who uses a PSA-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who uses a PSA-1?

ive found a few bands who use it, or have used it (Helion, and unsigned band in Finland, Roope Latvala and Alexi Laiho in Sinergy, Fates Warning, Michael Wilton from Queensryche, and Hypocrisy...)

does anyone know any other bands/artists who use the PSA-1? im just trying to find examples of peoples tones with it and what it really can do.

My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

It appears on the gear gallery section of Marty Friedman's website,but I don't think he has used it much.
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
      It appears on the gear gallery section of Marty Friedman's website,but I don't think he has used it much.
      interesting...thanks!
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Michael Sweet and with Stryper. He uses it for all the Mesa Rectifier tones for studio recording. The PSA-1 sounds great live as well. The unit has very good Marshall, Mesa, Vox and Fender tones as well as Fender and Ampeg Bass amp tones.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I had one, but it just didn't do much for me. It was a bit too sterile IMHO. I'd still like to have it though...

Comment

Yeah, though I wasn't really using it, I wish I hadn't sold mine as well... Did some things pretty cool. It just wasnt a full out solution for me. Then again, nothing is really....

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
              Then again, nothing is really....
              :ROTF: Amen! I'd be a rich man had I realized that MANY years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                Michael Sweet and with Stryper. He uses it for all the Mesa Rectifier tones for studio recording. The PSA-1 sounds great live as well. The unit has very good Marshall, Mesa, Vox and Fender tones as well as Fender and Ampeg Bass amp tones.
                what recordings, btw? im not a big Stryper fan but i wanna hear some of that stuff. ill have to search out a couple songs to listen to.

i agree, some of the Mesa patches are pretty cool...i really like the Van Halen marshall patch
                Available Now!
                New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Yeah, though I wasn't really using it, I wish I hadn't sold mine as well... Did some things pretty cool. It just wasnt a full out solution for me. Then again, nothing is really....
                  yea...it doesnt do a whole lot perfect, thats for sure. a lot of the patches sound very similar, but thats ok. theres a bit of variation. it all sounds like a PSA-1, which isnt a bad thing. i like the way it sounds. some may call me crazy LOL
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                    what recordings, btw? im not a big Stryper fan but i wanna hear some of that stuff. ill have to search out a couple songs to listen to.

i agree, some of the Mesa patches are pretty cool...i really like the Van Halen marshall patch

www.stryper.com and http://www.michaelsweet.com/ I don't know what specifically on what songs it's used. The last I talked to him, he uses the PSA-1 exclusively in the studio.
                    The PSA-1 is one of the best if not the best preamp out there for the money. Try patch 24. It's the Rectifier tone. You can get some cool tones by creating new patches. I've made some insane gain Marshall patches. VanHalen on steriods!
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                      www.stryper.com and http://www.michaelsweet.com/ I don't know what specifically on what songs it's used. The last I talked to him, he uses the PSA-1 exclusively in the studio.
                      The PSA-1 is one of the best if not the best preamp out there for the money. Try patch 24. It's the Rectifier tone. You can get some cool tones by creating new patches. I've made some insane gain Marshall patches. VanHalen on steriods!
                      ive mostly been using the Van Halen and Recto patches, and another Mesa patch...i think 28 (too much gain). i hooked my Rockmaster back up and then went back to the PSA-1 LOL i dunno what it is about the PSA...it can get very harsh and nasty, and i guess i like that kinda tone. the Van Halen patch is great for Children of Bodom/Sinergy tones

i did check out a couple of Stryper tunes (the newer stuff, from 2005) and i could DEFINITELY tell there was PSA-1 on those tracks. does he use any sort of cab simulator, or does he go direct to the board? ive been going through my Pod XT Live and using cab sims on it...did a few jams on Harmony Central using the PSA and they came out pretty nice...actually sounds better than most of the Pod models

i forgot to mention...you said "best preamp for the money" well i got mine for 125 bucks...talk about a STEAL!
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Yeah, I never used any stock patches and made my own totally. Never thought they were that great. But after tweaking i found a lot of great stuff in there for sure.

At $125, I'd buy one today. Great deal.

Comment

Yeah, I never used any stock patches and made my own totally. Never thought they were that great. But after tweaking i found a lot of great stuff in there for sure.

At $125, I'd buy one today. Great deal.
                          yea...i was surprised to find one. it pays to have friends who work for guys with studios who have too much stuff
                          Available Now!
                          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                          X