Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusty Cooley "Under the Influence" music video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Cooley "Under the Influence" music video!

Hey Guys,

I was over at the Dean website drooling over the Rusty sig. 7 string (yes even though it has the gigeresque graphic... I like it a lot BTW)and at the bottom of the page there was the Dean produced music video for his Under the Influence song!! Check it out
    Rusty Cooley Under the influence dean promo vid.. Shredtastic if i can say so myself.

I really like the section starting at 1:12

Very cool! My favourite RC song!

That section is my fave too! And the legato/arpeggio that he plays in the other vid with his Jackson is good too .
    Last edited by Nazgul; 03-16-2007, 07:39 AM.

Comment

He absolutely kills. I wonder if he had to get permission from the maestro himself Yngwie J Malmsteen before he could rip off every lick that he ever recorded. The main difference between Yngwie and Rusty is Yngwie plays with feel.

Comment

I like Rusty Cooley way better than Ol' Twangbar Malmsteen. But now that you mention it..... hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          He absolutely kills. I wonder if he had to get permission from the maestro himself Yngwie J Malmsteen before he could rip off every lick that he ever recorded. The main difference between Yngwie and Rusty is Yngwie plays with feel.
          check out his band Outworld, its wayyyy less yngwie-eqsque, Rusty really came into his own as a guitarplayer on the debut album.
          www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Yngwie does play with feel. Rusty is not there yet.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'm not sure how feel is quantified, but Rusty is a way good player. IMHO, he's the best there is right now if shred is your thing. Check out some of his other playing. Anyone who shreds has stolen something from Mr Malmsteen. Rusty is not all sweeps though. I love Malmsteen, and he's who I most desire to sound like, but Rusty's material , IMHO, is more versatile. He's certainly comfortable with a multitude of modalities. In that sense he's closer to Dream Theater than to Yngwie.

Also, I just want to state for the record that he is as humble as they come. He will tell you himself that he is a student of the guitar and that he is constantly learning new things. You couldn't ask for a nicer guy.

Comment

Rusty is good anyway you look at it. Certainly not criticising here. I just think he should diversify a little - that is develop his vibrato techniques and combine them with nice melodic lines. Slow down a little sometimes and let the music breath. Not play at full speed all of the time.

I have heard him play melodically.

I like Rusty's new stuff better since he seems to be working on vibrato now. Vibrato takes ongoing development over the course of one's playing career and I think he does not taking full advantage of what he is capable of expressing is all. Maybe its just because he is always on 100% full speed.
                Last edited by shredmonster; 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I may have a different perspective because I had the privilege of training under him for a few months. I finally mastered (although there's always room for improvement) my sweep picking with his guidance. This was probably 2 or 3 years ago. I'm not sure what's on record, but sitting in that small room his vibrato was one of the specific things I liked. It was real wide, deep, and not too fast. We even talked about it one day, and I brought up John Sykes, whose vibrato I also admire. Rusty's tapping, picking, legato, sweeping, and scalar knowledge are all just insane.

Anyway, I'm just saying I'm a huge fan of the player and the person. I wish everyone could have the experience of taking lessons with him. I learned a lot about the instrument, and even more about humility.

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
                    I just think he should diversify a little - that is develop his vibrato techniques and combine them with nice melodic lines.
                    dude, he has a pretty good vibrato since the days he played in 80's metal band

also, I remember he once said something like.... he can't stand players with bad vibrato.... If i remember correctly

that being said, the "song" was boring as hell, but that's okay because all neo-classical guitar music is booring.... it's my opinion of course... after Yngwie, T-Mac and Vinnie showed their shit everyone else sounded like clones.
                    Last edited by Endrik; 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

his solos on the new Outworld tracks are way better, but the music as a whole is ghey IMO, his old band from way back kicked ass, very similar to Skid Row
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Hey guys.. I know that Rusty is great. I also know that he plays great in many different styles. All I am saying is that the posted video tells me that either Rusty is a big fan of Malmsteen or he is a closet neo-classical Paganini type player.

Comment

Paganini - hmmmmmmmmmm - everyone was always picking on that guy.

I love listening to him.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I've heard a lot about Paganini, but literally know nothing about him. Is he a violin player? Anything you guys can point me to and save me the effort of Googling?

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                              I've heard a lot about Paganini, but literally know nothing about him. Is he a violin player? Anything you guys can point me to and save me the effort of Googling?

A very famous violin virtuoso, who toured Europe hundreds of years ago, impressing the audience with his violin shredding and fingerboard pyrotechnics.

Also known to be an eccentric personality with a dark, brooding image and long messy hair, who has a taste for black outfits.

So... pretty much the earliest "rock guitarist" in recorded history

The 24 Caprices he wrote are still commonly regarded as tests of a violonist's mastery of the instrument. And all the famous Neoclassical Metal guitarists all seemed to have recorded either the 5th or the 24th Caprice (or both) at one time or the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X