Where are the Rush fans??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the Rush fans??

New album out last week and no threads? I picked it up the day it came out and am on my second listen. I liked Vapor Trails a lot, from the first listen. This one seems like it might be more like a classic Rush album - takes a few listens to absorb it and get into it, then you love it. Time will tell, it's got the classic elements - instrumentals (3!), more acoustic guitar, and.......solos! Yes, Lifeson is playing some solos again! I'll post some more once I've listened to it a few more times and point out favorite songs, parts, etc.

Anyone else pick up the new album (Snakes and Arrows)?
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Yea, I need to give this one a good listen before the Aug 3 show.
    I hate going to a show and not knowing the tunes.

Comment

I heard a DJ introduce it as "wow, here's a Rush Album that doesn't suck". Hahaha....

I actually thought that the tune I heard was somewhat more listenable than they usually are, and I usually really don't like them. I'll guess that means Real Rush fans will probably hate it?

Comment

I'm a lifelong Rush fan, but Vapor Trails left me cold.

I'm hearing good things about this new cd though, will probably pick it up at some point.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I like the new disc. Much closer to their classic sound. Still nothing like Farewell to Kings, 2112, etc.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've been listening Snakes and Arrows on Rhapsody.

btw, Rhapsody kicks ass. I prefer it over iTunes or downloading mp3's. I get to listen to ANY new release (albeit from the majors) without having to go looking for it. E.g., the new Who album, I couldn't be bothered to go look for it or buy it on iTunes, but I was able to give it a listen. Most of the recommendations posted here on JCF, I can give it a go on Rhapsody as well.

Anyway, I'm going to give Snakes and Arrows a few more listens, but it's hard when there are so many live albums to listen to on Rhapsody (for me, live Rush is like heaven on earth).
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
              I'm a lifelong Rush fan, but Vapor Trails left me cold.

I'm hearing good things about this new cd though, will probably pick it up at some point.
              I didn't care for Vapor Trails all that much either (maybe I just need to listen to it more). I liked Counterparts and really loved Test For Echo. Guess I'll probably pick the new one up soon.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I didn't care for Vapor Trails all that much either (maybe I just need to listen to it more).
                ha, I thought the same thing until I listened to it again and literally could not get through it. and I liked Test for Echo a lot.

I have a much more visceral reaction to lame new stuff when the old stuff was really special, like Rush.

Comment

I like the new album and am looking forward to seeing these live, again. I think this will be number ten or something stupid for me. I have never been disappointed at a Rush show - even during the "chorus" years. lol

As Tim said, it's no Farewell To Kings but it is a good, strong album.
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I like Rush alot but I have not heard the new album. I have tickets to see them live in August. Looking forward to it!

Comment

I haven't heard it yet but I would like to. Rush is great

Comment

I have had the new album since the release day and have listened to it probably 100 times so far. It contains the absolute best material the guys have put out in the last decade easily, and I have loved all the albums of the last decade!

I will say here and now that Armor and Sword is the best song they have written in the last 20 years. By far my favorite of the disc. It's mixture of driving rythms, odd time signatures and laid back acoustic parts is really cool and is topped off by a great feedback solo. In fact Alex's use of the acoustic on the album has really had a good effect on his writing. The songs are more open and fun to listen to. Neil's lyrics have really come of age as well. His writing has matured alot.

Alex's instrumental "Hope" is another of the albums highlights. It is followed by my second favorite track from the disc "Faithless" which has a wonderful chorus "I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in beliefs, you can call me faithless. But I still cling to hope and I believe in love and that's faith enough for me."It also includes one of Alex's best melodic solo's... ever. Wow. The other 2 instrumentals are great as well.

When you listen to this album start to finish, it really comes alive. All the tracks are good, but taken together, they reach higher than any other Rush album in recent memory.

The album has some throwback sounds from the Permanant Waves era and mixes them with some of Vapor Trails driving rythms and Feedbacks acoustically driven sounds. It is easy to put the disc on, close your eyes and disappear into the music.

I would give this album an A+ in all aspects. Buy it if you ever dug Rush.

chuck
                        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

thanks Chuck, that sounds great. as a Rush fan I'm psyched from hearing your review.

and I loved the chorus years.

Comment

Wow! A lot of superlative reviews here - wish I could add to the chorus, but I'm underwhelmed by it.

A friend got it for me from bittorrent a couple weeks before release date, when it was leaked. I find it to be resoundingly OKAY - better than Vapor Trails, and that's about it. Meaning, to me, it's the second-worst Rush album I've heard. Still better than a lot of other bands' current efforts.

I'm still going to see them in June with my nephew. They always put on a great show.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I heard Snakes and Arrows. Its a really good song. Rush is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X