Saw Lynch/Schenker this weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Lynch/Schenker this weekend...

Took a drive from Phoenix and Saw lynch/Schenker this weekend at Galaxey Theater in Costa Mesa California. I have to say, I went into Lynch with open ears as a few people around here had been Bashing Lynch, saying he has lost it recently.
    For the first few songs, I had to agree. He was sloppy, Missing notes, and just not the GL I remember. I wanted to leave.....
    Then about 1/3 of the way thru the set, somthing happened. He started enjoying himself. Getting into it. He started getting into the rockstar pose (legs spread wide) and He just started Ripping...... I was florred. How could he turn this trainwreck around??
    By the end of his set, I belived it was 1992 again....
    No one in Lynch's band could of been a day over 23, which itself was a little amusing.

Then Michael Schenker came out.
    All I can say is, He Still has it.

Anyway, I came out happy, as did most of the people there.....
    Now I gotta go Practice.:ROTF: :ROTF:
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

what was Schenker's appearance like? did he have the beard still?
    sunglasses?

did he look like shit (as he has in recent years)? or has he pulled his stuff together?
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

No beard, looked good. He seemed like he was pulling it together. When I left, he was in a Booth doing a Meet and great for a Loooong line of people. (It was 2 am at this point and I had been up over 24 hours.)
      I didnt Stay for that...:ROTF:
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

That is GREAT to hear. Schenker is supposed to be here on the 6th, and I can hardly wait.

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
          No beard, looked good. He seemed like he was pulling it together. When I left, he was in a Booth doing a Meet and great for a Loooong line of people. (It was 2 am at this point and I had been up over 24 hours.)
          I didnt Stay for that...:ROTF:
          I was supposed to go, but the idea of driving back at 2 or 3 am to San Diego wasn't that appealing to me. Besides, gonna see him tonight down here!
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

That's cool Todd, nice to hear that GL redemed himself that night..now you heard what I heard a couple years ago. I seen George play many times back in the day...and always came out smokin'!!

Schenker NEVER has a bad moment..that dude breathes and shits music..just like Uli.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hahaha
              for the first 20 minutes or so, All I could think was, "Damn, Horns was right......":ROTF: :ROTF:
              Last edited by toddstaples; 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                Hahaha
                for the first 20 minutes or so, All I could think was, "Damn, Horns was right......":ROTF: :ROTF:
                See, I don't lie...I was a big fan of his!!

Unfortunately, neither him or his band rocked the night I saw him..I had to bail, because it really bummed me out!

Good to hear that he can be on his game..when the mood strikes.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Schenker NEVER has a bad moment..that dude breathes and shits music..just like Uli.
                  sadly, that has not exactly been the case the last few years, he's been hammered drunk on stage a number of times and fucking up songs at a few shows. this occurred last year in Japan for sure and caused a big stink where half his band quit because of a show he could not finish.

I'm a lifelong MS fan, so I guess I gotta take the bad w/ the good. he's mostly ON though, as you noted.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                    I was supposed to go, but the idea of driving back at 2 or 3 am to San Diego wasn't that appealing to me. Besides, gonna see him tonight down here!
                    The 3 guys that I were supposed to go with all bailed, so ever-the-warrior, I say to myself "Screw them - I'm goin' solo".

4 hours later: I wake up on my couch after falling asleep watching some TV. Show was probably over by this time.

Being 40 sucks.
                    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                      sadly, that has not exactly been the case the last few years, he's been hammered drunk on stage a number of times and fucking up songs at a few shows. this occurred last year in Japan for sure and caused a big stink where half his band quit because of a show he could not finish.

I'm a lifelong MS fan, so I guess I gotta take the bad w/ the good. he's mostly ON though, as you noted.
                      yeah, I heard about his drinking..he looked hammered the last time I saw him, he also looked homeless ..but he played his ass off!

Comment

Schenker has had PLENTY of bad moments over the last decade. When I saw him perform at the same show with Lynch during NAMM he was okay, nothing special. There was no fire to his playing. A guy on another forum I visit said he just saw Schenker and he definitely wasn't playing his best.

I saw Schenker in 1984 and he tore it up. I saw him with UFO a few times in the 90s and he was on and off. The guy is a flat out looney tunes come to life. I have a friend who got the scoop on Schenker from some of his bandmates. He's freakin crazy.

Comment

Gotta love George Lynch!!!

I don't care when people knock the guy (most of them don't even have HALF the talent George does).

Actually, does anyone know if George has ever used the red Jackson in this picture (if you can tell what it is), or if it was just a prop for the photoshoot?

sigpic
                          And on the 8th day,
                          God kicked back with a beer,
                          And gave that Jackson one helluva beating!

Comment

Damn!! two of my all time favorite players.
                            Saw Lynch on a clinic about a month ago, he tore it up!! Cool guy to talk to as well.
                            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Those were mostly prop guitars in that pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X