Steve Hackett duking it out with Paul Gilbert and Nuno Bettencourt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Hackett duking it out with Paul Gilbert and Nuno Bettencourt

Well in the seventies Steve Hackett was one of the proto shredders, I urge all of you to check out all the old Genesis albums from "Nursery cryme" up to "Wind and wuthering" to hear stellar guitar tracks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo0RFJ6CTU

And here he is showing the youngsters how it's done.
    Steve Hackett, Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, John Paul Jones play Darktown at Guitar Wars Concert. Sick dark creepy song.
    Last edited by Blazer; 09-26-2007, 07:18 PM.

if you say so
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Uhhhh, yea, he was shredding like a madman..
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I couldn't get through more than half of Darktown, wtf was that?
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Sorry dude, but I thought that was terrible. Hackett has had some good moments but he's not the guy to school Gilbert or Bettencourt - he doesn't come close.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

he must sell his guitar and buy a turn table or a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
              I couldn't get through more than half of Darktown, wtf was that?
              Lol! Right On!

+100

Comment

better watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm9pricDqSc
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                  Hackett has had some good moments but he's not the guy to school Gilbert or Bettencourt
                  SOME??????

all the early Genesis catalouge has had way more impact in the world of music than any gilberto's arpeggios
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    Someone give me that 3 minutes of my life back.
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      SOME??????

all the early Genesis catalouge has had way more impact in the world of music than any gilberto's arpeggios
                      Really? Ask 99% of people to name a Gabriel-era Genesis tune and see what kind of answer you get. What? Peter Gabriel was in Genesis? Phil Collins wasn't always the singer? etc. etc.

At least if you say To Be With You, people have heard the song. An easy to play song which, interestingly, is devoid of any "Gilbert Arpeggios".

And if you want to talk 70s prog, Yes/Howe smokes Genesis/Hackett any day of the week.
                      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
                        Really? Ask 99% of people to name a Gabriel-era Genesis tune and see what kind of answer you get. What? Peter Gabriel was in Genesis? Phil Collins wasn't always the singer? etc. etc.

At least if you say To Be With You, people have heard the song. An easy to play song which, interestingly, is devoid of any "Gilbert Arpeggios".

And if you want to talk 70s prog, Yes/Howe smokes Genesis/Hackett any day of the week.
                        oh really... how many bands have been influenced by Genesis and how many by Mr. Big... hey I Love Mr. Big but gimme a break... Genesis made a lot of changes in music.

Howe and Yes is great... one of my favs. but they don't smoke Genesis in any way... it's not another stupid wankfest contest... both have made some brilliant music... unlike in today's prog metal, the musicians in real prog rock don't smoke eachother.... totally different generation

Comment

Genesis the band was influential, but it doesn't neccesarily mean Hackett the guitarist was. He has his fans etc etc, but he in terms of sheer influence, he is a relatively minor figure.
                          And so is Gilbert, all things considered. Only a guitarist, and a certain type of guitarist at that, would know who Gilbert is.

Forgetting all of that, and just sticking the two of them on stage together, Hackett cannot school Gilbert. Gilbert is too advanced a musician for anyone to really 'school' in the silly manner that the thread implies.

Comment

Yngwie is a die-hard Hackett fan, Gilbert stoled a lot of shit from Yngwie
                            EVH learned some stuff from Hackett, Gilbert stoled a lot of shit from EVH too

Comment

How can someone be so uncool while holding a guitar? Johnny Ramone was way cooler than all those guys. If someone wants to dig up the corpse Im sure the Zombie Ramone would be cooler too...........

Comment

Working...
                              X