Alex Skolnick - a man with integrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Skolnick - a man with integrity

Blasting-Zone.com: What prompted you to stop playing Ibanez guitars? Are you still playing Les Paul Gibsons?

Alex: "Well, the Ibanez was a great metal guitar when I started playing it, but a couple of things happened. I felt that the quality of the guitars that were being sold weren't of the same quality as the guitars I was playing. They would send me these really nice, well-crafted guitars, but then if you went and bought one in the stores, they were just terrible. I felt bad that people were buying an instrument because I played it and then having it not be of the same quality. Another thing was that once I switched to playing jazz, I was mostly playing hollow body guitars, which I still do. I've found that the Les Paul guitar is a very versatile guitar and it actually feels the closest to a hollow body. Much more so than a Stratocaster-type guitar. So I started playing Les Paul guitars and then got turned on to Heritage guitars. Heritage guitars are actually made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo and it's run by old Gibson workers. The guitars are very similar to Gibsons but the quality is…as good as the Gibsons from the '70s and the '80s. A Gibson now…they have good years and they have bad years. And there such a big company, everything is mass-produced. Some of them play great and some of them play not so great. It's kinda hit-or-miss. I still play a couple of Gibsons, but the ones that I play are older. With Heritage, you can buy a new guitar with them and it's guaranteed to be handcrafted."

quoted from Blabbermouth

be warned: please keep his politics quotes out of this thread, or go start your own!

A real mans's words!
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I couldn't agree more
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Hail yesterday

Comment

!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

?
            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

±¹
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Skolnick is the man all the way around I have seen Testament a few times up until 1992 and they are amazing and I just bought the 2005 Live In London DVD, still bad ass

Comment

What jazz has he played? Never heard him outside of Testament

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    What jazz has he played? Never heard him outside of Testament
                    He was in Savatage, Skol Patrol, Alex Skolnick Trio.

http://www.alexskolnick.com/bio.asp?...ry=discography
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, being from and still in Kalamazoo all I can say is 'Hell yeah for the hometown Heritage boys!!' I drool over their work every chance I get. Used Heritage guitars pop up frequently around here, I've just been waiting for the right hollow body to show up. I think there were at least two used Heritage guitars for sale at every guitar store in town when I made the rounds a week or two ago. It's good to see them getting some recognition, they really do outstanding work.

Comment

wow, he pretty much nailed it.

nice to see he's not all about the $$.

I like most of the Heritage guitars I've seen, except for their headstock...
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

One of my really good friends is one of Alex's students.. and he says that Alex is a super nice guy
                          Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                            Well, being from and still in Kalamazoo all I can say is 'Hell yeah for the hometown Heritage boys!!' I drool over their work every chance I get. Used Heritage guitars pop up frequently around here, I've just been waiting for the right hollow body to show up. I think there were at least two used Heritage guitars for sale at every guitar store in town when I made the rounds a week or two ago. It's good to see them getting some recognition, they really do outstanding work.
                            Some Heritage guitars popped up at a store here recently, and I think they are more Gibson than Gibson these days. By that I mean, Heritage guitars are the quality Gibson should have been now and got known to be.
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonite View Post
                              One of my really good friends is one of Alex's students.. and he says that Alex is a super nice guy

JRT
                              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                              X