No announcement yet.

To ALL Prog Metal fans..a topic of interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Textures fist one on Listenable records..I really don't hear the Soilwork reference tho.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      My parents bought me a new stereo for Christmas... it's got dual cassette, 3 CD changer, AM/FM radio and a turntable. I've been listening to all of my old albums (I haven't thrown any out) and still buying new stuff once in awhile.
      I actually saw the new Symphony X on vinyl today, but I got the CD instead. What a strange CD case that is, with the stupid little flames coming out! They had it in the regular jewel case, too, but it was $1 more.

That is one pain in the ass, dumb cd case..I don't even want to go through the trouble to listen to it...so I burned a copy of it just so I don't have to fuck with that fuggin' thing.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        I have Textures fist one on Listenable records..I really don't hear the Soilwork reference tho.
        You should check out the new Textures one. I'm not sure but it might have a different singer, the production is way better too.
        The soilwork thing was in relation to Scar Symmetry.
        Anyone here into Edge of Sanity? Like Opeth but less nice I suppose I would call them. Crimson is a single 40+min song.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Yeah E..This genre really isn't your bag. The people who love this stuff, like me go ape nuts over it tho..you'd hate alot of the stuff I love..but I find musical value or inspiration in it. Then I apply that to my own writing which sound is far from the original source...or something like that!

I just love very technicle style that really pushed the enevlope om power, speed, aggression, ...well that does certainly identify with my personality.
          actually I love real progressive rock..... I don't want to sound like a puritists but a lot of shit that's labeled prog has nothing to do with progressive music.

my first fav. bands was Genesis.... I was 4 years old then... so prog is in my veins.

real prog was about the vibe, sounds and compositions not wankery wich alot of todays bands do.... wank wank wank

I allways ask what has power metal anything to do with prog?

as said before I love old school prog rock... but when it comes to prog metal... then it's mostly old school stuff too.... Queensryche, King's X etc.

I love Tool wich was like a breath of fresh air... because they actually sound progressive unlike power/wanky boys. Meshuggah is also very cool.
          I even find Cynic to be pretty listenable.

But bands like Spiral Architect are fucking horrible.... I laughed my ass off when I heard that shit... buncha hardcore metal guys trying to do "jazz" yet have no idea what jazz is and come up with the most unmusical arrangements and have no team-play whatsoever.... the bass player is one of the worst I've heard.... a lot of speed but no speed, dynamics, accuracy, groove... timing is way off and the band doesn't have no low end at all.... every friggin note has a different volume level and the tone is horrible.... I taught maybe I'm missing something... but then my bass player also taught that this dude and the whole bands suck dick.

Now Spastic Ink was kind cool because they actually know how to play.

But I'm kinda interested in upcoming Necrophagist album.... I saw some clips on youtube and they sounded pretty bad live.... but now they have Marco Minnemann on drums so that would be pretty interesting.... now he is officially by far the best drummer who plays death metal.... he is not a metal drummer... he is one of the best modern drummers in the world right now and has superhuman cordination skills.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            actually I love real progressive rock..... I don't want to sound like a puritists but a lot of shit that's labeled prog has nothing to do with progressive music.

my first fav. bands was Genesis.... I was 4 years old then... so prog is in my veins.

real prog was about the vibe, sounds and compositions not wankery wich alot of todays bands do.... wank wank wank

I allways ask what has power metal anything to do with prog?

as said before I love old school prog rock... but when it comes to prog metal... then it's mostly old school stuff too.... Queensryche, King's X etc.

I love Tool wich was like a breath of fresh air... because they actually sound progressive unlike power/wanky boys. Meshuggah is also very cool.
            I even find Cynic to be pretty listenable.

But bands like Spiral Architect are fucking horrible.... I laughed my ass off when I heard that shit... buncha hardcore metal guys trying to do "jazz" yet have no idea what jazz is and come up with the most unmusical arrangements and have no team-play whatsoever.... the bass player is one of the worst I've heard.... a lot of speed but no speed, dynamics, accuracy, groove... timing is way off and the band doesn't have no low end at all.... every friggin note has a different volume level and the tone is horrible.... I taught maybe I'm missing something... but then my bass player also taught that this dude and the whole bands suck dick.

Now Spastic Ink was kind cool because they actually know how to play.

But I'm kinda interested in upcoming Necrophagist album.... I saw some clips on youtube and they sounded pretty bad live.... but now they have Marco Minnemann on drums so that would be pretty interesting.... now he is officially by far the best drummer who plays death metal.... he is not a metal drummer... he is one of the best modern drummers in the world right now and has superhuman cordination skills.
            But I love that stuff E..but not as much as I love you!

Not alot of folks but a few freaks like me dig it..so let me get my freak on in my freaky tree...without you cutting down that tree with me in it..

In 1978 I wore a T-shirt that said "Disco Sucks"..But I would take Dosco over what invaded the pop world just 10 years later ..So in hindsight Disco didn't suck as much as I thought..plus it had great bass lines..I learned about 40 disco songs because I was going to join a full blown Disco cover band with Bill Morris of Warrant..but I was working and couldn't even make my own gigs with my vh trib at the time..so it never happened...but I was prepared to wear the afro wig and everything!:ROTF:

If you'd told me I was going to join a disco band in 1978 ..no fuggin' way I would believe you!!!

Comment

Disco is cool... the arrangements in a good disco song are a lot more complex than in prog....
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
                You should check out the new Textures one. I'm not sure but it might have a different singer, the production is way better too.
                The soilwork thing was in relation to Scar Symmetry.
                Anyone here into Edge of Sanity? Like Opeth but less nice I suppose I would call them. Crimson is a single 40+min song.
                Edge of Sanity with Dan Swano absolutely..Crimson II with Mike Wead..one of my favorite guitarist from Hexenhouse, Abstract Algebra, Momento Mori, King Diamond and Merciful Fate is playing on that..it's awesome!!

I will check out the new Textures..they remnded me a bit like Sonic Syndicate..who have a new one out too!

Comment

Bill, how can you as a bassplayer dislike Disco?! The tastiest, grooviest basslines ever were written in the 70's and they were ALL disco!
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

GOR read his whole post again

one of his main influences is Louis Johnson from The Broters Johnson band

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      GOR read his whole post again

one of his main influences is Louis Johnson from The Broters Johnson band

Sorry, I SHOULD read more than one line the next time.

I figured he liked TBJ, since I got to know them because Bill himself recommended them. And YES awesome basslines.
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Disco sucks

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                        Bill, how can you as a bassplayer dislike Disco?! The tastiest, grooviest basslines ever were written in the 70's and they were ALL disco!
                        Oh, man I remember that!, Graduated HS in '81...record burnings and everything.
                        You're right about the quality of the grooves. I used to think the same thing about the Barry Gordy motown stuff, till I tried to pick up the basslines.

Now I kind of like it to free my brain up.

Comment

in an attempt to get this thread back on track I've been digging through some tracks. Other bands to check out:

Alchemist
                          Communic
                          Prototype (mentioned these guys before but hey... )
                          Eyefear
                          Artension
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                          X