Zappa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zappa

I've never really checked out Zappa and I want to. What's a good album to start out with?

If you're looking to explore his music, try "Hot Rats", "One Size Fits All", "Apostrophe", "Zoot Allures" or "Them Or Us" (this last one has Steve Vai on guitar too).....If you want to start with one, start with "Zoot Allures". I must warn you though that none of these are mainstream at all.

If you just want to check out his guitar playing, try these two albums: "Guitar" and "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar".

Have Fun!

Comment

Personally,
      Apostrophe is the one.
      Zappa? Mainstream? That's zirconium and anti cosmic.

Comment

yeah, I'm not looking for mainstream . I was just wondering if there was a couple that really stand out as his best stuff. I guess that other thread about 7/8 time and Vai got me thinking about how I've never really checked Zappa out. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Comment

That was my thread.

Zappa is great!
          Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
          Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
          Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Sheik Yerbouti also kicks ass.

Comment

I love the mothers "white album"Live at the fillmore."Were're only in it for the money"is great too.If you want really off the wall for Zappa get "Ruben and the Jets"All are great but all are very different.Shut up and play your guitar is a must his playing is so astounding.
              I saw him live in 77-78 and he wore out the band they took a break and Frank asked the crowd what they wanted to hear someone yelled "Motzart or Bach"and he played classical music for about 15 min and stunned the crowd.
              He was playing a beat to hell cherry Gibson SG with P-90s and his tone was incredible.One of the best shows I ever went to.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Frank or Dweezil?

Comment

I am a real hardcore Zappa nut. ´saw him with Steve Vai in 1982.

If I had to pick albums:

Zappa - Live in New York

(easily my favorite, try to find the record, it sounds a lot better than the cd; cd has more songs on it; Start with the song Sofa - and play it loud !!!
                  an incredible band: basically Blues Brothers Horn section, Terry Bozzio, Patrick O´Hearn)

You can´t do that on stage anymore II (guitar solo in Montana)

You are what you is (his Pop Record)

Joes Garage II + III (very sophisticated high fidelity)

Freak out (his first record, I am proud owner of a stereo and a mono (!) version)

Yellow shark (classical orchestra)

Thing Fish (if you end up liking this, you´re on the hook)

man, I could write for hours about this ... I am a real deyed in the wool Zappa freak.

Comment

Working...
                  X