and other manufacturers push their "hybrid" amps as having tube preamps, when it's the power tubes that really make the difference. Ah, the wonders of modern marketing!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X