Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

anyone heard/like these guys?

rock power trio out of San Francisco a few years back, now on their 4th record. I've seen them twice, great band, great show, just pure straight up rock, but some of the songs have a dirge-like quality that I really enjoy (I've always liked dirge-like songs, like Kashmir for example). they do acoustic stuff also, a wide variety of styles.

the bass player uses lots of distortion and plays up the neck quite a bit, it's interesting how he compensates very well for the lack of a second guitar. guitar player is very inventive and uses lots of tones, effects and such.

they write great songs. this one below is off their second record.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mNJrP7-Ks...related&search=
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

fuckin' love them.

whatever happened to my rock n' roll, indeed!!!!!

they also remind me a little bit of the jesus and mary chain.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

my brother digs them, but he said when he saw them live they were so pretentious to the point that the show wasnt even entertaining.
      www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Originally posted by guitar08man View Post
        my brother digs them, but he said when he saw them live they were so pretentious to the point that the show wasnt even entertaining.
        hmm, how so?
        their 3rd cd Howl was kinda quirky and different, like mixing rock with country and gospel and mellower stuff, not my thing, and I know they did a bunch of odd selections on their last tour in early 2006 from that cd. that might be what he meant. they did that cd that way just to push the envelope and not be like everyone else.

anyway, their other 3 cd's are kickass, and I never got the vibe of pretentious at their shows other than how any rock musician with some success gets a little bit more high on their horse, I guess.

Sully, right on brother. you got the clue.

Comment

i've only heard the first two discs, i'll have to check the rest out.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            i've only heard the first two discs, i'll have to check the rest out.

sully
            actually I jumped the gun there a bit, their 4th cd, Baby 81, comes out May 5 or thereabouts, but I was able to get a leaked copy. it's very good and very much like their first two cd's, but you can tell they've matured as musicians on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
              hmm, how so?
              their 3rd cd Howl was kinda quirky and different, like mixing rock with country and gospel and mellower stuff, not my thing, and I know they did a bunch of odd selections on their last tour in early 2006 from that cd. that might be what he meant. they did that cd that way just to push the envelope and not be like everyone else.

anyway, their other 3 cd's are kickass, and I never got the vibe of pretentious at their shows other than how any rock musician with some success gets a little bit more high on their horse, I guess.

Sully, right on brother. you got the clue.
              im not really sure, he didnt seem to want to talk about it much. I think it was along the lines of that they were way more into themselves, than into putting on a good entertaining show?

i dunno, ive never really listened to them, so i cant pass judgement.
              www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

I really liked them up until that country/mellow thing. I like that style of music, they just don't do it well. B.R.M.C is a killer disc.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim, the new cd coming out is like the first two. raw rock and roll with a couple slower ones thrown in.

kicks aaaaassssss.

Comment

Working...
                  X