Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years ago today..We shall never forget Him

December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982

On March 19, 1982, the band was headed to a festival in Orlando, Florida, when they stopped at the bus driver's house in Leesburg, Florida after driving much of the night. The driver, Andrew Aycock, whose pilot license had expired, took Rhoads and hairdresser Rachel Youngblood on a plane he had taken without permission and took off early that morning. Apparently, during the flight, an attempt was made to "buzz" the tour bus where the other band members were sleeping. They succeeded three times but the fourth time it went horribly wrong. The right wing clipped the right side of the tour bus by accident and crashed into a nearby mansion completely destroying the front. Nobody in the mansion was hurt. Rhoads, age 25, was killed instantly, as were Aycock, 36, and Youngblood, 58. It was found later that Aycock had an expired flying license and had some amount of cocaine in his system; Rhoads's toxicology test revealed no illicit drugs.
    Randy's funeral was held at the First Lutheran Church in Burbank, CA, where he attended as a child. He was interred at Mountain View Cemetery in San Bernardino, California (where his grandparents are also buried). At the time, Randy's mother was living in Burbank. The Rhoads family and many fans gather there on the anniversary of his death as well as his birthday to pay tribute and

Comment

It`s true he is and will be one of the best...
      My 1st ever idol, cause of him I started playing and
      felt in love with the RR model...
      My biggest influence!
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

me 2

Comment

me 3

Comment

Cool pic's, thanks for the post...

Comment

RIP Randy
              ----------
              Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Nice thread, Randy is/was one of the greatest guitarist ever! I just wish he could have been with us to share more of his awesome guitar composition and playing.

R.I.P. Randy
                sigpic

Comment

We miss you Randy! God Bless!!
                  1990 Jackson Professional
                  1992 Dean ML
                  2004 Epiphone Flying V
                  2005 Epiphone Dot
                  2009 Fender Stratocaster
                  2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                  2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                  2006 Fender P Bass