Iced Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iced Earth

Anyone check out the latest from Iced Earth with the "Ripper" on vocals? A buddy of mine says it's pretty good. Any comments?

Re: Iced Earth

I don't like it.

Comment

I was initially disappointed, but I've grown quite fond of it. There are a few crap songs - "Greenface" springs to mind - and, inexplicably, the US single-disc version leaves off "Waterloo", one of the best songs on the album - but, overall, it's pretty good. The pacing could use some work, though, as there's nothing really fast.

"Gettysburg" is, quite simply, the best "epic" done by any power metal band in recent memory. It's flat-out awesome. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Crimson II is better than gettysburg.

Comment

It was cussed and discussed in the non J/C related thread a while back. I found it but I couldn't figured out make a link to it... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Maybe someone else can.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...=002826#000000

DOH!!! You do it like this....for some reason I was thinking it was more complicated than that..

Comment

Stormrider is the best Iced Earth Cd there is. And is really the only one I get much enjoyment out of anymore. I used to be a hardcore Iced Earth fan, but...I seem to have grown out of them. I have all there albums, this new one...ugh, the lyrics are a corny history lesson..that I already know about. I don't find glorifying war a very respectful thing the way Jon portrays it in this songs.

Gettysburg was a massacre, not a glorious day of valiance. Everybody fuckin died...there wasn't anything cool about it.

Stormrider is high quality shit.

there are more epics from other bands that put this to shame. Light of Day, Day of Darkness (green carnation) is one. As well as the aforementioned Crimson II (dan swano, Edge of Sanity). The original Crimson is also better.
              Even the Something Wicked This way comes, and Dante's Inferno are better. and practically ever Opeth song ever written, is better than this.

Glorious Burden is just a burden on my CD collection right now. It's not terrible, but it bores me.

Comment

Well, we seem to know what The Drip's opinion is.

Mine is somewhat different - "Stormrider" has some great songs, but Greely drives me up the wall.

As for "Epics", Opeth songs aren't really what I meant - long, storytelling pieces. Don't get me wrong, I love Opeth, but they don't fit in the context of my meaning.

"Crimson" and "Crimson II" are epics, but neither is all that to me.

I will weigh in on one thing, though - I don't think it's being portrayed as a "glorious day of valiance" at all, and I don't see how people take it that way.

When you hit the "Slaughter now ensues, the bodies fall like rain" line, how can that be glorifying ANYTHING, especially given the context?

Simply talking about war does not inherently glorify it - and the "glory the only gain" line actually fits in with the mindset of the day. People in the South in the U.S. _still_ glorify those soldiers.

However, you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Mike
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I still have to check out the latest CD.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Burnt Offerings is my personal favorite Iced Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                    People in the South in the U.S. _still_ glorify those soldiers.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">People in the South still have sex with their sisters and don't realize the North won the Civil War. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The new IE took a couple weeks to grow on me but now I love it. I think it took a while because I got Into Eternity's new CD on the same day so I was pretty into that and had no time for IE.

I think this is a pretty good version of Iced Earth even though all the members (Ralph) don't get to stretch out and show what they can do. This whole CD sounds like the "John and Ripper show."
                      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I like it, but the guitars are more 'calm' now, not the same aggressive mix no the cd's as horror show for example.

Comment

They'll never top Stormrider, and Alive in Athens is still one of my favorite live LP's of all time. But that's just me [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

i've had it for 3 weeks. it has not grown on me at all. there is way better music out there than this rehashed, identical riffery.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Michael:
                              People in the South in the U.S. _still_ glorify those soldiers.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">People in the South still have sex with their sisters and don't realize the North won the Civil War. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, but people in New Jersey have sex with their mothers and don't realize the US tried to give New Jersey to Canada! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The Canadians weren't having it though!

Seriously, Gettysburg WAS a horrible slaughter, but many of us, North and South, have ancestors who fought and died there, for their country. It was the decisive battle of the Civil War really,
                              even though it continued for quite awhile afterward. It was the South's last attempt to be agressive against the Union, and the CSA couldn't afford the losses like the Union could, so the fate of the Confederacy was sealed.

Sorry for the boring history lesson Drip, and I do see your point, but there are millions of descendants of the Gettysburg
                              fighters who'd see it a lot different than you do.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X