About the song "The Final Countdown"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the song "The Final Countdown"

I guess you can call that one one of the biggest Hair Metal anthems to come from Europe (both the band and the continent) since Hairmetal never got as big across the Atlantic as it got in the USA.

That song with its epic keyboard played riff and John Norum's blistering solo. Has taken its place in classic rock's hall of fame as a powerful and glorius anthem of eighties hard rock.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

However, when it's performed by a couple of Fruitbats who apparently went on stage after practicing it only once, the song becomes something very weak and pityful.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Repost, baby!
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
      Repost, baby!
      Huh?

Comment

That video always has me cracking up!

The general consensus is that the drummer is the best member of that band.

I always envisioned this song covered very accurately by Stratovarius... it just sounds like a proto-Stratovarius song.

I have a love/hate relationship with that keyboard hook... I hate the way it sounds, and I personally don't think it meshes very well sonically with the rest of the flavor of the song, but there's no denying it's catchy and memorable as hell.

Comment

I pretty much hated that song then and hate it now. I wasn't a hair metal fan then at all, but I've grown to appreciate some of it over the years, especially after checking some stuff out that people here seem to like. I've tried to listen to the song with fresh ears & be objective. It has some excellent playing on it and the guy sings in key & all, but I still hate it. I kind of think of it like a Euro Eye of the Tiger.

Comment

I'm with dg. I like quite a bit of music from that period, but never liked that song.

although this band rocks! got any more clips from them?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

The band "Stone" did a killer spoof on the "Final Countdown" too - it was a riot!

Comment

While looking for the cover from Norther (which a great version of the song by the way), I found this:

www.facebook.com/commitdubs --- FOLLOW ME IF YOU'RE INTO DEEP, DARK FUTURISTIC BASS MUSIC! :)

Same crappy cover as posted, but set to video of COB .

Comment

look at all the COB fanboys losing their shit over there
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                    Huh?
                    What he means is "All this shit you're posting has already been posted - in some cases, multiple times"
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Final Countdown rules. I want to cover it with a band sometime

Comment

Ha! I love the first comment posted under the video.

"eh, they're still better than Evanescence "

Now that's funny stuff right there.
                        E = Fb

Comment

I'd love to hear their "Cherokee" encore

Comment

"...ridin' on the trail of tears" bant ban na now.

fuck yeah, Europe rules! one of the bests rock bands i've ever seen live. them and Helloween. played perfect, sounded perfect, both at a place that usually has bad sound.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              .... one of the bests rock bands i've ever seen live. them and Helloween. played perfect, sounded perfect, both at a place that usually has bad sound.
                              That wouldn't happen to be the Greensboro Coliseum, would it? The acoustics in the placed massively sucked.
                              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                              X