No announcement yet.

There must be a rock star checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats it! After hearing this stuff, I'm bypassing the little leagues and going straight to Rock Star

Rudy
    www.wickedrocks.com
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Great reading, thanks fellow kookbats.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

nothing rock star-ish about those lists.... who wants to be a roadie anyway? I know many dudes who have been roadies.... pretty tough life on the road, even for the band members. The only way it would be somewhat cool is if you are a real rockstar and in a band like the Stones.... you have your own jet, endless parties, fucking unbeliveable amount of hotties... and well doing whatever you want on your free time.... drink a lot or do shitloads of drugs or read and educate yourself or maybe trash hotel rooms and get into fights or be just completely numb the whole time... depends of the person. Even that way it's not an easy way to live as I've heard.

Tours for roadies in Europe are pretty horrible I imagine. The only tours I suggest doing are sex trips, now that shit is fun and you don't have to spend a lot of money...... unless you want to spend a lot of cash.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Talking to people who I've happend to meet who are in the music industry, they all say touring is fucking hard work, it's not all shits and giggles.

But I think it's got to be better than thes 9 to 5 treadmill I'm stuck on. Funnily they never want to swap.
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

shobet,
            I've been asked that question many times. Is it better than a regular job. Depends on your life. I'm not a touring tech by trade. I kinda stumbled into it rather late in life. I'm a local news director. I call and punch shows for a living. So its a typical 9-5. Was, or is, touring better? Good question...

Some of the good things. There is hardly any rules other than "do your job". If doing your job means cracking a beer hours before work or blowing a J or whatever, thats cool as long as you can do your job. The hours and venues vary so its somewhat different every day. You get to see the world, or some of it. That's not shabby. Some very cool guys out on the road. So you get to see old friends from time to time. Scoring chicks, if that's your thing. Roadies get pussy too...

Some of the bad things. You get no privacy at all. You'd better like the guys your touring with. No showers. Sometimes sharing hotel rooms with someone you wouldn't hang out with on a good day. Attitudes. Not being home. Not really being able to modify your schedule to your liking. Being at the beck and call of someone at all hours of the day. Being a whipping post when the artist isn't feeling good. That's a part of the job too. Who are they gonna yell at? A fan? Hardly. So that's your job too. Hardly feeling connected with the outside world...

So it's a give and take. One thing that got me off the road and may possibly keep me off the road is my 2 sons. I have a 5 and a 7 year old. It killed me every day. I missed my youngests 5th birthday. Tell me that didn't kill. It did. And it was the deciding factor that brought me back home and back to the television racket...

But I've had a few offers and sometimes they are hard to pass on. I wish I would have stumbled into this job when I was in my early 20's. But then again, I'd be dead...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
              shobet,

But I've had a few offers and sometimes they are hard to pass on. I wish I would have stumbled into this job when I was in my early 20's. But then again, I'd be dead...
              Funny - I have said the same thing. Wish i had these opportunities in my 20's when i was single and before i had been on the corporate teat working towards a pension for the last 15yrs. But, being younger then, I'm sure i would've made some real stupid decisions, and be hooked on something, have caught something, or be dead.
              It is NOT nearly as glamorous of a life as i would have thought, even for the band. Imagine being away from your family for months at a time. Not seeing your friends, family, pets...and owing recoupable costs to a record label. Cured me from wanting my band to "make it", but it is cool to do a few weeks on the road every year just top keep the feet wet...

Comment

Kind of a nosey quiestion, but can the crew guys in here say who they've worked for? I have a partner who was in the biz and is always looking for amusing stories about her friends so she can take the piss out of them (not that she's not witnessed a lot of depraved behaviour, she still shudders at the very mention of "The Blindman's Ball" in Germany).

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Wayniac,
                  I hear ya. Same story here...

It's not glamorous but there is something about it thats pretty damn cool. I'm not sure what it is. Being in the "know" backstage and making it happen. Having kids ask you for guitar picks. The thought that this is what I've wanted to do since I first listened to KISS Alive in 1976. Getting to hang out all day with sweet guitars and gear. Just being a part of a cool rock and roll show. I dont' know. There's something there that keep people doing it. I felt it to, hence my desire to go out again, but I'm not sure what "it" is...

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                    Kind of a nosey quiestion, but can the crew guys in here say who they've worked for? I have a partner who was in the biz and is always looking for amusing stories about her friends so she can take the piss out of them (not that she's not witnessed a lot of depraved behaviour, she still shudders at the very mention of "The Blindman's Ball" in Germany).
                    I worked for Jim Root of Slipknot/ Stone Sour. I basically filled in for a year when his main tech was busy with another gig. So if any of you saw Stone Sour last year. I was probably somewhere backstage cleaning guitars...

I also was the studio tech for their latest CD. Now Studio Tech, I could do that for the rest of my life. But then I would have to move to LA. Not down with that...

I must also ad that I had a great time with that band. The classiest bunch of guys out there. Most of the bad shit I witnessed was other bands and other crews. We were pretty normal...
                    Last edited by Bengal; 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I also kinda half assed did Blood Simple on the same European Tour. They didn't have the funds for a tech so I helped them out as much as I could. Those are some great guys too...

Comment

I have worked every Progpower except #1 - so I have worked with all the bands that have played there - Pagans Mind, Symphony X, Kamelot, Evergrey, Tad Morose, Superior, Freak Kitchen, Brainstorm, etc. Also worked with Chris Caffery, Al Pitrelli, Jon Oliva, Ripper Owens, Tad Morose, Evergrey, Cindy Lauper, Georgia Satellites, Alex Skolnick Trio.
                        Have had to pass up additional tours with Evergrey, Kings X, Lynch Mob, Kreator, Kamelot, Slayer, Bx3, WASP....

Comment

Cool list of bands you've got there. I'd heard it can be a right slog on a big tour, especially when it's festival season and you're all over the planet in a matter of weeks. I have to say I think I'd still prefer it to this 9 to 5 lark sitting in front of a computer at a desk, shouting "WORK YOU FUCKING PIECE OF WINDOWS SHITE!".

@bengal, my other half says the slipknot guys are not bad looking behind the masks, considering they are from Iowa. She's got a potty mouth and I apologize for her behaviour. I shall go and beat her forthwith, I hope I survive!

Comment

shobet,
                            Alice Cooper put it the best. After he met the dudes in Slipknot he said something like they don't look like a metal band. They look like they should be working at The Gap. Classic...

As for being good looking? I'll let your other half decide that one...

Comment

That's why the 3-5 week runs I do are nice - enough to get you out of the routine, but not too long!

Funny thing - I work for defense contractor and we have to wear badges all day. I am always Happy to get away from a job that makes me wear a damn badge so I can access places in the plant... touring would be SOOO much better, right?
                              Then the reality hits me...on tour, I have to wear and all access pass... WTF! l

Comment

Here's one of my favorite pics taken by the drum tech during a gig. Me, hard at work, peering through a guitar boat at the stage, in Hultsfred, Sweden...

Comment

Working...
                                X