Scorpions / MSG at Hammersmith last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpions / MSG at Hammersmith last night

Went to see ze Skorpionz und MSG last night at Hammersmith, decent show overall, with some highs and definitely some lows...

MSG, very sadly, was just too painful to watch. Michael stumbled on stage and played quite terribly: some solos were kind of OK, a bit like running on autopilot for him, but there were many embarrassing moments, like when he sounded like he was just trying to learn the intro to Doctor Doctor, or when he got both the notes and tones wrong (the intro riff to Armed and Ready with the wah on??).

A pity, really, because to be honest I was more looking forward to see MSG than Scorpions...

...who, on the other hand, were in fine form. Klaus is a German machine, he gets all the high notes, he's always perfectly in tune, he kept that wonderful thick German accent and he still works the crowd as goofily as 25 years ago, very professional and very endearing.

Rudy and Mathias were also great and energetic; for some reason Mathias has always been underrated compared to Uli or Michael's obvious superior talent, but you've got to give credit to the guy's longevity and professionalism: he's got his own style, very fluid, his vibrato is always in tune (ask Kirk Hammett, that moron still can't wiggle a high note in tune after 20 years of trying!), his tone is enjoyable and his phrasing still tastier than 90% of the new crop of shred wannabes a la Trivium.

They do indulge in goofy mannerisms like using different guitars for each song, but overall the performance was good.

Uli Jon Roth came on stage and played many '70s classics, Pictured Life, In Trance, Fly To The Rainbow etc., to be fair he did outplay Mathias, but his spot kind of interrupted the momentum, too much soloing etc., whereas before and after, the songs sounded tighter and, well, more metal.

The bass player was recruited while he was trying a Squier bass at Guitar Center on a saturday afternoon, he played Hendrix and Enter Sandman during his solo spot, so may he rest in peace reminiscing the good ol' days in the Jay Turner internet forum.

The drummer was the most annoying human being in the multiverse, during his solo with the usual stop'n'go cliche routine, everytime he stopped, the audience would yell f$~k off! with perfect timing... In fairness, he can keep the beat though.

All in all, I'd say their best moments were a very good Holiday, still cheesy but not as ghey as Wind of Change or Still Loving You, and especially the Zoo, with its proto-Panteresque chug, and Dynamite, that was a sonic blast!

Yeah I was there too - the Scorpions rocked! Huge queue - went to the pub instead - saw the last bit of MSG & was initially disappointed that I'd missed them as they were the reason I went to the gig in the first place. Then I got into the room & saw/heard what Mr S was doing. Oh dear. I've never been a huge Scorps fan, and assumed that a lot of stuff would be too "ballady" for me - but even the ballads were heavy! The stuff from Blackout was my favourite - but Uli played great (his bandana didn't cover the male pattern baldness though......).
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

Geat Review..Yep, The Scorps hit it big as soon as Uli bailed. Comepletely different directions..Uli had his own agenda.

Sad to hear about Michael lately, he sounds like he needs help or just get his shit together. Mathias always wrote great rock anthems and melodies and always had a harder "Metal" tone..

Uli is my dude tho..I love that fucker...even with his receeding hairline..he only got better with age. Uli is my number one favorite player. I never been so blown away when I saw him about a year ago...wow.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Nice review surfreak, I am now even more pissed off I didn't go! I was going to go to Rock n Blues at weekend, but after shelling out for a new motorbike and with all the pissing rain decided to stay at home, skint but dry. Didn't even know they were playing Manchester and Hammersmith until yesterday afternoon, too late to go.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Didn't know about this myself either. Last time I saw them was at Hammersmith and I think it was still the Odeon then. I think Vixen were supporting back then, they were awesome. Scorpions were my favorite band until Wind of Change came out and that did it for me. The new album has a couple of good tracks on from what I've heard of it though.
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Why is changing guitars considered goofy?

Mathias is the shit. I've always dug that guy. Quite humble...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Kind of funny about the guitar switching...last time I saw the Scorps here in Arizona, Mathias used the same Gibson Explorer for the entire show. Maybe they have a few new toys to play with!

Comment

Although Uli and MS are both killer players, I think Mathias tops both of them.

Comment

I'll take Schenker's melodic feel and tone (when he's on) anyday.

Uli is the best Technical player of the three but more of a meedly, meedly, mee type player.

Mathias is absolutely rock solid but right down the middle of the road with his very safe tried & true formula playing.
                  Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                    Went to see ze Skorpionz und MSG last night at Hammersmith, decent show overall, with some highs and definitely some lows...

MSG, very sadly, was just too painful to watch. Michael stumbled on stage and played quite terribly: some solos were kind of OK, a bit like running on autopilot for him, but there were many embarrassing moments, like when he sounded like he was just trying to learn the intro to Doctor Doctor, or when he got both the notes and tones wrong (the intro riff to Armed and Ready with the wah on??).

A pity, really, because to be honest I was more looking forward to see MSG than Scorpions...

...who, on the other hand, were in fine form. Klaus is a German machine, he gets all the high notes, he's always perfectly in tune, he kept that wonderful thick German accent and he still works the crowd as goofily as 25 years ago, very professional and very endearing.

Rudy and Mathias were also great and energetic; for some reason Mathias has always been underrated compared to Uli or Michael's obvious superior talent, but you've got to give credit to the guy's longevity and professionalism: he's got his own style, very fluid, his vibrato is always in tune (ask Kirk Hammett, that moron still can't wiggle a high note in tune after 20 years of trying!), his tone is enjoyable and his phrasing still tastier than 90% of the new crop of shred wannabes a la Trivium.

They do indulge in goofy mannerisms like using different guitars for each song, but overall the performance was good.

Uli Jon Roth came on stage and played many '70s classics, Pictured Life, In Trance, Fly To The Rainbow etc., to be fair he did outplay Mathias, but his spot kind of interrupted the momentum, too much soloing etc., whereas before and after, the songs sounded tighter and, well, more metal.

The bass player was recruited while he was trying a Squier bass at Guitar Center on a saturday afternoon, he played Hendrix and Enter Sandman during his solo spot, so may he rest in peace reminiscing the good ol' days in the Jay Turner internet forum.

The drummer was the most annoying human being in the multiverse, during his solo with the usual stop'n'go cliche routine, everytime he stopped, the audience would yell f$~k off! with perfect timing... In fairness, he can keep the beat though.

All in all, I'd say their best moments were a very good Holiday, still cheesy but not as ghey as Wind of Change or Still Loving You, and especially the Zoo, with its proto-Panteresque chug, and Dynamite, that was a sonic blast!

You hit the nail on the head with that review . I was there too
                    Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      Mathias is the shit.
                      +1 Matthias has been one of my favorite players since I started playing. These are the guitars that Matthias and Rudolph play a lot now:
                      played by the Scorpions, Richie Sambora, Neil Schon, Stephen Stills,Ken Hensley, Carl Carlton and many more
                      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
                        Kind of funny about the guitar switching...last time I saw the Scorps here in Arizona, Mathias used the same Gibson Explorer for the entire show. Maybe they have a few new toys to play with!
                        Some of the last album was detuned, last time I saw them they swapped for the newer songs, presumable for the lower tunings. They even played once of the classics (Hurricane?) detuned - guess, like Rush, the singer struggles a bit as he gets older. Schenker swaps more, I guess to show off his Flying Vs - he had a lovely gold one last time.

Whatever, great band, seem them live loads of times inc supporting Priest a couple of years back, brilliant every time. Jabs in the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                          Although Uli and MS are both killer players, I think Mathias tops both of them.
                          I concur. He has the leads that make someone who never even touched a guitar play air guitar.

Comment

Went to both the Rock and Blues and Manchester. Michael Schenker's playing at both shows was probably the worst I've ever heard (worse than Ace Frehley on the Psycho Circus tour). Scorpions, even though not my usual cup of tea, were fucking amazing on both nights. Uli Roth ruined the momentum that the Scorps had built up in their set. I just don't get what it is about Uli's playing...bored to fucking tears listening and watching.

I felt so sorry for Michael Schenker; I saw him last year, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on every song, incredible melody, timing, vibrato, etc, etc. There wasn't a single trace of the unique talent he has at both the shows I've just been to, I felt bad for Schenker and I felt bad for his band.

Can't wait to see the Scorpions again...Coast To Coast, reminded me why I love guitar so much.

Comment

Sean you don't like the Ulinator ..Was that when he was playing to a tape or something..or with a band. A friend saw him open for Michael..but he was playing by himself to recorded music, and he did say it was weird and boring..

We jammed "coast tp coast" when that song was brand new ( my first band)..I played that song till blue in the face..I love that ditty!

"Another Piece of Meat " too..that's a fun song to play.

I NEVER seen Michael Scenker have a bad night..ever..until this thread..

As much as we loved the classic (uli) scorps we never played any songs, if we did we always stopped right at the solo. My old bud (VH trib) was good but not that good..he never caught his train or sailed to Charon!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X