What's so good about petrucci?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What\'s so good about petrucci?

Dream Theatre is doing exactly what they want to do, and more power to um. If they want comercial success, they can and know how to do it. Just write more songs like Pull Me Under. It got played on the radio quite a bit around here and actually was the first song I heard from them.

Any single member in Dream Theatre has more technical tallent than 99% of any complete band out there. They are just a little too technical for my tastes. I have Images and Words and that is about all I will probably buy from them.

Matt

Comment

I think that petrucci's stuff is pretty boring. I also think that Vai and Malmsteen are sleep inducing. Its cool that they can shred and everything, but they rarely ever evoke any sort of emotional response from me. My buddy and I call that kind of music "wank rock" cuz all they are doing is wanking off on the guitar.

Comment

I think the reason many people think it's boring is becuase the most people here are metalheads and John Petrucci is basically a Progressive guitarist. It's like progressive music through high gain amplifiers, and a little shred stuff. Progressive is supposed to be technical, some people like it, some don't. Just my two cents.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I think the reason many people think it's boring is becuase the most people here are metalheads and John Petrucci is basically a Progressive guitarist. It's like progressive music through high gain amplifiers, and a little shred stuff. Progressive is supposed to be technical, some people like it, some don't. Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yep, I think that's it too. (I've never really liked anything that gets labelled prog and dream theater is definetely included there); but to each their own [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I think the reason many people think it's boring is becuase the most people here are metalheads and John Petrucci is basically a Progressive guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I don't really like the sound of that. That statement sounds kind of condescending. Most of the music that the 'metalheads' of this board listen to IS very progressive. I don't think the reason is because Dream Theater's music is just 'over our heads'. Can someone not just be genuinely critical of John Petrucci? Or does there have to be some ulterior reason.

Comment

like some others, he is my main reason to play for a long time. like many others I don't care for his latest 2 albums.

I think if someone wants to hear what he can do, that individuals should listen to liquid tension experiment. that is pretty wide in musical variety. I learned a lot from that stuff and he is for quite some time my #1 fav guitar player, and most likely will be so for the next 60 years

Harrald

Comment

I also recommend the Liquid Tension stuff, absolutely incredible playing from ALL members of the band. I saw DT live last year for the first time (w/King's X and Satriani at the Tabernacle in Atlanta)and they were simply monsterous. I've been playing guitar for 27 years now and will never achieve the level of musicianship I saw displayed that night.If you can surpass it in 5 years of playing, more power to ya! Sure, some folks might be bored to tears by the intricate key/meter changes, but I get bored with 4/4 pop songs, so it's all a matter of personal taste. I was surprised that LaBrie didn't suck as much as I expected him to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As many folks here have already said (in so many different ways) Music is in the ear of the beholder.

Comment

The guy is a monster player. I haven't heard any of his songs that make me want to learn them but I can definitely
                  appreciate his talent.
                  I've got his instructional video and I've definitely learned
                  some good practice material.

Comment

Petrucci is a great player, actually I guess a more appropriate word would be an excellent player because he is very precise and technical. That does NOT make you a "great" player. A great player in my opinion is someone that has it all tone, phrasing, a vision, someone like EVH or Hendrix.

Petrucci can often be guilty of sounding like he is giving a clinic----in other words he sounds like a guitar teacher. You might not hear any mistakes, but not much passion either. For that type of playing I would rather hear Yngwie, who is full of fire and tone and yes ROCK. Petrucci does not have a rock & roll soul, and that's not good....... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      I think the reason many people think it's boring is becuase the most people here are metalheads and John Petrucci is basically a Progressive guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I don't really like the sound of that. That statement sounds kind of condescending. Most of the music that the 'metalheads' of this board listen to IS very progressive. I don't think the reason is because Dream Theater's music is just 'over our heads'. Can someone not just be genuinely critical of John Petrucci? Or does there have to be some ulterior reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I didn't mean it like that. I just mean that a lot of people might not like him because he's really a prog guitarist. Except for Train of Thought, most of his works are prog. So a metalhead might not like his style because he's not really a metal guitarist (with the exception of TOT and few songs on other albums.) Sorry if I sounded like an ass.

Comment

And everybody needs to listen to A Change of Seasons, and Scenes From a Memory, NOT Train of Thought if you want to hear him playing. Also Liquid Tension Experiment too. I believe those albums show his real musicianship and also the rest of the bands.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I didn't mean it like that. I just mean that a lot of people might not like him because he's really a prog guitarist. Except for Train of Thought, most of his works are prog. So a metalhead might not like his style because he's not really a metal guitarist (with the exception of TOT and few songs on other albums.) Sorry if I sounded like an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem.

Comment

For all guys into LTE, I advice you to check out Karizma, or any other Landau/Colaiutta project. These guys really smoke and once you heard Vinnie Colaiutta on drums, pff man, what can I say. If God played drums his name would be Vinnie Colaiutta ;-)

Comment

I never really liked much of dream theater. Songs like lie to me seemed exactly like what prog shouldnt be, one riff over and over with singing, sounds like pop or numetal to me (not the music, just the idea of "one riff is all we need") i heard that quite a bit on the new album too. Now i know there are some songs like that so dont everyone bash me at once. Erotomania is one of my favorite songs and LTE is just freaking amazing. As for technicality and musical knowledge he is the man. And i agree with whoever said that dream theater does metallica better than metallica does.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Petrucci is a great player, actually I guess a more appropriate word would be an excellent player because he is very precise and technical. That does NOT make you a "great" player. A great player in my opinion is someone that has it all tone, phrasing, a vision, someone like EVH or Hendrix.

Petrucci can often be guilty of sounding like he is giving a clinic----in other words he sounds like a guitar teacher. You might not hear any mistakes, but not much passion either. For that type of playing I would rather hear Yngwie, who is full of fire and tone and yes ROCK. Petrucci does not have a rock & roll soul, and that's not good....... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD!!!!

Anders
                                https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                                X