What's so good about petrucci?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What\'s so good about petrucci?

tmdiamond: ur comments sort of gave me a wake up call and is humbly accepted,, and yes,, I believe ur more than qualified [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    and yes I don't consider myself mature at all.. still in college.. still have a lot to learn

my original intent was to get opinions on petrucci and that's all.. but yes.. I definately went over the top with my 2nd post (kind of ignited by lerxstcat, but its totally my bad)
    so I shall here apologize to all whom I offended, and admit that petrucci is an EXCELLENT guitar player. also please note I was speaking in relative terms, comparing him not to myself but to my personal favorite guitarists, so bias is almost inevitable.

so ya, I'll record myself and post MP3s someday (possibly some DT solos) and then u guys can trash my technique [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] speak all u want about how I suck compared to JP! but just wait for another 2 years! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (joke)

Comment

Brad:

That makes sense; as a kid you looked at Ace and said, "That dude's cool, and he pulls all the chicks!". It makes you want to take up guitar and be cool too. My influences were Page, Blackmore, Lifeson, Schenker and Roth, in order of discovery. I've been inspired by many guitarists since those, but those gave me my tastes for what I like in style and tonality.

Once you're into guitar for its own merits, then great players inspire you with the beauty of their playing. It can be simplistic or technically demanding, the beauty of music is there on all levels. You don't bring your level up by cutting others down though, in most cases you just look jealous when you try.

The kid could just be bragging, but don't forget Word; he was a pretty screaming player with less than 3 years under his belt when last we heard him, too. I'd really like to hear his playing if he can critique JP that way, though even if he does shred there's an arrogant attitude there that'll hold him up, since most folks are put off by that sort of thing. A humble guy with decent rock chops will always get more fans than a sneering virtuoso.

Mt: Just read your post. So I 'ignited" you by saying you must really be great if you think Petrucci's not that great? How does that work? I said you must be a monster; that's a compliment, though
      given with a dare. Symphony X would probably not exist if DT hadn't proven that such a band could survive
      so bear that in mind. You may owe JP for Michael Romeo's existence as you know it.

[ March 11, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

do u really have to call me a kid? [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        but then u might be old enough to be my dad [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] hahaha just kidding.

I agree with what u say, yes.
        but im in guitar for the music. I listen to classical music and jazz mostly. I love playing bach classical guitar style and improvising over jazz progressions. I played guitar for my highschool's jazz band and was the regular soloist in the band(trying not to brag more). and yes.. I can shred and sweep pretty smoothly. but my musical knowledge is VERY limited and I know that, and that's where its at for me,, not whether u can shred or sweep. wes montgomery couldn't shred or sweep but he is GREAT.

u might think Im an ambitious showoff bragging kid (just my guess), but I have absolutely no intention of becoming a rock star, becoming a great guitarist, or copying anybody. so there really isn't anything for my 'arrogance' to hold up.

music is what I love, and the guitar is what I use to make my music. how good ur technique is is a small part of it for me.

btw.. who or what is Word?

lerxstcat: just read ur edit LOL... if that's a compliment.. thanks but I didn't deserve it. and I did say its totally my bad.. and it was.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

MT:

Outside opinion here, as I've been watching this post (more out of morbid curiosity what the locals will say [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) about your post.

You kinda implied that John Petrucci isn't all that and a bag of chips, and even if you didn't intend for it to sound like this, basically said in 2 years you would be able to stomp JP (more or less).

Many of us love Dream Theatre and are awed by JP's technique and the interaction of the band live.

Like him or not, one thing can't be denied, John Petrucci can rock till the cows come home and have Moo Tai's on the back porch (sorry, I couldn't resist [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). He is technically astounding, has incredible speed, clarity, and articulation, and makes mind boggling sequences seem effortless (God, I hate him [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ).

Open your mind a bit...you will be surprised what can enter it....as we get older (collectively) we mature in various ways....musically, socially, etc.

Your youth, in all it's exhuberence, hinders you a bit.

Sit back, enjoy yourself, read the board and absorb some of the personalities and knowledge that abounds here. You will learn a lot if you allow yourself to.

This is just my opinion....but I think it is shared with the other long time locals of the board. Take it for what it is worth....or don't....it's up to you.

[ March 11, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: LesPaulCustom ]

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
            Talkin about La Brie...I think he's one of that kind of singer that you love or hate.Another reason cos I don't like DT is cos I hate his voice,all the heavy stuff they play is destroyed by his weak tone.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd rather have LaBrie than Dominici... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            Occupy JCF

Comment

LP custom:
              I cannot begin to describe how thoroughly I agree with u. and I really appreciate ur effort in putting ur comments in a very clear and understanding way. Yes, I did imply both those things (bag of chips and stomp JP).

everyone has musical preferences. I simply don't admire his musicality that much and I personally believe his technique isn't the most amazing (it still is amazing, but not absolutely incredible).

In fact, I have been listening to DT on and off for the past year in an effort to seek the essence of what so many of my friends hear in DT. But so far I have not found it yet.

HOWEVER, John Petrucci is still an EXCELLENT guitarist. I really liked his flight of a bumble bee solo, and its that track that got my started to playing that piece. it is quite impressive I must say.

as for the stomp JP thing.. that was totally out of my impulsiveness and perhaps over-confidence. I truly regret having said that. but please keep in mind that I don't see technique as that much of a big deal, so I made a stupid comment out of haste. so Im truly sorry for having offended people.

phew... *damage control* *damage control*..

ur absolutely right, this board and the ppl on it are GREAT, knowledgeable, humorous. I can see myself learning A LOT on this board. I will try my best to keep an open mind(i've been trying this for quite a while but I will try even harder now).

Thank you.

p.s. I LOVE the lespaul custom.... so beautiful...

Comment

Dream Theater can pull off all that difficult material on their albums when playing live, AND THEN SOME. I've seen/heard them add reggae, jazz, 70s rock, Floyd and Metallica (to name a few) to songs in their live set.
                I went to one show where the entire encore was Master of Puppets. IMO, they pulled off Metallica better than Metallica could.
                There is no way in hell Petrucci is mediocre. For the fellow who mentioned that he can match him in a couple, and also likes classical music, just listen to Once in a LIVEtime and listen to JP play "Flight of the Bumblebee". Maybe then you'll change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Plazmawine:
                  I went to one show where the entire encore was Master of Puppets. IMO, they pulled off Metallica better than Metallica could.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was at the show in Chicago where they did that. Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! Did you see that they're officially releasing one of the MoP shows on their Bootleg label?
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

They also did that with Maiden's The Number of the Beast album.

Mt, Word is a kid who doesn't come here anymore, but a then-14-year-old who posted some cool shred mp3s and videos.
                    He also had been playing less than 3 years the last time he posted, and was pretty well-regarded for his ability at that age. He also said a couple of unwise things, like once saying "Yngwie is weak", expressing his opinion relative to players he liked better, like Vai and yes, John Petrucci.

It's always down to taste and preference,
                    but when you put down someone who has made a diffenece in the prog metal scene,
                    it just comes off as petty jealousy. The guy has made his mark in prog music and deserves respect for that.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey didn't Word surpass Petrucci in his two years of playing at only 14? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                        You may owe JP for Michael Romeo's existence as you know it.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Considering DT's first album didn't come out until '89, Mike didn't know who JP was. I took lessons from Mike around '86/'87, and he was definitely influenced by Yngwie, Angelo, MacAlpine, Mercyful Fate, Accept and other old-school bands. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I wish I had 1/4 the talent he does. I put the guitar down for awhile and went back to it on and off. I wish I practiced more, because I still suck!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I see how that could be misread.

What I really meant was in the musical drought of the 90s, a band like Dream Theater being able to simply survive making music on its own terms probably gave Michael Romeo the faith to form/join a band like Symphony X and believe that THEY could survive on their own terms.
                          Otherwise he might be playing guitar for some Vegas revue and making a fat paycheck, just figuring the music in his head and heart would never sell.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rune The Axeman:
                            epitomy
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">epitome [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

kevin
                            the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mordor:
                              Talkin about La Brie...I think he's one of that kind of singer that you love or hate.Another reason cos I don't like DT is cos I hate his voice,all the heavy stuff they play is destroyed by his weak tone.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd rather have LaBrie than Dominici... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While I really think LaBrie is a great singer, sometimes he just seems a little whiney. I really liked Charlie Dominici, too, and I'm listening to When Dream And Day Unite right now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If only DT could get Ray Alder from Fates Warning as their singer, they'd totally rule! Wait, FW kicks DT's ass anyway, and Jim Matheos owns John Petrucci!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                                Petrucci's technique is as clear as a bell. I think that's one of the things that sets him apart from other players. You can hear the each individual note when he's playing. His control is absolutely amazing.

It was said before about the interplay between him and Kevin Moore, I think it has continued with Rudess as well.

Like him or not, Petrucci is doing a lot to help keep the art of the guitar solo from going the way of the Dinosaur.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You sum it up there.

I do beleive that Michael Romeo is a better guitar player than Petrucci but have seen them oth Live I just think the interplay fo dream Theater is so tight tighter than symph.....
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X