Artist picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Artist picks

You're right about May. Yngwie uses 1,5 mm, as far as I know. Do you think it's easier to reach his level, using thicker picks?

Comment

Originally posted by The Chase:
      Yngwie uses 1,5 mm, as far as I know. Do you think it's easier to reach his level, using thicker picks?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't necessarily say it's easier to reach his level using those picks, but they do help with playing really fast. Thick picks are often known as speed picks, since they don't bends when they strike the strings.

I use those Dunlop 2mm Delrins, standard shape. I use to use the purple jazz shaped tortex picks with the sharp edge. I like the standard shaped picks more now because for one, there's more pick to hold on to. Also, I found I can go just as fast with standard shaped pick, once I get the technique down. Plus, I like the little nuances a standard pick can give, as opposed to the jazz picks.

Comment

i dunno, i always thought heavier pick = better playing. This is certainly not the case, well at least for me. I like to use my whole arm when speed picking etc etc, cause my wrist dies out too easily, anyways, i've found that thicker picks are more sluggish, and more heavier in my hand, which slows me down heaps, i gave the fender mediums a go today, probably the best pick i've used, only shit thing is they chip way too fast.
        All in all, with a tortex blue or fender medium, i can play faster rhythm and lead than with a 1.5 gator grip, 2mm stubby, jazz III etc.
        cheers (use what you feel is best)

Comment

I use those Dunlop 2mm Delrins, standard shape.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I use these too. They're very slick on the strings. You dont really have to "pick" the string. You kind of graze the pick across the top of the string. (Yeah, I guess it's still picking...) I can play faster with these than any other picks I've used. I've been using them for about a year now.

I think I recall reading that George Lynch has used these on tour.

Comment

I caught a pick at an Yngwie show a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure it was a 2.0mm, since it was thicker than the 1.5mm Dunlop Delrins I was using at the time (the light-purple ones).

Now, I use either the 1.14mm Delrins (the dark pink ones) or the Dunlop 3.0mm Big Stubby--it's like the little ones with the point, but with enough material that you can grab onto it. I find that the 3.0mm is good for starting practice or if I'm a bit rusty. But I get much more precise picking, as well as better speed and tone, with the 1.14mm picks once I've got my technique back on track.

The advantage with thinner pick is that you can pick rapid notes on the same string much more easily, while the disadvantage is that it is more difficult to switch strings with a thinner pick due to its flexibility causing it to resist moving off the string. But once I've practiced a bit with the 1.14mm and gotten my string-skipping back up to snuff, those are definitely the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredFred:
              You kind of graze the pick across the top of the string.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's exactly what I discovered. It's takes a little practice to get used to, but once you got it you can play just as fast as any jazz pick. And, you don't have to work as hard.

Comment

Alright, now back on track, guys!

Comment

Working...
                X