Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where were you when you first heard Randy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were you when you first heard Randy?

I'll start....

I had been seeing ads for Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz album in the magazines. This was around 1981/1982-ish. I remember it saying something about the "legendary singer of Black Sabbath." I honestly thought nothing about it because I had never gotten into Sabbath.

Then one night, I was listening to an FM station and the DJ said something like, "This is Ozzy Osborne from the new album, 'Blizzard of Ozz.' The song is called 'Crazy Train.'"

I will NEVER forget hearing that. Great riff, great rhythm, scorching solo.

As a side note, a lot of people malign Randy's studio tone and I can sort of see where they're coming from, but at the time, I was absolutely blown away because I had never heard anything even close. Years later a guy I worked with pointed out that Randy's sound was similar to Boston. I had never thought about it before that, but it does sound somewhat like Boston but with more of an edge.

Soon after that, I bought the Guitar World issue with Randy on the cover (I bought them every month). I read the interview and thought, "this guy is really nice and polite."

I never heard about it at the time he died, but in the next issue of Guitar World, there was a small blurb in the "news" section at the front about it, maybe a paragraph. I couldn't believe it, since he had been the cover story just a month earlier. At first I thought it couldn't be the same guy.

What about you guys? How were you introduced to Randy?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I was 15 years old working on the family farm in Illinois.... Sitting in the pick-up truck listening to the radio at lunch.... The DJ did an intro voice over (nailed the post) during the beginning of Crazy Train, I was thinking to myself, "Shut the fuck-up so that I can hear this killer guitar riff..."....... I didnt want a weather & traffic report.....

What a Jackoff!!

A~
    All hail the 'King'
    R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

I was about 14 (1980) when I heard an ad on the radio for a concert, at the end of the ad they played 'crazy train' and said Ozzy was the opening act. I never heard such an over the top sound before and I went out and bought it. I wore that record out! I finally got tickets for the show on my birthday 3/16/82 and of course he dies three days later, I saw Bernie Torn(?) a few months later and a bald bloated Ozzy, cool show but we all missed a chance to see Randy.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Walked into my friends house (Bills old guitarist in the VanhHalen tribute) and he'd already learned a bunch of the first album and was playing it with Bill on bass.

I was floored and was out to get the album shortly afterwards. Obviously it was in 1980-81.

I missed them on a club tour that they'd come through on I seem to remember, and then finally got to see Randy doing a large hall show on the next tour. Pretty impressive. He died about two months later.

Comment

The first time I ever even heard of him was when I joined this site back in '04, believe it or not. I wasn't a metal fan back in the 80's, though I do remember Ozzy's guitarist getting killed in a plane crash.
          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

2004 at a Philadelphia Flyers game. Im serious I ddint know who it was at the time, but I looked it up and I've been a fan ever since.

Comment

I picked up the Diary album, just cause the cover was so cool. Completely floored me. I must have been 14 or 15 at the time..

Comment

I was 10...It was just released...My best friends Dad was given this album from his friend who owned a record store. He just grabbed it off the "New releases" shelf.

So, Tracy and I get to his house after school and there is this record that says...(So we thought) Ezzy Esbourne Anyhow...I think we played the first two songs all day.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

There was a radio station in Niles, MI. They played whole albums and were known as album 95, lol. They played Blizzard and I was smoking a dime bag with my buddies crusing the streets in my 76 Cutlass.
                  Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I was like 15 when I weekly visited a public place in Brussels where they lend you vinyl (those were the days)..
                    one day, I saw the Blizzard LP and I honestly didn't expected too much off it, but when that first riff of I don't Know sounded through my parents amp, I knew enough.. this was gonna leave a big impression, and it did..
                    20 years later I even flew around the world to meet his mom to tell her personally how big of a fan I still am!

Comment

It was on MTV... Masters Ozzy Osbourne...
                      When I`ve heard the Crazy Train riff I was all over
                      Randy....
                      Then I`ve searched the net for him ...
                      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

i was 7 years old and not yet exposed to the wizardry of guitar players.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

My older friend in high school played me Crazy Train, and i was hooked. A couple months later, saw Ozzy with Randy in concert at what's now known as the Providence Performing Arts Center in Rhode Island....The opening band? Some guys called Def Leppard

Comment

In my grams attic, with my uncle. I heard him playing diary of a madman, and i asked my uncle "if I play for a year, can I play like that?" and he said "it'd better be a long year."

Comment

11 years old the first day that blizzard of ozz came out I saw it at the music store and bought the album.he was a fresh new breath of air and IMO much more talented Than Eddie van halen as far as far as skills go

Comment

Working...
                              X