Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis?
    How about King Crimson, absolutelyYes, ELP, even Kansas, and may I mention,
    Rush?...Genesis was always considered a keyboard band in my old haunting grounds, back in the late seventies. ABACAB was the ultimate statement of what they had been doing all along...ABBACRAP.

Comment

cool floyd LP, & Gilbert, i dont think he gonna be schooled by anyone, at least not this century

Comment

Genesis with Gabriel and Hackett was one of the best and most original bands ever. Paul Gilbert is a great guitarist but never created any music that can even be considered in the same league as early Genesis IMO.
        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Try this one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xW_7Yy...elated&search=
          http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

All of those links, sucked.

Who the hell waits in line and pays to see crap like that. There must be alot of people with absolutely nothing to do on a weekend night.

I would rather see Alvin and the Chipmunks.
            Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Originally posted by blindmuddy View Post
              Genesis with Gabriel and Hackett was one of the best and most original bands ever. Paul Gilbert is a great guitarist but never created any music that can even be considered in the same league as early Genesis IMO.
              +1000000000000000000000
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I hate when old school music lovers talk shit about todays prog metal and prog stuff. Amazing musicians have created amazing stuff in todays prog metal. For me , best of derk's solo albums, best of dream theatre and best of planet x , eric glass, etc is at least as good as the old prog stuff, and i personaly like it even more, i wont say it is better, because all the old school bands have done amazing stuff too , its more technical now days and matter of taste. But times have changed and some of todays prog metal bands have done some amazing stuff and it is nopt fair to take someting away from them.

AS far as the argument here, i think gilbert is more of a guitar hero but that guy from genesis has probably done more for the music with his band.

Comment

Originally posted by JC_Denton View Post
                  etc is at least as good as the old prog stuff
                  what exactly is at least as good as Dark Side Of The Moon?
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    Yngwie is a die-hard Hackett fan, Gilbert stoled a lot of shit from Yngwie
                    EVH learned some stuff from Hackett, Gilbert stoled a lot of shit from EVH too
                    Yngwie stole an a lot more from Ritchie Blackmore, so what's your point? Everyone has influences and everyone learns from those influences. That doesn't mean that it's impossible for one to grow as a player and have the ability to hold their own on stage with them.

Here, let's end this argument: All three of them are great guitar players in their own right.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Guys, look for a song called Dancing with a Moonlit Knight. Hackett plays some very cool solos on it. There is actually some sweep picked arpeggio stuff on there... I was kinda shocked. The rest of the song sucked though! I can't listen to Crimson or early Genesis for more than 30 seconds. Way too out there for me. Hackett is a good player though. Some of the GTR stuff (though cheesy) has some moments. I don't think he can school Pablo or Nuno though. That's a tall order.

The drummer in my old band was way into early Genesis, King Crimson, and Yes... especially King Crimson. He thought it was more interesting to have a simple hihat, snare, kick beat in 3/4 at 80bpm than to rock in 4/4 and make it interesting by adding fills and accents. It used to drive me crazy how he would constantly "derock" every riff I came up with. he just wanted to play boring, moody stuff that was influenced by all those old English Prog bands... while taking shots at rock beats and how simple they were. They guy couldn't even play to a click! Needless to say, I quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                        Yngwie stole an a lot more from Ritchie Blackmore, so what's your point? Everyone has influences and everyone learns from those influences.
                        read the previous posts, then you'll get my point.

khabibissell, that music is a great to get drumming ideas... Bill Bruford has played in all the 3 bands you mentioned... and while he is one of the most technically advanced drummers ever.... he is known for "playing for the song" and making great but simple grooves with interesting fills.... so I'm not shure how your drummer listened to that stuff

Comment

I respect Steve Hackett a lot, but when you say "school" Paul Gilbert or Nuno Bettencourt for that matter, it had better be undeniable. Maybe Al DiMeola or John McLaughlin if you want to bring some firepower in, but still, it's subjective.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

read the previous posts, then you'll get my point.
                            Actually, I really couldn't care less about your point.

My point is that all the bickering about who's the better guitarist is actually kinda silly. They BOTH have a lot to teach US, so let's stop debating and start learning.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

what exactly is at least as good as Dark Side Of The Moon?
                              Well i will not explain it because youa re old school lover The stupidest thing one can do is start argueing with old school music lover
                              Last edited by JC_Denton; 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                                Actually, I really couldn't care less about your point.

My point is that all the bickering about who's the better guitarist is actually kinda silly. They BOTH have a lot to teach US, so let's stop debating and start learning.

"NO NO YOU ARE WRONG old shool is better, they are more musical ,they are more taleted they worte better songs , the infulenced more bands, the had THE perfect vison etc"
                                Last edited by JC_Denton; 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X