The earliest example of Downtuning in Rock music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The earliest example of Downtuning in Rock music

I guess we can credit Reggy Tielman of the Dutch Rock band "The Tielman Brothers" for putting that low growl in Rock music.

The Tielman Brothers. From left to right: Ponthon Tielman (bass), Andy Tielman (Voc. Lead guitar), Reggy Tielman (downtuned rythm guitar) Laurence Tielman (drums)

The Tielman Brothers were one of the loudest rowdiest bands in their day, rivaling many current day metal band with the intensity of their performances. They included tossing the guitars to each other, letting the drummer tap on the guitar strings with his sticks and playing the guitars with their feet. And they did that in 1959!

Reggy Tielman tuned his Les Paul down to a low C to make up for the lack of low end coming from the upright bass. But the result was a very dark and evil growl for which the Tielman brothers were known. Toni Iommy only emerged nearly ten years later.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

So I guess I'm on the right track here with stating that Reggy Tielman invented downtuning to use in rock music.

Holy shit! That was cool. That dude's got some crazy stretch! He retunes the guitar just before he stands on the bass the first time. How come Europe always makes the cool stuff?
    Last edited by buzzsaww; 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

F-yeah! That was awesome!

Comment

Awsome Jack.

Comment

snap- snap- snap- snap

Comment

Pure Rock 105.5!

Comment

that was fuckin nuts!

all those guys needed was a distortion pedal
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                Toni Iommy only emerged nearly ten years later.
                Who?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That totally kicked fuggin' ass!!!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Andy might be creditable for the first 10 string too. He made his own after switching to Fender guitars. http://indorock.pmouse.nl/story.htm
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

A little (slightly) pre-EVH tapping in this one...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Ha ha, that was GREAT! A surf version of Ochi Chornya! That was one of my fave songs when I was just learning the piano as a kid!

Also, kinda ironic, as The Van Halen bros are also Dutch/Indonesian mix!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Now we know where the "Stray Cats" stole their chops and stage show!
                          History just repeats itself, doesnt it?

Comment

They were leaders in "IndoRock", they are Indonesian. I have seen all of their YouTube videos, they are cool as hell.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

That was wicked! That shit must have freaked people out in 1960.
                              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                              X