No announcement yet.

What's the deal with Paul Gilbert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he posted a scan of his hearing test results on his website...he's a funny dude

Comment

Eric Johnson wore headphones on the first G3 tour as well.

Tinnitus sucks. I've had it for years now and I've gotten used to it for the most part but it still bugs me when its dead silent...like a constant buzz/hum that won't go away.

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert View Post
        *cough... somehow I highly doubt that...

Paul is great, but I think Petrucci fears no one showing him up on stage, and for good reason.
        When I saw G3 at the end of last year. Petrucci was blown away by Vai and Satch.

Comment

I know Paul wears them now, but I saw him in the Who cover project (with Gary Cherone, Billy Sheehan, and Mike Portnoy) a little while back and he didn't bother with them then. It may just be a 'night after night' thing with him.
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

That could be just Paul getting into "character". Every one of these that he's done with Portnoy, Paul gets into the "character" very well.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
              Tinnitus sucks. I've had it for years now and I've gotten used to it for the most part but it still bugs me when its dead silent...like a constant buzz/hum that won't go away.

Well, why don't you buy an ISP Decimator?
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

+1. I was diagnosed with it in my left ear last year. High pitched white noise for me. I can mostly just tune it out, but I've definitely noticed that it makes it harder for me to pick out a conversation with any background noise going on nearby. For instance, I sometimes have a really hard time understanding people when talking in a crowded bar. That's been the worst part for me.

Comment

I have it and it indeed sucks.
                  Yes, its when it gets dead silent I get annoyed and frustrated by it.
                  If I didn't have a fan running at nights sleeping would be very difficult.
                  A fan does help alot when sleeping. I don't let people whisper in my ears because of the tinnitus (high trebly frequencies/ringing noise) I have I couldn't make sense of it.
                  Tinnitus is no joke its serious stuff.

Comes from years of concert attendance, gigging, working loud machinery without protective ear plugs. It does catch up with you and does take its toll on the ears. Remember, ears once they go bad theres not a new set you can buy and have put in. Doesn't work like that.
                  Once the hearing nerves get damaged its gone and at that point hearing aids are the only option left. No surgeries yet to correct damaged nerves.
                  They can patch and correct holes in the ear drum and correct most other ear problems, but damaged ear nerves (how and where audio is received and determined inside the ear) no corrective surgery for it.
                  The damaged is permanent.

So always wear protective ear gear no matter how weird or goofy it may look. If having decent hearing when you get older is important to you then wear the protective ear plugs.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                    So always wear protective ear gear no matter how weird or goofy it may look. If having decent hearing when you get older is important to you then wear the protective ear plugs.
                    Amen to that! I always wear ear-plugs in concerts. Except for a Cannibal Corpse concert. Bad mistake!! :ROTF:
                    Sam

Comment

I have tinnitus & moderate hearing loss in one ear. The tinnitus doesn't bother me so much as I've adapted and basically tune it out now. The hearing loss is much more of a problem than the tinnitus.

Comment

I have objective tinnitus (which happens on its own, as well as me being able to produce it). I also had subjective tinnitus in my right ear for a couple of years, but that miraculously disappeared about a year ago. Sleeping was indeed a BITCH! Laying down on your pillow and hearing this wish wash of loud white noise was very ennervating. I usually put on some soft music to be able to tune it out while falling asleep.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post

:ROTF::ROTF:

Part of me won't go away
                            Everyday reminded how much I hate it
                            Weighted against the consequences
                            Can't live without it so it's senseless
                            Wanna cut it out of my soul
                            And just live with a gaping hole
                            Take control of my life
                            And wash out all the burnt taste
                            I made the problems in the first place
                            Hang my head low 'cause it's part of me
                            Ya hardly see right next to the heart of me
                            Heard of me the routine scar
                            New cuts cover where the old ones are
                            And now I'm sick of this
                            I can't stand the sandpaper thoughts that grate on my sanity
                            I rather not even be then the man that's staring in the mirror through me

Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I try to wear earplugs as much as I can when at shows or practicing. As far as Paul Gilbert goes, the man can wear what he wants, he's ridiculously talented!

Comment

i met the dude and he is my top spot guitar player/rock god/influence... ...

he has an unlimited sense of humour (you seen the skit he pulled off on a G3, when he and his band came out in kilts during petruccis Glasgow Kiss and danced along to the tune?)
                                his talent is imense and you see he plays with his heart and what's most important, he has so much fun on stage you HAVE to at least grin.
                                You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Working...
                                X