What's so good about petrucci?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What\'s so good about petrucci?

Right now ..I'm slappin' the "Mean Streets" intro with my PP at the 12th...it works , try it ....and it looks cool on stage. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, but if the high E pops you might get a modificaion to your circumcision!
      [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Roxy and Maxine Petrucci are sisters, and
      would be of the age to be John's sisters or cousins, if anything. I don't know if they are related though. If so, they are from the more ordinarily-talented side of the family!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I prefer Jan Kuehnemund [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

mt
          It sounds like you have everything you will need to make your mark on the world. You can build computers, and you can figure out other people's body of work. I am thoroughly impressed with your accomplishments, and i think it's time for you to go out into the real world, leave the shelter of college, and begin your journey into the complaiscent life you've carved out for yourself. Good Luck man. You'll need it.
          1990 Jackson Professional
          1992 Dean ML
          2004 Epiphone Flying V
          2005 Epiphone Dot
          2009 Fender Stratocaster
          2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
          2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
          2006 Fender P Bass
          2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
          1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
          1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
          Custom Pedalboard
          ADA MP1
          ADA FX2
          Tascam 2488

Comment

Originally posted by DJROBA:

complaiscent
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
              I prefer Jan Kuehnemund [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jan's hot - I love her hair! I'd take Janet Gardner of them all though; she's
              the best package to me. Not that I'd turn any of them down, though! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mt:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DJROBA:

complaiscent
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh NO you din't!!!

Originally posted by mt:
                ur
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Hahaha. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Wow. This is the 10001th post in the artist section, and Tekky's is 10000th.

[ March 16, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: mt ]

Comment

I'm a big John Petrucci and Dream Theater fan. They absolutely smoke! They do tend to loose some people by the shear complexity of their music which is O.K. as they're not really out to impress the 3 minute long radio crowd with their music. Petrucci can hang with just about all the big name players mentioned in this thread. And to top it off, everyone in that band is on that same level which is unbelievable. Go see them live and your jaw will hit the floor. Just be prepared to put up with 10-15 minute long songs which I don't mind personally. Dream Theater rules! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Now if we could only talk Fender/Jackson into nabbing Petrucci with a Jackson endorsement away from EBMM [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Rudy

P.S. My favorite Dream Theater song is Voices.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker:
                      loose
                      shear

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sorry about the typos there Ron. Damn, thats the first time you've caught me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Rudy
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Those aren't typos!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I think that John Petrucci is one the greatest rock guitarist to ever come along. I love his tone and his phrasing but it looks like I'm in the minority here.

Comment

Yep, Petrucci rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                                As an art form I like colored paint instead of just black and white drawings but you can express yourself in both worlds that's what its all about. If you can express yourself with simple songs cool, if you can't express yourself with complex pieces that's fine too bit don't dog it.

Mozart and Bach...where's the song? They expressed themselves very well but most people aren't into it...doesn't mean it not good stuff. Just as classical guitarist may never head SRV wail, doesn't mean it isn't good either, just different.

when people dog certain types of music..its usually guitarists who are either too lazy to improve their abilities or musical knowledge base and learn other stuff that is outside their comfort zone or stuck in the simplistic form of music. Where you are at doesn't matter just as long as YOU are happy with it.

I have the opposite viewpoint on your last statement, I think Pertucci COULD play and create stuff that is not technically challenging, and for what its worth technically challenging isn't always good stuff. I think that is the difference. People who possess the technique and musical knowledge CAN play simpler blues type stuff it they so choose. But if you reverse the tides can a blues based player break out of the pentatonics and improvise over a difficult jazz or classical progression? Maybe...

As mentioned by several people its all a matter of tastes...I like all forms of music and can play a lot of them. I lean towards classical influences more than blues or jazz but it doesn't mean I can't play with feel have a great time playing an AC/DC cover.

for the record I don't have an issue with anyone's opinion, I like JP but I only have 2 albums of DT stuff. Also I would be disappointed if I went to a DT show and all they performed were Metallica songs [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [/QB]
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On the subject of "feeling=blues" vs "technical=emotionless" - I never said that. Some Classical composers did have technically brilliant AND emotional pieces - none had shuffle beats or double-bends. Bending a note doesn't inject feeling into it, no matter how technically accurate that bend is (i.e. "lifted straight off of Layla or The Thrill Is Gone"). Running a scale doesn't make it technical, either. It's all in the phrasing. Yes, you can play a Pentatonic scale in a Classical (i.e. technically phrased) manner, and you can turn a Mixolydian scale into a searingly emotional statement (with or without bending).

Just because a song is simple doesn't mean it's loaded with emotion. The original Mary Had A Little Lamb is hardly on the Classic Rock Charts (not including SRV's cover of Howlin Wolf [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                                When was the last time you jammed out to 'The Alphabet Song"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I know Petrucci can do Clapton, SRV, and BB King. He can probably make it sound technically accurate concerning the bends and slides and vibrato - all of which can be broken down into scientific/mathematical formulae - but can he make it sound convincing? Can he duplicate Mozart's phrasing for Ein Kleine Nachtmusik? Can anyone?

Newc
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X