Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with "replacements" in a band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
    Depends on where you are looking at it from. If you are 18 years old right now, Robert Trujillo (sp?) IS the bassist in Metallica, for me who was 16 when Puppets came out, Jason Newsted was "the replacement", and always was, fine player though he is. This gurning idiot will always be the bass player from Suicidal Tendencies, can't wait for him to stop depping and go back to his "proper" band.

If you only heard the Mk2 (or Mk3) lineups of Deep Purple, Maiden, Sabbath, Van Halen etc, you wouldn't think they were the same bands, and their output is strong enough to stand alone. When you have grown up with a band, watched their internal politics, then you become biassed and yearn for the good old days, even if those days were actually quite shit! Releasing a timeless classic LP always helps "replacements" become accepted.
    All good points, but Robert is twice the Player that Newsted ever thought of being imo. Doesnt matter anyway... Metallica is a shell of
    its former self!

Comment

KISS is now just Gene and Paul with whomever playing along side and this is due to the other two original members screwing it up. Ace and Peter were so F'ed up and KISS was so big (it is a Corporation) that Paul and Gene then would just hire guys as needed. Eric Carr was eventually made an official member and the same with Bruce Kulick but Paul and Gene own KISS the Corporation and subsequently the band. I look at it this way if Ace and Peter didn't want to play along for whatever reason then that is their fault. Yes I am bias because KISS is my favorite band and I got caught up in the supposed fad that was KISS at age four or five back in the 70's. I say supposed fad because obviously they weren't a fad at all. Tommy Thayer had to teach Ace all the licks he had forgotten over the years for the reunion tour and Eric Singer had already been in the band before so they were obvious choices. Thayer had also been a KISS employee for ten years or better. They are just giving the fans what they want. Ironically my favorite years of KISS are those with Simmons, Stanley, Carr and Kulick. They were better musically then and those were the years I was really into them as a teenager and young adult. You have to think of these bands as corporations or maybe even like your favorite sports teams. Some of the players change. Anyway Eric singer is a better drummer than Peter Criss and Tommy Thayer is sober. No I'm not on Simmons payroll but maybe I should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
        All good points, but Robert is twice the Player that Newsted ever thought of being imo. Doesnt matter anyway... Metallica is a shell of
        its former self!
        +1000

Gene has said he can see a form of KISS touring without any original members. Just a bunch of hired hacks in the makeup and costumes. Something kinda wrong about that. That's saying that the image is more important than the musicians. I can't see it that way...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Bruce Dickenson is really just keeping the seat warm until Paul Di'Anno makes his triumphant return.

OK OK so some old skool dudes actually think that, but I'm just kidding there! Bruce, you are waaaaaay better! Them's just jokes! LOL

Comment

I personally think they should just stop while they don't look even older than they already do in the make up. They look old enough without it but it just seems to make all the wrinkles deeper and more prevelant. About all the other bands mentioned....We should all be glad that they are at least still around regardless of who the members are. If they would have quit or disbanded all together we'd be bitching about that too. At least we still have Megadeth with Mustaine and Iron Maiden without Blaze Bayley.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Bruce Dickenson is really just keeping the seat warm until Paul Di'Anno makes his triumphant return.

OK OK so some old skool dudes actually think that, but I'm just kidding there! Bruce, you are waaaaaay better! Them's just jokes! LOL
              I'm one of those guys that actually like Maiden better, during the Di'onno years, before all the bass-gallop lines, and friggin' epic songs. I thought Paul added a certain rawness, essential to the music. I always found Bruce's singing style to be too operatic and melodramatic.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'm with you on that. The first two albums have always been my favorite.
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

+1000 on Paul over Bruce. I think Bruce is a pretty cool guy, but his voice bugs me bad. You have to count Maiden Japan too. Paul is on three albums!
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I also LOVE the first 2 (3) Maiden albums. I also love Bruce too. I mean "Piece of Mind" and "Powerslave" are great albums. But the first and "Killers" are my 2 favorites...
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Some a bands pulls a spoip pa jop and they just geepogop a goo..

can't blame them..

Fuggums.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Some a bands pulls a spoip pa jop and they just geepogop a goo..

can't blame them..

Fuggums.
                        Bartender, I'll have what the Satanic Gentleman with a woman's ass in his mouth is having...LOL Bill
                        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                        X