No announcement yet.

Scorpions / MSG at Hammersmith last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Bill, his playing never did anything for me, much prefer Matthias Jabs. For me, it's like listening to a very bad mix of Alan Holdsworth and Jimi Hendrix. I couldn't pick out a single good thing in his playing, not technique, not melody/scales, nor tone...if I really want to be bored shitless and amazed at the same time, I'll listen to Yngwie, he's got that shit nailed...

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
      Sorry Bill, his playing never did anything for me, much prefer Matthias Jabs. For me, it's like listening to a very bad mix of Alan Holdsworth and Jimi Hendrix. I couldn't pick out a single good thing in his playing, not technique, not melody/scales, nor tone...if I really want to be bored shitless and amazed at the same time, I'll listen to Yngwie, he's got that shit nailed...
      Wow, that's cool, Matthias jabs is a solid, straight forward "RocK" riff generator..a better match with Rudolph...when he joined they hit the radio, never with Uli.

Uli had his only agenda including singing horribly..he wanted to be Jimi I think..which he can play. But I don't care when he covers that much.

I think I'm just "gay" for his playing..I just connect with it and follow every note like a pud..I can't play it , but I love it...

Sean, have you seen the trade offs between Uli and Mike in UFO, there' vids of them..do you like that at all..or nah.

You no luv the Uli.

He dresses funny.

Bill Z
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I like Uli, but I like Uli better with the Scorpions than I do his solo stuff.

Comment

Most great soloists need someone in their band that can write songs. It seems like most "Shredders" spend too much time honing their technique than worrying about writing good tunes.

I think solos have more of an impact when they're in a good song.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
            Most great soloists need someone in their band that can write songs. It seems like most "Shredders" spend too much time honing their technique than worrying about writing good tunes.

I think solos have more of an impact when they're in a good song.

+ a Billion..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I remember listening to Uli on 'Tokyo Tapes' and being floored by the phrasing. I also like 'Electric Sun' but some of the solo stuff I've seen of his falls short. When he tries to shred it's just not happening for me.

I also love Mathias' stuff...he was the perfect guy to step in for the Scorps back in (I think) '79.
              ------------------------------------------------
              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lester View Post
                I remember listening to Uli on 'Tokyo Tapes' and being floored by the phrasing. I also like 'Electric Sun' but some of the solo stuff I've seen of his falls short. When he tries to shred it's just not happening for me.

I also love Mathias' stuff...he was the perfect guy to step in for the Scorps back in (I think) '79.
                It's his writing, style and voice, that turn alot of people off.

There is songs on his solo stuff that KILLS anything he did with Ther Scorps. So many god-like solos..like "So many lives away"..on his debut Earthquake '78..one word.."Unbelievable".

His woman drew the cover art titled "Rising Force"..

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                  Very true! I can't find much worth listening to in the past 1995 MSG albums. Essenz is a great tune and there are couple of others but Michael's playing really stood out on great songs like on some UFO classics and 80s and early 90s MSG stuff.

I've seen Scorpions twice and the last time was 2 years ago and before that about 8 years ago. The first concert was killer and had the 80s vibe. The last show was a disappointment. I didn't like the setlist, sounds or the performance. But Mathias always does the right things for the songs. His overdubs and solos are just amazing. I think he is very underrated as he is far more consistent than Uli or Michael. Michael devastates with his overall control. He can play super fast without losing the emotional quality (he never seems to wank ) and his vibrato is one of my all time favorites. So many people have been influenced by his early stuff.

It's not as easy to like Uli cause his approach is so unique but when it comes to soaring guitar lines he is a master and he also has influenced many players. I hear a lot of his ideas on Jason Becker's and Marty Friedmans solo stuff.

But talking about underrated guitarists I have to mention Wolf Hoffman. He has a similar approach as the Scorpions guitarists and he is very focused on melodies and has the balls to play a long solo without a single fast run. Then when he does a fast run it's so effective. And his sound is awesome!
                  My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RR0849 View Post
                    Very true! I can't find much worth listening to in the past 1995 MSG albums. Essenz is a great tune and there are couple of others but Michael's playing really stood out on great songs like on some UFO classics and 80s and early 90s MSG stuff.

I've seen Scorpions twice and the last time was 2 years ago and before that about 8 years ago. The first concert was killer and had the 80s vibe. The last show was a disappointment. I didn't like the setlist, sounds or the performance. But Mathias always does the right things for the songs. His overdubs and solos are just amazing. I think he is very underrated as he is far more consistent than Uli or Michael. Michael devastates with his overall control. He can play super fast without losing the emotional quality (he never seems to wank ) and his vibrato is one of my all time favorites. So many people have been influenced by his early stuff.

It's not as easy to like Uli cause his approach is so unique but when it comes to soaring guitar lines he is a master and he also has influenced many players. I hear a lot of his ideas on Jason Becker's and Marty Friedmans solo stuff.

But talking about underrated guitarists I have to mention Wolf Hoffman. He has a similar approach as the Scorpions guitarists and he is very focused on melodies and has the balls to play a long solo without a single fast run. Then when he does a fast run it's so effective. And his sound is awesome!
                    Absolutely, Very true man, Uli would never write a song like Rock you like a Hurricane, No one like you, Blaclout..those are straight forward Rock anthems..Uli has his own agenda..I dig both , they have their place in my heart!

Uli is the man for phrasing, fluid, technical playing with so much feel,..but you're prolly not going to be headbangin' to his shit...that's not really his gig...I hear so much of him in other players, especially Marty.

Michael is kinda between both Jabs and Roth..he's technical with feeling but can write a straight forward Rock tune...and own it!

Hoffman is another great example of a mix of both worlds, but more "metal" than Schenker.

Comment

I think the tone Uli wrangled out a Strat, Marshall, wah and fuzz was incredible. He actually wrote or co-wrote some cool songs in the Scorps, but some of them he did the singing, and he totally blows as a singer. Bob Dylan with a German accent does not get the job done for me. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by LexLuthier View Post
                        I think the tone Uli wrangled out a Strat, Marshall, wah and fuzz was incredible. He actually wrote or co-wrote some cool songs in the Scorps, but some of them he did the singing, and he totally blows as a singer. Bob Dylan with a German accent does not get the job done for me. LOL
                        Hahahhaaaaaa yeah man he does sound like that on vocals. I thought it worked for 'Electric Sun' though.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                        X