No announcement yet.

why I love Dokken and George Lynch's playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dokken's best album is Erase The Slate with Reb Beach!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
      I own the 95 live DVD and I cannot believe how terrible Don's voice is during the performance. George had his moments, but after watching the video that was the first time that I thought he appeared kind of sloppy. Alot of people like that concert, but I am not one of them.
      Are you talking about the acoustic show that started the thread or the Live in Japan '95? I haven't seen the acoustic one but the Japan '95 is not good. I have it, Don's voice is horrible and George is off right from the beginning. I was so excited that it opened with Tooth And Nail, until I heard it
      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Yep that's the one. I wanted to cry by the second song. My kids were looking at me like "you have to be kidding". My oldest said " why are those guys playing Dokken songs?, they stink". Of course, just the fact my 15 year old could identify the artist and the songs should be worth at least one brownie point, LOL. His next comment was "George Lynch's arms are getting big", lol.
        Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I understand what people say about George. I saw him at a Sam Ash clinic recently. Admittedly he didnt shred like Wicked Sensation, but I dont think thats where is mind is. He doesnt have anything to prove anymore! Of you have read recent interviews, he has been more interested in tones, and reinventing his playing style. He does alot of fingerpicking a la Lindsey Buckingham, in his lead runs. I personally enjoyed it because it was very unpredictable, interesting phrasing. I'll tell you, its hard to keep ultra technique up when your really busy. I'm 35, and I have only in the last few years focused on technique. When I started I was more interested in writing songs. There are some things i could do at 18, that in no way I can do now! Point is, when I'm really busy and cant practice as much, I'll notice that I am bit slower or not as fine tuned.....when I playing a lot, and having a lot of practice time, I'm faster and tighter. Technique is definitley something that has to be maintained. And when I guy is 53 and has grand babies, I bet my focus would be toward more important stuff! I say kudos to that!

Comment

Originally posted by markb View Post
            I've seen this clip and others from this little jaunty in the studio before. His playing here is better than it is now, but even on this clip I find his tone is crappy, and the playing is nowhere near as sharp and focused as it used to be. I find this to be a pile of aimless noodling that never goes anywhere, with zero memorable licks or melodic content. To me this is a clip of George in the early stages of his downhill slide.
            I agree, Lynch can be sloppy and unfocused at times. I seem to remember an old article in Guitar World where the producer of Tooth and Nail (I think?) mentioned that he had to get Lynch to quit noodling and play something memorable.

In his defense, I think a lot of the greats are like this- they can play a bunch of crap, and then the stars line up and they do something brilliant. That inconistency seems to be a part of it with some players like Lynch, Beck, Page, etc. They are not as technically proficient as someone like Yngwie or Satriani, so it's more hit or miss. I think Lynch has actually talked about this in regards to his playing- he would like to have that consistency.
            But when he is good, he is something. I have heard some clips where he just kills. Here's an example- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMdeK8GNGCU

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
            GM,
            www.aftershok.com

Comment

i have been tripping on back for the attack all day, trying to nail the bitch of a lick after the first chorus of burning like a flame...man its so good

Comment

I think when he got all muscled out, he lost some of his slipperry lightning. I always dug his playing but much much more with Lynch Mob then Dokken, which is why I like De Martini a little more, he's a little bit catchier to me , as they can both wholeheartedly rip in their own right though.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

i think lynchy let his bluesier side come out more in lynch mob - warren's the same, he always had a bluesy/mixolydian feel to his playing, lynch tho - different league...i could never really here all the lynch stuff in demartini's playing, i always thought he set himself apart quite well

there's a good video lesson from george in this month's (oct) guitar player - u can watch it on the web...guitarplayertv.com i think...he plays some cool stuff and even talks about his country influences

Comment

.i could never really here all the lynch stuff in demartini's playing
                    Just listen to his vibrato...a direct Lynch rip off (and he admits it).

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                      Just listen to his vibrato...a direct Lynch rip off (and he admits it).
                      I think you can definitely hear George's influence on Warren the most on the first Ratt album. He often discussed checking out Lynch and learning from his style. Not derivative, but definitely there. Check out "In Your Direction."

After that, I think he moved away from it quite a bit and got really into the bluesier vibe.
                      GM,
                      www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                        I think you can definitely hear George's influence on Warren the most on the first Ratt album. He often discussed checking out Lynch and learning from his style. Not derivative, but definitely there. Check out "In Your Direction."

After that, I think he moved away from it quite a bit and got really into the bluesier vibe.
                        I always thought that the first two RATT albums had a lot of Lynch in 'em. It is great to hear that Warren acknowledges this..........While I love Warren's playing and he is one of my favorites, I think that George was a pioneer and invented a whole new style of playing, different from EVH or Yngwie, that has been much copied and admired since. I think he deserves a lot of credit for that.

Comment

I remember reading a Lynch interview where he said he told Warren something like don't get too far away from the style and tone he had on the earlier albums. Seems Warren could say the same thing to George these days.

Comment

I just got Back for the Attack on CD and man does it rock.
                            "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Bri View Post
                              I remember reading a Lynch interview where he said he told Warren something like don't get too far away from the style and tone he had on the earlier albums. Seems Warren could say the same thing to George these days.
                              i think george still has it, its just evolved quite a lot and become a lot more unique, he can still do it...i'm not saying its as good at the late 80s early 90s, but then u could say that about pretty much any artist thats been aound for 25 years!! noone ever beats their classic stuff because there's nowhere to go forwards aftewards, so lynch has done something very intelligent and sidestepped a little, taken a left turn, and i think thats good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                                I always thought that the first two RATT albums had a lot of Lynch in 'em. It is great to hear that Warren acknowledges this..........While I love Warren's playing and he is one of my favorites, I think that George was a pioneer and invented a whole new style of playing, different from EVH or Yngwie, that has been much copied and admired since. I think he deserves a lot of credit for that.
                                You're right, you can still hear it on "Invasion of Your Privacy," but not quite as much at the debut. But on Dancing Undercover, I think it was much subtler. But I think that George & Warren have always been friendly and mutual admirers and probably traded lots of ideas back and forth.

Same goes for Warren & Jake E. Lee.

And I agree, George was an extremely influential lead guitarist, and we can hear echoes of his playing in many people's styles. I love Warren as well, one of my favorites, but if pressed I don't think his impact was quite as big as Lynch's.
                                GM,
                                www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                                X