Victor Wooten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Wooten

Anyone ever heard of this guy? He is unbelievable. This guy is a machine! A bass guitar playing machine. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Victor Wooten

My brother is a fan of his and I've checked out some of his work. He is a phenomenal player but I just can't stand to listen to him...something in his style just doesn't sound good to me.

Comment

Wootan is the man , my style is very comparable honestly..and Stu Hamm , and Manring's.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I taught , slapped and tapped on bass for 25 years ..

I just play guitar exclusively now ....but I'll be buying me some bass gear soon...again!

I wanna be great at both Lead , Rythm and Bass

But do you know what is true ...No matter how good I get on guitar there is thousands still better.

But on bass there may be just a few!

Maybe! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Victor is awesome. His brother Reggie tought him how to play bass with his unique style. Reggie plays guitar like Victor plays bass.
          I've seen a few videos with both of them doing a clinic/concert kind of thing. Reggie had a scrunchy on his strings to mute the ones he wasnt using. It was cool and disturbing all at the same time.
          Gil

Comment

Do not buy any of Victor's solo stuff, chances are it will bore you to tears! I bought one of his solo CD's and have since been struggling to get rid of it. It totally sucks, boring and lame as a plastic fork.

Check out his stuff with Bela Fleck. That's the shit!

Victor is the man, when he plays for other people. But, he can't write good solo bass music to save his life.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
              Wootan is the man , my style is very comparable honestly..and Stu Hamm , and Manring's.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I taught , slapped and tapped on bass for 25 years ..

I just play guitar exclusively now ....but I'll be buying me some bass gear soon...again!

I wanna be great at both Lead , Rythm and Bass

But do you know what is true ...No matter how good I get on guitar there is thousands still better.

But on bass there may be just a few!

Maybe! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds like a wild boast! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] j/k I'd like to hear some of your bass playing. My brother, who is a bassist, played me a Wooten disc. The guy is an animal on the bass.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I love Wooten. but as a fan and fellow korean, I gotta give love to my 6 string man, John Myung!

Comment

I do lots tapping and slapping and all kinds of crap..

but it was all made up with a drum machine ...so all my "type-writing" is done in perfect time.

I make up all my Bass riffs to a click or something.

You can get crazy but it has to be "musical and in time"...well that's a bass players job...major role.

I like Claypool and he uses a lot of the same techniques as a lot of tappers and slappers but he a little too off the wall ...some of his stuff is still awesome.

I satrted to slap when I first saw Tony Levin back in 1981 in King Crimson ..he's was tappin on his Chapman stick....back then I couldn't afford or even know where to find a Chapman ..so I just applied that to bass..so he was my main influence i supoose!

Jeff Berlin and Louis Johnson are my biggest kicks in my ass... those guys will always be THE SHIT! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Myung is in a class all his own that's a whole different animal ...he's very , very good ..their is a lot of great Progressive metal bassist that try and sound like him...I've noticed in many Prog Metal ..DT wanna be bands!

I say Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck back in '91 or so ...and he fucking kicked my ass ...the coolest tapping bass solo I even seen in my life ...and with a backflip in mid slap to boot!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

There's an awesom bass player here in Chicago that goes by the name of Buscuit Williams. The dude is insane on bass and makes Billy Dickens look like a beginer. He plays with Anthony Gomes
                    (great local blues guy with chops bigger than SRV)
                    Anyway I saw Anthony a couple of weeks ago and during his bass solo Biscuit went balistic on the bass and did some shit i hadnt seen a bass player do before. And Ive seen anthony 4 times now. Buscuit just gets better every time I see him.
                    He's doing this wicked bass solo and starts tapping and pulling out harmonics and then swings the bass around his head like Yngwie only the other way (body first) And this was a heavy ass Pedulla MVP 5 string. Then continues his solo then flips it again. and I dont mean the wimpy flip Yngwie does. Buscuit threw it over his shoulder and it flew back. it took maybe a half a second to go around his neck and he wears his bass high on his chest too.
                    It was insae to see.
                    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
                      I love Wooten. but as a fan and fellow korean, I gotta give love to my 6 string man, John Myung!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I love John Myung! He's the reason I almost became a full time bassist instead of a full time guitarist.

Comment

Working...
                      X