why I love Dokken and George Lynch's playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why I love Dokken and George Lynch's playing

this vid of Mick singing on the acoustic Tooth and Nail is just so kickass.

Lynch's solo is so much better than the original it's not even funny. so sublime and creative, yet over too soon. that they can pull this rearrangement off so well is proof of how much talent there was in that band.

Mick is still one of my all time fav drummers.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Mick never gets any credit for his talent.To me,it was hard for people to lump Dokken in as just "another" hair band.Sure,Don's vocals have to grow on you a bit,but look at the songs they wrote and the talent in the band.I will always be a fan................
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I agree that Lynch is a monster player (one of my favorites!). I could not help but notice that Don was not really even needed on stage for that, though. Mick, Jeff, and George can pull it off just fine without Don (or his ego).

Comment

Check out the new guitar player with the beatles on the cover, there is a great interview/lesson with george...there's some cool george videos on guitarplayertv.com as well

Comment

True Story-
          I saw Mick Brown on the Dating Game, and the cool part was that he won the date-lol I was cracking up , his hair wasn't too long and was dark but it was him, unless I hallucinated again, but I wasn't on those kind of narcotics when i saw the show. It was an old repeat in the late 80's from probably the late 70's.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Mick is the life of that party..I was on their bus for a while. My wife and I hung out with them backstage and sat on stage, by Jeff's Ampeg. Reb and his wife was there..very cool, but he's all biz. Don has a pretty dry personality..Jeff was super friendly..but Mick was the silly ass..so we got along great.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

George was a influence of mine back in the day. Saw him a couple times with Dokken and LM. Time was not kind to George, his playing skills have diminished.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Time was not kind to George, his playing skills have diminished.
                George's always been near the top of my list too.........Just curious though, if George's playing skills have indeed diminished, what would have caused it? Lack of interest? Lack of practice (do you even need to practice at his level)? Different musical taste and direction? Something physical? I've seen players much older than him that still kick ass
                Last edited by Mr Metal; 09-13-2007, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  George was a influence of mine back in the day. Saw him a couple times with Dokken and LM. Time was not kind to George, his playing skills have diminished.
                  I think you saw that one time on an off night.
                  I also know of one time he got all dehydrated (wasted? LOL) and had to be taken off stage by ambulance to a hospital. that was what, maybe a year ago?

he has had a few off nights I guess, but clearly is not playing poorly at every show, and I don't think it's accurate at all to suggest he's totally lost it like Schenker has recently.

Comment

Well, he had some bad habbits that took their toll. Yeesh that Schenker clip was unbelievable..no not quite bad as that ..or Britney Spears performance..

I feel the same way about George as I do with Ed. Man, I worshipped those fuckers..especially Ed..he was the reason I took up guitar.

Yeah, it was a really bad night..but you wouldn't think so by George's enthusiam..he looked in good spirits. Prior to that show I saw Reb Beach covering George's stuff and he was really "on"..so that really emphasized that contrast..

Like great singers some get better, stay the same or lose some fire..Frank Marino isn't what he used to be, he's still "good" but nowhere near the firey play that was..Uli is much better now than he ever was..he makes the old Uli sound lame. I see that Warren D is still doing great..so it varies.

But as far as I'm concerned they did their job, they were very extremely important inspired countless players. I don't care for anything George put out after Sacred Groove..before that, the dude was pure magic..so I listen to that stuff and that inspration is still there.

To me it's OK..because there is so many other players (new and old) to draw from..But Lynch played a vitol role in shaping the music I love..no matter what, you can't take that from him, as well as Ed. Randy has been gone for a LONG time..but his inspration lives on..that's how I see it...Chuck Shuldiner, Dime, Criss Oliva, and Jason Becker who's inspiration goes beyond his talents.

Comment

If you have "Erase the Slate", he (Mick) sings lead on a song on that cd as well - it kills...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        If you have "Erase the Slate", he (Mick) sings lead on a song on that cd as well - it kills...
                        Crazy Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend Timmy View Post
                          Mick never gets any credit for his talent.To me,it was hard for people to lump Dokken in as just "another" hair band.Sure,Don's vocals have to grow on you a bit,but look at the songs they wrote and the talent in the band.I will always be a fan................
                          You are truly correct! I had a chance to work with Mick and Don and a little with George and Jeff for a couple years during the making of Dysfunctional, mainly at Dons studio in Redondo. The stuff that did'nt make the album was fuckin awesome. Those cats oooze talent when they're in the studio and it's amazing how easily they can come up with a great arrangement and Mick is very involved in all aspects. Mick is what I consider to be the freight train of drummers, he's steady, and loves to get heavy! and funny as fuck. He does not get the recognition he deserves. Being on the inside you get to see a side of those guys not many get to see. I will also tell you, Jon Levin will keep up with Lynch any day of the week. He totally rips and is worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKEq...George%20Lynch

Lynch's solo is so much better than the original it's not even funny. so sublime and creative, yet over too soon. that they can pull this rearrangement off so well is proof of how much talent there was in that band.
                            I agree with you....George's solo is brilliant. Simple and effective....that combined with the perfect tone he got there is what tasty playing is all about. Perfect example less being is so much more sometimes.
                            Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM.
                            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

why I love Dokken and George Lynch's playing

I think that Dokken's music, in all respects, has stood the test of time.
                              The writing, playing, vocals- the complete package. No band is perfect, but all-in-all I think one of the strongest bands to come out of that era. I still enjoy their music, Don's singing and Lynch's playing as much as ever.
                              GM,
                              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                              X