Megadeth - United Abominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
    I have to completely disagree with you. I've seen EVERY mega line-up multipal times....yes even Jeff Young. Glen Drover is the real deal. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Don't get me wrong but I think some things are not about opinions.

Marty says his goal in playing guitar is to reach a point where he simulates the human voice, like talking and singing. When I listen to Mary solos (and for instance Criss Oliva, Alex Skolnick solos) I hear the solo is "telling" something actually. Like it has sentences or so. Glen is like a baby, who can't build sentences or uses 2 words per sentence. Today while I was wathcing "That one night live in Buenos Aires" DVD I was thinking about the things I posted & read in this thread at the beginning after a while I concentrated on the video (it's incredible imo ) and forgot about Glen and his playing. At a point Glen was playing a solo of Pitrelli (from the song Return to Hangar) which was like a sentence and he changed and watered it down to 2 words I immediately thought of the things I posted again..

If your taste in guitar is having weak phrases or if the phrases don't matter for you at all then I can't say anything more, at that point it's about taste and opinions completely but I guess you don't think that way. Composingwise Glen is clearly weaker than any other Megadeth guitarist from my point of view.

I always thought he plays great, really clean with lots of definition. His tone is incredible, probably the tone I'd like to have but those are not the things I care for more than feel & composing. He also has a really strong feel of his own but not in a good way

When you get the album listen to the solos in the songs United Abominations and Burnt Ice. Those are the best solos of Glen in the album composing and phrasingwise imo (that's why I'm giving them as examples) both of which start great and then even those get lost at a point. His note choices make the solo stand at a point and not improve/grow up. There are also lots of meaningless, useless solos with zero phrasing by Glen one of which is the first solo to Never Walk Alone, it somehow disgusts me

After you listen to those, listen to the Lucretia solo by Marty. The solo always leads you somewhere, it improves, tells something and then tells "the next" thing and you can't guees what it's going to. Starts from somewhere and goes elsewhere, melodically and logically passing from some stages.. I can't find this on Glen solos. There are lots of guitarists who can do this great and Megadeth needs one of them Marty was/is the best at that imo, Pitrelli wasn't as good as Marty for me but he was great anyway and could do the job! But I can't stand Glen
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Sounds like NextInLine has about the right idea of what I was trying to say, but I didn't get quite as descriptive....Kind of hard to put it into words that convey the feeling I get listening to the different players. It seems to me almost like Glen gets lost in the solo or something and then just throws out his standard licks until time to join the rhythm again. Marty sometimes seemed like he was trying to maintain control but might lose it at any moment and just start blazing- I get that feel from a lot of George Lynch's work, too- the barely contained urgent sound. Does that make any sense to anyone but me?? LOL

Comment

I should also have mentioned that "United (Abomi)nations" is as stupid an album title as I ve seen in a long time. Like Spinal Tap bad. No... Spinal Tap had better titles. This is in a special class all it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Lizardman View Post
          It seems to me almost like Glen gets lost in the solo or something and then just throws out his standard licks until time to join the rhythm again.
          Glen has 4-5 triplet combinations, he throws them fucking everywhere. All of them sound silly to me. He also has a silly gesture he makes while playing those triplets live, like he's doing something great.

Originally posted by markb View Post
          I should also have mentioned that "United (Abomi)nations" is as stupid an album title as I ve seen in a long time. Like Spinal Tap bad. No... Spinal Tap had better titles. This is in a special class all it's own.
          Wait until you see the album cover Dave couldn't have surprised me more with this album. The title, the album cover, some of the songs etc. etc. suck bad and I can't believe he let those happen.. I'm afraid the next album could be worse. So I hope he goes solo
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

I haven't really heard Glen play yet. I'm goingto the Megadeth show tomorrow in Minneapolis. In a live situation I'm looking for great crowd interaction & great tone & just raw energy. I hope Glen does some dead on solos to the old stuff, as I think it would sound weird to add lib on those. But by and large I'm there to see Dave & hear the megadeth tunes.

I'm sure I will pickup UA when it hits the stores or possibly @ the show if they are selling it. Nobody has compared it to RISK, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
              Today while I was wathcing "That one night live in Buenos Aires" DVD I was thinking about the things I posted & read in this thread at the beginning after a while I concentrated on the video (it's incredible imo ) and forgot about Glen and his playing.
              Although it is a great DVD, Glen's playing is better than Dave's voice! Dave sounds too nasally and thin. Not that he's ever had the greatest voice, but it's worse than usual.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Classic Dave- Sounds like Dave- Smells like Dave....It can only be Dave....
                Dave has his own sound, for sure- If I was playing that shit and singing too it would probably come out much different....like a giant wad of excrement....LOL

Considering Megadeth is basically DAVE, isn't it almost like he's solo already? Or might he hire a vocalist and concentrate more on the tunes and playing guitar? Hmmmm....Or would he go Alex Skolnick?? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Although it is a great DVD, Glen's playing is better than Dave's voice! Dave sounds too nasally and thin. Not that he's ever had the greatest voice, but it's worse than usual.
                  To be honest I thought that he was usual than better. I think he's simply horrible most of the time, he sings decent some of the songs on this DVD
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Glen Drover is a great player...there is some very good players on this board..

But he'd smoke us..

This is WHY he's in Megadeth/Eidolon/King Diamond/and several guest spots on some undergeround heavy hitters thru the years and has the upmost respect of his fellow shredder and bud.. Joe Stump.

One of few dudes that can milk the best "metal" tones from a Marshall Valestate 8200.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've seen Glen in several situations. King Diamond, Eidolon, and then jamming here in my basement. Dude is a very talented guy and a great player. Definitely no Marty, but who is?

Seeing Glen do the King Diamond stuff verbatim, and seeing that he was doing it better than the guitarists that wrote the stuff ever did live was what interested me in that dude in the the first place. That was probably 10 years ago.

I'm glad to see him and Shawn get some recognition in that band.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                        I've seen Glen in several situations. King Diamond, Eidolon, and then jamming here in my basement. Dude is a very talented guy and a great player. Definitely no Marty, but who is?

Seeing Glen do the King Diamond stuff verbatim, and seeing that he was doing it better than the guitarists that wrote the stuff ever did live was what interested me in that dude in the the first place. That was probably 10 years ago.

I'm glad to see him and Shawn get some recognition in that band.
                        Das Rite!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                          Definitely no Marty, but who is?
                          Good point!
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Originally Posted by Cleveland Metal
                            Definitely no Marty, but who is?

Uh- Marty....Right?? Or was this a trick question?

Comment

Who Dat..

Comment

Well I went back to the used CD/DVD place on Saturday and picked up the live DVD. I've watched the whole thing once so far and really liked it. Good song selections and they were tight. I agree about Dave's voice sounding kinda thin and struggling to hit some notes (especially the first few songs). I'm not familiar with any of Glen's stuff, so this was my first time hearing him. I'm certainly not going to knock the guy - he's in Megadeth, had a great sound on the DVD, and plays the stuff well (yes, even Marty's). He just didn't "grab" me or stand out in any way.
                                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                                X