Clear All

• Iommi guitar?

I just got the Heaven and Hell CD [haven't even listened yet!]
    and there's a picture of Tony playing an SG-type I hadn't seen
    before. It's light-colored, with block inlays and a Gibby-style
    Custom headstock inlay, a.k.a. Turkish Cross. The script logo
    on the headstock doesn't appear to be Gibson. Anyone seen
    this guitar or know what it is?

He uses some Patrick Eggle made SG's as well as a JayDee SG from time to time. He also plays his Gibson Iommi's and at least one SG Custom in white. Those are the ones I know of.

chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Patrick Eggle? Haven't seen the heaven and hell, but Eggle made SGs for Tony for quite some time.

When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Jaydee Guitars makes a cool one... $3-4K

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
          He uses some Patrick Eggle made SG's as well as a JayDee SG from time to time. He also plays his Gibson Iommi's and at least one SG Custom in white. Those are the ones I know of.

chuck
          This one's def. not a Jay Dee, judging by the headstock.
          It looks a lot like a Gibby SG Custom, only 2 PUP, but the
          logo doesn't look right...

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
            I just got the Heaven and Hell CD [haven't even listened yet!]
            and there's a picture of Tony playing an SG-type I hadn't seen
            before. It's light-colored, with block inlays and a Gibby-style
            Custom headstock inlay, a.k.a. Turkish Cross. The script logo
            on the headstock doesn't appear to be Gibson. Anyone seen
            this guitar or know what it is?
            I have the DVD of that show (actually, I was there in person too). That's probably his white Gibson SG Custom with added Floyd Rose that he uses for "The Mob Rules" and "Voodoo" during the show. That's a recent-model guitar that I've never seen him use before.

BTW, he never plays the Eggle onstage, since he only briefly had a deal with them back in the '90s. On this most recent tour, he mostly used his old JayDee SG (nicknamed 'Old Boy') that he's had since the late '70s or so. I was a little surprised at that, since he is a Gibson endorser now, and he'd played mostly Gibson SGs on the reunion tours with Ozzy. Still, whenever he brought out the Old Boy on those tours, I was struck by how much better it sounded than the Gibsons.

The only other guitar he used on this last tour was the aforementioned SG w/Floyd for those two songs. I believe on the studio version of those songs and on the Mob Rules tour in '82 that he used a different JayDee that had a Kahler.
            Last edited by pro-fusion; 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

John Birch built him an SG or two...

Comment

Originally posted by bsteff666 View Post
                John Birch built him an SG or two...
                Yeah, but he hasn't used those since the '80s, as far as I know. The Hard Rock Cafe owns one of them, I believe. Those were all-maple brutes with a very biting tone, especially noticeable on the Technical Ecstacy, Never Say Die, and Born Again albums.

Comment

I was at their show too, and noticed that the white SG was definitely a Gibson SG Custom with the added floyd. Great show and great DVD too.
                  Guitars:
                  Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                  1988 Model 2,
                  Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                  RR3
                  Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                  1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                  2005 SG Special

Comment

I have no problem getting Tony Iommi's old school tone with my trusty 1998 SG Std. with the stock 490R/498T pickups. I thought of getting the Gibson Iommi pickups for it but I didn't feel like I needed to.

Comment

I think for his Dio-era and later tone, though, the Gibsons might not be quite 'smooth' enough or something. I can't remember if Old Boy is neckthrough, but I know that his John Birch guitars were, and I'm pretty sure (based on pictures) that at least one of his other JayDee guitars was.

Comment

That Jaydee SG looks amazing, but the headstock looks like a camel toe.
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                        X