What's the deal with Paul Gilbert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with Paul Gilbert?

...and his affinity for headphones? I once saw a soilwork concert where the drummer was wearing headphones throughout the show and I thought that was odd. but most of the pics/videos I see of PG performing on stage, he's wearing headphones. What's he listening to? himself? Doesn't he believe in monitors?

...and during the g3
    Paul Gilbert, Scarified live at madison square garden, 04/11/2007, with G3 !!
    Sam

It's called tinnitus. He's trying to keep hold of what hearing he has left.

The drummer from Soilwork may just like the noise-cancelling properties of a headphone monitor.
    Last edited by Tekky; 07-13-2007, 01:27 AM.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
      It's called tinnitus. He's trying to keep hold of what hearing he has left.
      so true, i have ear plugs in my wallet all the time.
      no sig.....

Comment

Drummers also use headphones somtimes for a click in some songs live. Especially if there is keyboard / sample parts in the song...

Our old drummer used to do that when we played "Jump"..because we didn't have a keyboard player. It was recorded along with the click to keep us on track.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Paul is trying to hold on to what hearing he has left. Poor dude.

Comment

I saw that G3 tour. He also has this goofy coiled guitar cable. That and the headphones give him a kind of cool and unique "geeky rock god" vibe IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              I saw that G3 tour. He also has this goofy coiled guitar cable. That and the headphones give him a kind of cool and unique "geeky rock god" vibe IMHO.
              Plus he is such a great player!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarfreak View Post
                Plus he is such a great player!
                Oh no doubt! He ruled the stage that night. Petrucci was cowering behind his Mesas in fear.

Comment

He turns onto his good ear, when he tries to sleep in a noisy environment, so he doesn't hear a thing. He said that himself
                  I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

poor guy , that must really suck.
                    I saw the G3 here in Boston a few weeks back and Gilbert/Bouillett
                    were great, both had their "A" games on.
                    I don't think Petrucci was cowering behind his monitors though, he
                    was pretty killer that night too. His sound was huge 2 mark IV's with a 1 second delay between them (according to the gear geeks on the petrucci forum)
                    Last edited by kmanick; 07-13-2007, 12:27 PM.
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Oh no doubt! He ruled the stage that night. Petrucci was cowering behind his Mesas in fear.

*cough... somehow I highly doubt that...

Paul is great, but I think Petrucci fears no one showing him up on stage, and for good reason.
                      www.myspace.com/madeaband
                      www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

I saw G3 too and Paul Gilbert was WAYYYYYYYYYY better than Petrucci !!!!

Comment

I find these headphones better then stage monitors or even those little in ear headphones, but yes it does make you look like a geek. But the guy from Linkin Park has always used them too.

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          ...and his affinity for headphones? I once saw a soilwork concert where the drummer was wearing headphones throughout the show and I thought that was odd. but most of the pics/videos I see of PG performing on stage, he's wearing headphones. What's he listening to? himself? Doesn't he believe in monitors?

...and during the g3
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5-YC11yWC0

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                            poor guy , that must really suck.
                            I saw the G3 here in Boston a few weeks back and Gilbert/Bouillett
                            were great, both had their "A" games on.
                            I don't think Petrucci was cowering behind his monitors though, he
                            was pretty killer that night too. His sound was huge 2 mark IV's with a 1 second delay between them (according to the gear geeks on the petrucci forum)
                            More like 7ms.

Originally posted by Petrucci
                            I use a 7ms [delay] setting [between left and right speakers] on pretty much every sound. [Editor's note: This is a technique utilizing a delay setting whereby one-half of the signal (either the entire left or right channel) is delayed by a slight amount in order to create the illusion of depth and space between the speakers. The delay is set 100% wet with 0% feedback so that the entire signal for that channel is delayed by the set amount with no dry (non-delayed) signal or repeats present]. I don't really use that [2290] for echo. Instead, I use a TC Electronic M3000 unit for all of the delays.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Paul could wear a set of friggin bunny ears, for all I care. I'll still marvel in his playing. That's what's important.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X