Green Carnation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Carnation

I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with this band's 'Blessing in Disguise' and 'The quiet offspring' albums. Are there any bands that sound quite the same? They make very dark and heavy sounding music. Any tips on what gear the rhythm guitarist uses would also help. Sounds like a Mesa, but I'm no mesa expert either.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O2qVdn-Y04g

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7FmP_F5_mQQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aaHCH2xX8xE
    Last edited by emperor_black; 08-14-2007, 02:14 AM.
    Sam

Yeah, that is a great release, and the only one I have..It's hard to tell what gear that is.. honestly it could be Mesa..as well as Engl, 5150 ..my Bogner could definitely do that..and does.

Good production and nice heavy tone..I know that much..

They have a new dvd out now..found one on the bay for 10 bucks.
    Last edited by horns666; 08-14-2007, 02:46 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"Blessing in Disguise" was my introduction to GC and I think its a great CD... As for other "similar" bands, I couldn't name anyone that exactly matches their style. The closest I could name would be Anathema ("Judgement" is a great place to start) and Lacrimas Profundere ("Ave. End" and "Fall, I will Follow" are closest in style to GC, but my favorite of their albums is "Burning: A Wish"). Katatonia also has a similar mood. "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" is what introduced me to them.

Comment

I have "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" by them and I think it is ok but I get kind of bored with it

Comment

iced_earth: I've listened to a couple of Anathema's albums. Wasn't impressed as much as I am with GC. Maybe I should give them another listen. I've got Kata's Discouraged ones and Brave Murder day. you are right about them being similar to GC but in a different way. its mostly gloomy music. I dont think I remember how Lacrimas... sounds. I will listen to them.

thetroy: I have light of day and even though its a very famous GC album (I think mostly because its a one big 60+ min song or something) I dont like it at all. That female singer who wails and wails for almost 10 mins drives me crazy. Please dont dismiss GC after judging Light of day. Listen to Blessing in Disguise and you won't regret it.
          Sam

Comment

I think GC was heavily inluenced by Edge Of Sanity and other Dan Swano projects such as Nightingale..I don't hear the Anathema/Katatonia, references at all..I can hear the "progressive" elements, but total different genre altogether..I think bands like Anathema/Katatonia share more in common with progressive Doom bands such early Opeth, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, November Doom and even some latter day Amorphis and so on..

I think.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Light of Day, Day of Darkness is fantastic. It's so simple but so entrancing.
              Scott

Comment

If by entrancing you mean boring =P

I'll take a look at Blessing in Disguise

Comment

I dug the "Acoustic Verses" album alot. At least that album makes me think of early Opeth.

chuck
                  "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

I dig me some GC. 2 Seconds In Life is a great tune.
                    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Wow never heard of these guys , but sounds pretty good and all the reviews are good i will have to pick up a copy of these cds

Comment

I have their their last ones on Seans Of Mist..got too much shit to (I always remeber labels )..Very good band. Must give it aniother listen. I'm really inro the whole swedish thrash stuff..which I have hordes of..so I must give GC another spin..

I'm not that interested in the acoustic stuff I have Opeth for that shit..but they break into stuff like Demon!!!!, Demon of the faaaalllllllll"!

..and I love that!

Comment

I am not interested in their acoustic stuff either. They dont need to convince me that they can do a very good acoustic album.

They keep their songs simple. I am trying to learn Opeth's 'Black rose immortal' and man, I'm impressed! There are so many changes in the song that its hard to "memorize" any one full opeth song. Bill, when you said "Demon, Demon of the fall..." I can imagine the exact part you are talking about. but I can't "play" the whole song in my head. But with GC, I can play the whole song in my head. talk about being memorable.

Here's my fav song by GC, writings on the wall...
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=vkbiQ8_nzHg
                          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            I think GC was heavily inluenced by Edge Of Sanity and other Dan Swano projects such as Nightingale..I don't hear the Anathema/Katatonia, references at all..I can hear the "progressive" elements, but total different genre altogether..I think bands like Anathema/Katatonia share more in common with progressive Doom bands such early Opeth, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, November Doom and even some latter day Amorphis and so on..

I think.
                            I feel the main similarities are the overall mood... a certain depressed feeling that isn't quite goth metal or old school doom metal. Also, with "Blessing In Disguise" the song structures are a bit more traditional, sort of like alternative rock with much more of an edge. Recent Anathema/Katatonia just give me the same vibe as later GC... although I don't feel any of the bands that have been mentioned can be classified as easily as say a Euro-Power Metal band.

Comment

Working...
                            X