No announcement yet.

Horns pal John and a Krank - Ripper Owens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm tough to say, I never used it with the 6L6 tubes my Mesa had in it before. Switching to EL34s took out a lot of lows and then the boost pedal seems to take a bit more away from the lows, but the whole sound kind of moves up in the frequency range... it gets a lot more bite and has a more thumping midrange but it still has a lot of kick in the lows. The pedal was enough that I can play my amp with the gain just a bit past high noon now and still have a wicked crunch.

Its tough to say what it really does to the lows. They are definitely tighter, but I can't really say if there is less of them. If I get time, I will record some clips and put them up this week comparing the amp without the pedal to with the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
      Hmm tough to say, I never used it with the 6L6 tubes my Mesa had in it before. Switching to EL34s took out a lot of lows and then the boost pedal seems to take a bit more away from the lows, but the whole sound kind of moves up in the frequency range... it gets a lot more bite and has a more thumping midrange but it still has a lot of kick in the lows. The pedal was enough that I can play my amp with the gain just a bit past high noon now and still have a wicked crunch.

Its tough to say what it really does to the lows. They are definitely tighter, but I can't really say if there is less of them. If I get time, I will record some clips and put them up this week comparing the amp without the pedal to with the pedal.
      Thanks, you desecribed all my experince I ever had with overdrive/distortion stomps for over 25 years perfectly.

I'm really fussy about the organic "girth" of my tone of my Bogner and I don't want to change that one bit. But I do like that "push" a good stoms gives me for entended harmonics divebomb, and crazy pinch harmonics..ya know Dimebag/Eddie stuff..that's a big part of my playing style.

My Marshall Rig with JMP-1 does that like nuts without stomps, that's what I recorded a few solos with. My Bogner is not that "wank" friendly..I have to play much more precisely to hit everything on the head with that amp.

Both amps both have their place and I love them both. I just wished I could have the best of both worlds..and I think the right stomp with the Bogner is the answer for me.

OH, btw way I have EL34 in my Uber and I got so much more low end changing the stock JJ 12ax7 preamp tubes to Tung Sols..that really made a world of difference in low end and output..you
      may want to investigate that..I can't praise those enough!!

Thanks!

Bill Z
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Good info in this thread! I like to use pedals myself into my 2203. I use a MT-2 and various od's to drive the front for a boost, sometimes I use my eq. I have the YJM308 and the 4 stage tubescreamer. The tubescreamer has a setting with a bit of a bass boost that is cool, Donais told me about some new od pedal that everyone is freaked about but I forget the name.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Thanks, you desecribed all my experince I ever had with overdrive/distortion stomps for over 25 years perfectly.

I'm really fussy about the organic "girth" of my tone of my Bogner and I don't want to change that one bit. But I do like that "push" a good stoms gives me for entended harmonics divebomb, and crazy pinch harmonics..ya know Dimebag/Eddie stuff..that's a big part of my playing style.

My Marshall Rig with JMP-1 does that like nuts without stomps, that's what I recorded a few solos with. My Bogner is not that "wank" friendly..I have to play much more precisely to hit everything on the head with that amp.

Both amps both have their place and I love them both. I just wished I could have the best of both worlds..and I think the right stomp with the Bogner is the answer for me.

OH, btw way I have EL34 in my Uber and I got so much more low end changing the stock JJ 12ax7 preamp tubes to Tung Sols..that really made a world of difference in low end and output..you
          may want to investigate that..I can't praise those enough!!

Thanks!

Bill Z
          Hahaha I actually got the EL34s to reduce my low end a bit I was on the verge of selling my Mesa because it always had this big flabby low end, now I really like it but I still think I am going to get rid of it for a Engl of some kind.

It sounds like what you need isn't an overdrive pedal but a clean boost. You can get some pretty nice ones that give you a big kick in the pants as far as output goes but don't color the sound at all, the one that comes in the G Major might work, or a pedal might do you even better.. but I don't have much experience with those so I can't suggest much.

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
            Hahaha I actually got the EL34s to reduce my low end a bit I was on the verge of selling my Mesa because it always had this big flabby low end, now I really like it but I still think I am going to get rid of it for a Engl of some kind.

It sounds like what you need isn't an overdrive pedal but a clean boost. You can get some pretty nice ones that give you a big kick in the pants as far as output goes but don't color the sound at all, the one that comes in the G Major might work, or a pedal might do you even better.. but I don't have much experience with those so I can't suggest much.

..That's exactly what I use as a lead boost..a G Major. I 'm maxed out on my gain , that's where my amp sounds best for me, so I have no place to go there..that's the only thing I have in the loop.

Yeah, I may have to give John's bud modded stomps a try..we were just discussing this not long ago anywhoo. He's going to have to bring some of his toys over..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X