Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) talks gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) talks gear

With ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer and producer Jim Morris locked up at Morrisound studios in Tampa this week to mix the band's forthcoming album, "Framing Armageddon", IcedEarth.com checked in with Jon before he left for temporary exile in Florida to inquire about what gear he has and will be using for the upcoming string of new material to commence with the release of the single, "Overture of the Wicked" (due on June 4 in Europe and June 5 in the USA). Here is what Jon had to say:

"I play Gibson guitars, mainly Les Pauls but any Gibson Explorer, SG, 135, 335 will do. They all rule. I also used a guitar by David Thomas McNaught called 'Phoenix Rising' for almost all of my lead work on the new CDs; it's an incredible instrument and possibly the best made electric guitar I've ever played. I typically use Fender Stratocasters for clean parts in the studio but used my 'Red Baron' Gretsch on several clean parts this time around. I play Taylor acoustics exclusively, they are simply amazing guitars and among the best made.

"I have been using amplifiers custom made for me by Larry Grohmann for about 15 years now. That is and will always be my main amp because Larry developed it for my playing style and it is by far the best amp that I've ever played, and I've played A LOT of different amps! My Larry amps and Marshall cabinets have always been my main rig for touring and recording. I did however use several different amps on both parts of the 'Something Wicked' epic because I wanted different dynamics and shades of tone to tell the story. I used a great amp for all of my lead parts called a Splawn Quick Rod. I also really enjoy amps by Divided By 13, Orange, Engl, Roccaforte, Vox, Voodoo, VHT, Trainwreck and, of course, Marshall and Fender; all of which appear on the new CDs at some point or another.

"Another hugely important element is the choice of pickups for my guitars. Besides stock Gibson pups, which are often great just the way the are, I really love Jim Wagner pickups, especially the Goodwood set and the Bet set, but they all rock. I also really dig several sets that Tim Mills of Bare Knuckle Pickups has developed, namely the Black Dog and the Riff Raff being among my favorite but they're all great as well; it depends what you're looking for. Then, of course, I have a few Seymour Duncan pups in a few of my axes, I have an SG Supreme with a Dimebucker in it that is a smokin' combination.

"I've been using D'Addarrio strings for 20 years now. .13 - .56 is my gauge normally. I use 12's for my lead work and 11's on my Strats. On the bass tracks I recorded I used a Gene Simmons Punisher Bass, an Ibanez five-string and a Steve Harris signature series Fender Precision Bass. I ran them through an Ampeg SVT head and 8 x 10 cabinet in conjunction with a Marshall VBA 400 watt all tube head through a Marshall Jubilee series 4 x 10 cabinet. I also used a Fulltone Bass Drive pedal in front of the amps to kick the signal in the ass a bit, and it worked very well. For the songs Dennis recorded he used his Warwick bass through the same rig but tweaked slightly to complement his style.

"I bought a bitchin' Drum Workshop Black Satin Oil kit with black hardware for Brent to use for this recording. It will officially be the ICED EARTH recording kit; it sounds absolutely amazing. I would love to take it on tour but it will get trashed on the road and I just can't sacrifice it. We have a great Pearl kit that will be used on tour.

"I'm a gear head but not a gear whore. A gear whore is someone who uses their celebrity, no matter how insignificant it may be, to go to events like the NAMM show and con people/manufactures out of free stuff. I'm sure the name droppers and gear whores come from the same mold, and they show up in droves. These people are losers, don't be like them!!

"There are a few companies that I support deeply and have special arrangements with, but we only deal with companies that I believe in. I prefer my integrity over free crap, but that's just me. Call me a nut."

13 to 56! Wow, and Iced Earth is all tuned to Eb. I was kinda surprised by that. He does play the shit out of his guitars though - he's a really hard picker. His tone rules. The guitar tone on the last Demons And Wizards album is one of the best sounds ever.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Strange that he didn't mention his Bogner Uberschall. BillZBub apparently talked with Jon at a show, where he confessed that he liked his Uber more than his Larry.

Psssssh, 13s tuned to Eb on a 24.75" scale-length Les Paul... nothing developed my finger strength and calluses faster in my formative learning years than trying to play a 25.5" scale-length Yamaha acoustic guitar with high action and 13s tuned to standard!

Then again, Jon doesn't play many leads or need to bend strings very much from what I've seen of him.

Who else uses really heavy gauge strings without any/much downtuning? The only other person I can think of is Phil Collen (standard tuning and Eb).

Comment

Well Jon's 1776 motif Explorer is done at RS guitarworks I saw it today.Stunning to look at great Sarah Ray hand done paint work.RS did the clearcoat and set up WCR pickups 13-56s 1/2 step down with a wound G IIRC a 21 guage.I say he is a man's man to handle those guages.IMO who could do bends with that set up.
      The guitar sounds and looks killer.
      The paint work is a revolutionary era american flag hanging over the body..... pretty cool.
      Last edited by straycat; 05-18-2007, 12:10 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Listening to "Birth of the Wicked" on Iceberg radio now...Sounds pretty cool so far! Great pick attack on the rythm tracks
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Looking forward to hearing it. That Larry made some of the best rhythm sounds, no scratch that, THE best rhythm sound I've ever heard. Travel In Stygian anyone?

Good to see another heads up to McNaught, seeing all the testimonials from players who have one, they all amount to the same thing: "Best guitar I've ever held in my hands".
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Jon Schaffer is the undisputed king of triplet picking. End of story. And his tone rules beyond just about anyone alive today, and that's a fact. I've seen him live 5 times and he destroyed my head each and every time with his massive searing tone.

Comment

"Strange that he didn't mention his Bogner Uberschall. BillZBub apparently talked with Jon at a show, where he confessed that he liked his Uber more than his Larry."

well, according to bill, jon, when asked about the bogner, said that "there is no comparison"....no word about the bogner being the superior amp. seems like he tried to say that the larry destroys the bogner

Comment

Jon also forgot to mention that they toured with SLO's Marshall Cabs, and Roland Jazz Chorus 120's precariously sitting on top the SLO head!!

Actually, I believe Bill said that Jon liked the Uber more. Don't think Bill would mention it otherwise really

Dunno, I saw them with the Larrys in a VERY small place and thought they were pretty intense sounding amps myself.

Comment

The tone on most of the recordings really don't sound like Ubers to me. They have the same brutal crunch, but to my ears, the Uber is voiced darker than whatever he's using.

Comment

I teched for Jon in 01' for the tour that got called short due to 9/11, the Larry kills, incredible amp.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

hmmm that seemed like an old interview..

Yep, Jon stated "no comparison" when I asked of his Uber VS Larry...it sounded damn good the night I seen them.

He ran a BBE 422 with his Larry and switched to a Roland Jazz Chorus for his clean. He ran nothing with his Uber and used the clean channel as well..

I discovered my Uber hates the BBE 422.

I'm not too impressed with Larry myself, Chroming Rose also endorsed them around '98 and you can hear the similiarity in tone with Jon's...not bad.

Alot of Jon's tone is in his right hand, and studio magic doesn't hurt either...they always had a pretty good production that raised the bar for rythm tones at that time.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That SLO with the JC-120 on top was his lead players, on the Horror show tour, John had his Larry, and a JC-120.On the last tour I saw no Larry, just the Bogner.
                        Last edited by jacksonaxes; 05-23-2007, 05:20 PM.
                        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          Who else uses really heavy gauge strings without any/much downtuning? The only other person I can think of is Phil Collen (standard tuning and Eb).
                          Stevie Ray Vaughn used 13's on his fender strat. He does a lot of bends!! But the thing is, you can also use the whammy bar to help you when you do bends right?
                          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                            That SLO with the JC-120 on top was his lead players, on the Horror show tour, John had his Larry, and a JC-120.On the last tour I saw no Larry, just the Bogner.
                            Yes, Exactly..with Timmmmaaaaaah Owens.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X